Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Respironics GoLife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14/6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: Pressure Adjustments
(11-02-2012 05:29 PM)Allen Wrote:  I agree with genes about the mouth breathing and need of a chin strap. When I did my overnight sleep study using a nasal mask, the same model as I now own, I began mouth breathing and the first I knew of this was when the nurse woke me to put a chin strap on me.

GeneS and Allen,

Thanks! I will look at a chin strap as I'm willing to try anything as I am determined to feel better for the long term.

Thanks
11-02-2012 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I never snore with my mouth open. Yet I could rattle the windows and get complaints at hotels. The DME gave me a chin strap (just a simple band) so I tried to use it. I hated it. I was struggling with trying to find the right mask and trying to get used to it all.

My point is that unless you know you for sure that you breathe with your mouth open, a full face mask or a chin strap is a waste of money and a piece of equipment you do not need.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-02-2012 07:14 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

I wear my chinstrap quite loose ... doesn't stop me from opening mouth but it does serve as a reminder

see leak graph (page 57)
http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interpretation-Guide.pdf

critical leak threshold > 0.4 L/s or 24 L/min

This detailed leak graph shows significant leak episodes in some periods and none at all in other periods.

The high level of leaks (> 24 L/min) and their characteristic plateau shape (steep rise, flattening off then returning to the base line) indicate the presence of significant and variable leaks, most likely mouth leaks.
11-02-2012 09:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(11-01-2012 10:24 PM)unrested Wrote:  I need to read up more on the centrals as they seem to be my primary downfall. I was never given a copy of my sleep study report, only an AHI number and a diagnosis of severe sleep apnea

Hi unrested,

I suggest you keep an eye on your Flow waveforms to see how long your apneas last. I think apneas of 10 to 20 seconds (although destructive to sleep quality and contributing to fatigue) might not affect O2 saturation much (unless they occur one soon after another), but events of 30 seconds or longer might.

I suggest asking your Dr what you should watch for and what type of events should you immediately report to him.

Regarding your sleep study results, simply call the place up and ask that a copy be mailed or emailed to you. They should do this without charge.
Take care.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 03:40 PM by vsheline.)
11-03-2012 03:36 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Hi unrested,

Also, I think a few weeks ago some wonderful soul posted on this forum a paper reporting clinical results that supplemental oxygen may help improve AHI in some types of central apnea. I've been meaning to find it again and print it out and discuss with my doctor if we can try supplemental O2 to see if this helps reduce my CA events. Might be worth a try.

Take care.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
11-03-2012 03:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
unrested Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto

Other Comments:

(11-02-2012 09:32 PM)zonk Wrote:  I wear my chinstrap quite loose ... doesn't stop me from opening mouth but it does serve as a reminder

see leak graph (page 57)
http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interpretation-Guide.pdf

critical leak threshold > 0.4 L/s or 24 L/min

This detailed leak graph shows significant leak episodes in some periods and none at all in other periods.

The high level of leaks (> 24 L/min) and their characteristic plateau shape (steep rise, flattening off then returning to the base line) indicate the presence of significant and variable leaks, most likely mouth leaks.

Thanks Zonk. This will be tonight's leisure reading. Eat-popcorn

(11-03-2012 03:36 PM)vsheline Wrote:  
(11-01-2012 10:24 PM)unrested Wrote:  I need to read up more on the centrals as they seem to be my primary downfall. I was never given a copy of my sleep study report, only an AHI number and a diagnosis of severe sleep apnea

Hi unrested,

I suggest you keep an eye on your Flow waveforms to see how long your apneas last. I think apneas of 10 to 20 seconds (although destructive to sleep quality and contributing to fatigue) might not affect O2 saturation much (unless they occur one soon after another), but events of 30 seconds or longer might.

I suggest asking your Dr what you should watch for and what type of events should you immediately report to him.

Regarding your sleep study results, simply call the place up and ask that a copy be mailed or emailed to you. They should do this without charge.
Take care.

Thanks for the info vsheline!

I'm using SleepyHead software now and I'm still learning how to read the data. I have also discovered there is a CPAP support group in town so I need to get in touch with them as well.

I'll contact the sleep center on Monday to see about getting a copy of that report.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 08:31 AM by unrested.)
11-04-2012 08:27 AM
unrested Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto

Other Comments:

(11-02-2012 07:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  I never snore with my mouth open. Yet I could rattle the windows and get complaints at hotels. The DME gave me a chin strap (just a simple band) so I tried to use it. I hated it. I was struggling with trying to find the right mask and trying to get used to it all.

My point is that unless you know you for sure that you breathe with your mouth open, a full face mask or a chin strap is a waste of money and a piece of equipment you do not need.

Thanks for the additional input PaulaO2!

I found a $6 chin strap so it won't be a big cost to try it out. I don't think I'm opening my mouth, but I guess I truly don't know. The full face mask was tried during the sleep study and it caused much anxiety / claustrophobia.
11-04-2012 08:37 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  In praise of self administered pressure adjustments hegel 6 304 11-12-2016 11:36 AM
Last Post: robysue
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,220 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Adjustments worked AHI 2,LEAK 0 jxyzobrien 2 316 10-03-2016 09:59 AM
Last Post: jxyzobrien
  What setting adjustments do I need? taly 6 438 10-01-2016 03:24 PM
Last Post: taly
  Lower max pressure affecting pressure increases Rcgop 9 712 07-17-2016 07:03 PM
Last Post: green wings
  I pressure/E pressure - cause/cure - on CAs Rcgop 1 528 06-17-2016 08:47 PM
Last Post: richb
Gross treatment pressure higher than the setting pressure debby2242 24 1,978 04-03-2016 01:34 PM
Last Post: sonicboom