Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Pressure Range Assistance
Pressure Range Assistance
New user here looking for assistance looking at the data and for settings range for an Auto. I was set with a prescription for a pressure of 7. This did lower my AHI to 9-12 from my sleep study of 25. After some reading here on the forum I changed the settings on my dreamstation to Auto and I have tried 5-10 & 6-13 both of which had improvements 5-10:5.92, 6-13:7.61

Edit1: Can't fit under 200k and can't post links. trying text link for copy and paste
Edit2: 3 images attached and png-8.

drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ZSlp-Tx7r8cThPcUlEbE10cGM

[attachment=3116]

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure Range Assistance
Autarch welcome to the board. I'm sure some of the more experienced members will be posting shortly to assist you with settings. A couple things that stick out to me is you have a very low leak rate and most of your OA's are taking place when you are at max pressure of 10. Also you median pressure is showing as 10 which would lead me to think you need more pressure, especially since the Dreamstations are a little slower responding. My guess would be others may suggest raising your min to 9 and letting the max go to 20 so we can see what pressures are really needed to treat the OA's.

Hang in there and good luck going forward.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are bumping up against your max pressure of 10 for most of the night. You need to give the Apap room to work. Looks like you need a higher pressure to attack your apneas.
I would move the minimum pressure to 8cm and the maximum pressure to 12. Watch for a few days and see if AHI comes down.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the welcome.
I managed to get all 3 files with the ranes shrunk and I added them back to the original post. I did try 6-13 last night but the AHI increased from the previous night even though the machine did not max out at 13. Based on what you see from the 6-13 is that due to the range being so large?
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Ray on upping you settings. If the machine does not need more pressure to get the air flowing it will not raise it. By allowing the machine to find what works for you and tracking your breathing with Sleepyhead you can better understand your body. It will take some weeks of tracking to get a good pattern.

The two basic sensors in the machine are a pressure sensor and a flow sensor. The machine uses the information to adjust itself. You can limit what it will do with the settings. At the start of treatment with a fully Auto cpap I would let it do its job and look at the outcome.

Keep reading and learning to control your treatment. You are in good company here. We may express different ideas as each of us has our own history.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation is slower than the ResMed machines to raise pressure. This is neither good nor bad; it's just how they work.
It may be necessary to raise the min pressure up from 6 cm-water to get the Dreamstation closer to therapeutic pressure.
I wouldn't jump on this immediately as changing too many things at once may cause one to lose the target.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try 8-13 IMHO based on what I see. I'm not the best at it but the people here helped me a lot and that's based on my personal experience. Also, don't change too many things at once and try to get at least 5 days of data between changes, that's what helped me.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the earlier post recommending a minimum pressure of 9.0 and maximum of 20. The machine should sort out much of the obstructive apnea. For now, your pressure is not very high, and we should try the higher pressure to see if that alone can control these events. If not, we can look at maintaining your airway through sleep position and neck support. First things first, this appears to be mostly related to too low pressure. The chart shows a lot of breathing effort and even hypopnea and OA as you begin therapy at 6 cm. You need to boost that minimum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your input. What about the Dreamstation FLEX settings? I have left them on their defaults but I have not felt discomfort at all even when it was set as a CPAP (although it was a low pressure). Is it better to turn FLEX off completely while trying to find correct pressure?

Edit: also how does one handle having to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom? I've just disconnected the hose gone and come back as I was afraid it would cause an overall break in the session. Is it better to stop the machine completely? Incidentally I no longer get up nearly as often as I did before I started therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 01:12 PM)If OPlAutarch Wrote: Thank you everyone for your input. What about the Dreamstation FLEX settings? I have left them on their defaults but I have not felt discomfort at all even when it was set as a CPAP (although it was a low pressure). Is it better to turn FLEX off completely while trying to find correct pressure?

Edit: also how does one handle having to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom? I've just disconnected the hose gone and come back as I was afraid it would cause an overall break in the session. Is it better to stop the machine completely? Incidentally I no longer get up nearly as often as I did before I started therapy.

Flex settings are there for your comfort and is chosen based on user preference, and how you feel using the feature.  You can receive "up to" 2cm pressure relief and is based on flow.

Here is a brief description of how AFlex works:
 Flex settings 1, 2, and 3. for PR machines
You can receive up to 2cm pressure relief, which is flow based.
• C-Flex – Provides pressure relief upon exhalation.
• A-Flex/C-Flex+ – Provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation.

Try all 3 settings to see what feels best.

As far as getting up, it is best to turn off machine, disconnect mask hose.  When you return, just connect you mask hose and turn machine back on.  Yes, it will show a break, but SleepyHead will average and add everything as one night.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,108 8 hours ago
Last Post: jkossis
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 527 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,596 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] Interpreting OSCAR data - any assistance would be incredibly appreciated :) SleepyVoyager 20 976 02-29-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 297 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 373 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  AutoSV data interpretation assistance needed PappaJoe 21 743 02-11-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.