Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Pressure Settings Can not be Controled
Angry 
Pressure Settings Can not be Controled
I think I may have a Problem. I have a Resmed S9 Autoset.
Set S9 on Cpap Mode with pressure setting of 11. avg pressure =>14
Set S9 on Auto Mode with Pressure 8 / 12 avg pressure=>14
Set S9 on Auto Mode With Pressure 15/18 avg pressure= <15
I have been using CPAP for 12 years and just received the S9 5 months ago. It is nice to finally see the numbers.

My problem is if a min, or max, setting is dialed in should not the avg. pressure be within those min. or max. setting????

I am trying to dial in a good pressure setting because leak rates are high 28, AHI are in the 16's,etc., Centrals are all above 8's.
Seems like I can not change pressure as all avg pressures are in the 13's or 14's.

You name it I have tried it, for example I am taping my mouth now for 1 week to try and reduce leaks. No changes. I have tried all sequence of pressure settings in both auto and cpap mode, changed masks, set EPR, Humidity, hoses, two types, unplugged and plugged machine back in, removed card for 1 week, put back in etc.etc.etc..

Am I correct to think that the avg pressure reading should be less than the highest setting, and more than the minimum setting, and that when set on cpap mode the avg pressure should be about the same as the cpap setting?????? Help. THE DME or The Docter aren't.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure Settings Can not be Controled
Hi schipper06811,
WELCOME! to the forum!
Hang in there for suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2013, 04:54 PM)schipper06811 Wrote: I think I may have a Problem. I have a Resmed S9 Autoset.
Set S9 on Cpap Mode with pressure setting of 11. avg pressure =>14
Set S9 on Auto Mode with Pressure 8 / 12 avg pressure=>14
Set S9 on Auto Mode With Pressure 15/18 avg pressure= <15
I have been using CPAP for 12 years and just received the S9 5 months ago. It is nice to finally see the numbers.

My problem is if a min, or max, setting is dialed in should not the avg. pressure be within those min. or max. setting????

I am trying to dial in a good pressure setting because leak rates are high 28, AHI are in the 16's,etc., Centrals are all above 8's.
Seems like I can not change pressure as all avg pressures are in the 13's or 14's.

You name it I have tried it, for example I am taping my mouth now for 1 week to try and reduce leaks. No changes. I have tried all sequence of pressure settings in both auto and cpap mode, changed masks, set EPR, Humidity, hoses, two types, unplugged and plugged machine back in, removed card for 1 week, put back in etc.etc.etc..

Am I correct to think that the avg pressure reading should be less than the highest setting, and more than the minimum setting, and that when set on cpap mode the avg pressure should be about the same as the cpap setting?????? Help. THE DME or The Docter aren't.

Where are you getting this data from? On CPAP mode, the pressure is a set pressure, for example, 12 and that pressure is constant throughout the time you are using the machine.

When in AUTO, there is a pressure range and your pressure should fall within that range depending on what is happening and what is needed while you are asleep.

If you aren't using software, I would encourage you to download it and take a look at your data that way.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with me50. You need to get and use either the SleepyHead or ResScan monitoring software. Also, have you obtained the Clinician's manual for your machine? What was your prescribed pressure?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your machine is somehow stuck in CPAP mode at a pressure of 14. Can you tell us what's on the on-screen menu when you're breathing? If what I'm thinking is right it should just report 14 during both inhales and exhales.

It may be that your equipment provider left directions on the SD card to set your machine's pressure, so no matter what changes you make, as soon as the machine turns on it reads the directions and sets the pressure to 14, as prescribed by the doctor.

I know that PRS1 machines can do this. Not sure about ResMeds.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you sure you are just looking at the previous night's average? If you are getting the numbers from the screen you need to make sure it is set to 1 day or you will be getting an average over multiple days. Mine defaults to a 30 day average and I always have to dial it back to 1 day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2013, 12:05 AM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Are you sure you are just looking at the previous night's average? If you are getting the numbers from the screen you need to make sure it is set to 1 day or you will be getting an average over multiple days. Mine defaults to a 30 day average and I always have to dial it back to 1 day.

I would bet this is the issue. By default it does show the 30 day avg. You probably know this but... you can hold the "I" and Double Check Marks buttons down when looking at the Sleep Report to get into an additional reporting mode where you can change it to the 1 day report.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2013, 08:54 AM)tkeating4 Wrote:
(12-02-2013, 12:05 AM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Are you sure you are just looking at the previous night's average? If you are getting the numbers from the screen you need to make sure it is set to 1 day or you will be getting an average over multiple days. Mine defaults to a 30 day average and I always have to dial it back to 1 day.

I would bet this is the issue. By default it does show the 30 day avg. You probably know this but... you can hold the "I" and Double Check Marks buttons down when looking at the Sleep Report to get into an additional reporting mode where you can change it to the 1 day report.

Just checked to make sure I set it for one day. Yeak, it was set for 30 days. I suppose that maybe it goes to a default when unplugged.
Thank you for the check list. Ihave all the suggestions listed above in the post covered (using ResMed software).

Thanks for the double check reminder, now to see if I can start bringing some numbers down. Time to see what the next issue will be.
Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2013, 04:54 PM)schipper06811 Wrote: I am trying to dial in a good pressure setting because leak rates are high 28
Where is that leak number coming from? The S9's LCD? Is it the 95% leak rate?

Does Mr. Red Frowny show up or does Mr. Green Smiley show up in the short version of the sleep quality report?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,573 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 449 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 363 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 316 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Smile pleasse help me optimize my APAP pressure settings Swsch2985 2 363 01-14-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Help interpret OSCAR for best pressure settings 444zane3 3 401 01-11-2024, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.