Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Pressure Adjustments
RE: Pressure Adjustments
(11-02-2012, 05:29 PM)Allen Wrote: I agree with genes about the mouth breathing and need of a chin strap. When I did my overnight sleep study using a nasal mask, the same model as I now own, I began mouth breathing and the first I knew of this was when the nurse woke me to put a chin strap on me.

GeneS and Allen,

Thanks! I will look at a chin strap as I'm willing to try anything as I am determined to feel better for the long term.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I never snore with my mouth open. Yet I could rattle the windows and get complaints at hotels. The DME gave me a chin strap (just a simple band) so I tried to use it. I hated it. I was struggling with trying to find the right mask and trying to get used to it all.

My point is that unless you know you for sure that you breathe with your mouth open, a full face mask or a chin strap is a waste of money and a piece of equipment you do not need.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wear my chinstrap quite loose ... doesn't stop me from opening mouth but it does serve as a reminder

see leak graph (page 57)
http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

critical leak threshold > 0.4 L/s or 24 L/min

This detailed leak graph shows significant leak episodes in some periods and none at all in other periods.

The high level of leaks (> 24 L/min) and their characteristic plateau shape (steep rise, flattening off then returning to the base line) indicate the presence of significant and variable leaks, most likely mouth leaks.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2012, 10:24 PM)unrested Wrote: I need to read up more on the centrals as they seem to be my primary downfall. I was never given a copy of my sleep study report, only an AHI number and a diagnosis of severe sleep apnea

Hi unrested,

I suggest you keep an eye on your Flow waveforms to see how long your apneas last. I think apneas of 10 to 20 seconds (although destructive to sleep quality and contributing to fatigue) might not affect O2 saturation much (unless they occur one soon after another), but events of 30 seconds or longer might.

I suggest asking your Dr what you should watch for and what type of events should you immediately report to him.

Regarding your sleep study results, simply call the place up and ask that a copy be mailed or emailed to you. They should do this without charge.
Take care.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi unrested,

Also, I think a few weeks ago some wonderful soul posted on this forum a paper reporting clinical results that supplemental oxygen may help improve AHI in some types of central apnea. I've been meaning to find it again and print it out and discuss with my doctor if we can try supplemental O2 to see if this helps reduce my CA events. Might be worth a try.

Take care.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2012, 09:32 PM)zonk Wrote: I wear my chinstrap quite loose ... doesn't stop me from opening mouth but it does serve as a reminder

see leak graph (page 57)
http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

critical leak threshold > 0.4 L/s or 24 L/min

This detailed leak graph shows significant leak episodes in some periods and none at all in other periods.

The high level of leaks (> 24 L/min) and their characteristic plateau shape (steep rise, flattening off then returning to the base line) indicate the presence of significant and variable leaks, most likely mouth leaks.

Thanks Zonk. This will be tonight's leisure reading. Eat-popcorn

(11-03-2012, 03:36 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(11-01-2012, 10:24 PM)unrested Wrote: I need to read up more on the centrals as they seem to be my primary downfall. I was never given a copy of my sleep study report, only an AHI number and a diagnosis of severe sleep apnea

Hi unrested,

I suggest you keep an eye on your Flow waveforms to see how long your apneas last. I think apneas of 10 to 20 seconds (although destructive to sleep quality and contributing to fatigue) might not affect O2 saturation much (unless they occur one soon after another), but events of 30 seconds or longer might.

I suggest asking your Dr what you should watch for and what type of events should you immediately report to him.

Regarding your sleep study results, simply call the place up and ask that a copy be mailed or emailed to you. They should do this without charge.
Take care.

Thanks for the info vsheline!

I'm using SleepyHead software now and I'm still learning how to read the data. I have also discovered there is a CPAP support group in town so I need to get in touch with them as well.

I'll contact the sleep center on Monday to see about getting a copy of that report.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2012, 07:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I never snore with my mouth open. Yet I could rattle the windows and get complaints at hotels. The DME gave me a chin strap (just a simple band) so I tried to use it. I hated it. I was struggling with trying to find the right mask and trying to get used to it all.

My point is that unless you know you for sure that you breathe with your mouth open, a full face mask or a chin strap is a waste of money and a piece of equipment you do not need.

Thanks for the additional input PaulaO2!

I found a $6 chin strap so it won't be a big cost to try it out. I don't think I'm opening my mouth, but I guess I truly don't know. The full face mask was tried during the sleep study and it caused much anxiety / claustrophobia.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,783 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 583 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 172 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,637 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto - Adjustments sleepy9994 11 1,360 10-28-2023, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.