Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Pressure Issue?
Pressure Issue?
Hey everyone, 
New APAP user here since last Saturday. As profile States I have an Airsense 10 Auto with the Humidifier set to Auto and Heated Tube. My prescribed range is 5-20. I have a Normal size F30i that fits securely. 

I put my SD card in the PC and used SleepHead or OSCAR (not saying which unless it's relevant, I know at least in the past this is a touchy subject). 

I noticed that my pressure seems to peak and stay between ~17-20 almost all night yet there are no leaks reported. It's not uncomfortable nor wakes me up but do find it odd that it is pinned in that range most of the night. 

AHI is typically in the 2's. 

Is there something I am missing here?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure Issue?
You should post a screen shot so people here can see the numbers and the graphs. Typically OSCAR is used. If you are running at higher pressures and can tolerate it, you are better off than most. Once you post your data, people here can advise on your pressure range. Obviously running a min of 5, is too low if you spend almost all your sleep in double digit pressures.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
If the machine is set to auto-titrate you, it will migrate into a safe range of pressure values, minima and maxima, that result in the fewest numbers of events of any kind.  We should assume, if your AHI is typically near "2", that the machine is pretty much dialed in, although we might be able to nudge it, and you, into an AHI less than 1.5 with a bit of luck.

Your machine, if it has an SD card in the slot, will be able to upload your daily data into OSCAR.  Once we see your charts, properly organized per the OSCAR instructions, we might see where the machine is falling short, if it is fall short at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. See attached.

(Ignore the leak before 11:30, the mask wasn't sitting right and I was playing around with it)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You should probably increase your minimum pressure closer to the median but first you should set EPR to 3cm full time. You have a lot of flow limitations which are probably driving the pressure up. EPR will reduce the flow limitations and should reduce the RERAs and hypopnea. It may also lower your median pressure. Please replace the mask pressure with the machine pressure graph. It is more helpful.

RERAS are not included in thr AHI but also disrupt sleep.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2020, 10:30 PM)Melman Wrote: You should probably increase your minimum pressure closer to the median but first you should set EPR to 3cm full time. You have a lot of flow limitations which are probably driving the pressure up. EPR will reduce the flow limitations and should reduce the RERAs and hypopnea. It may also lower your median pressure. Please replace the mask pressure with the machine pressure graph. It is more helpful.

RERAS are not included in thr AHI but also disrupt sleep.

My sleep center is being of no help, trying to get my machine linked to them, so here we go with crowd-sourced advice (nothing wrong with that but am annoyed by how little help the sleep center is offering after the hundreds of dollars I've paid them). I will try setting the EPR and posting a new graph tomorrow. Thank you for your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2020, 12:42 PM)SyCoREAPER Wrote: My sleep center is being of no help, trying to get my machine linked to them, so here we go with crowd-sourced advice (nothing wrong with that but am annoyed by how little help the sleep center is offering after the hundreds of dollars I've paid them). I will try setting the EPR and posting a new graph tomorrow. Thank you for your advice.

Edit:
After re-reading the above
Please do not mistake my frustration with a lack of gratitude or appreciation for this community or it's advice. Quite the contrary, without you I would be Dead in the water right now. Thank you everyone. I will post an update tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand that your frustration is not with the forum. Based on many posts in the forum over several years it's clear that very few of us, including me, get much meaningful support from sleep canters or our doctors. You are not alone.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2020, 01:55 PM)Melman Wrote: I understand that your frustration is not with the forum. Based on many posts in the forum over several years it's clear that very few of us, including me, get much meaningful support from sleep canters or our doctors. You are not alone.

Good Morning Melman and everyone! Thank you for understanding and help. Please see attached for my latest sleep graph

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers are good enough that you always need to indicate how you feel.  When answering that question in a medical context you never want to provide the standard "I feel fine" answer.  The question that was being asked was "what are your symptoms, what should I be looking for?"

Your min pressure should never be lower than 4 + EPR so Min Pressure = 4 + EPR = 4 + 3 = 7.
This allows you to take full therapeutic value from your EPR.

How you feel is important because it plays into do you need a more advanced device that can provide more pressure support to better manage your flow limits and RERAs.
With your RERAs you should change your indicator from AHI to RDI.  RDI = AHI + RERAs
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 42 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 107 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,412 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 105 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 667 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 186 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.