Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Pressure gets lower over time?
Pressure gets lower over time?
Hi!

New here.

Struggling with my ResMed Lumis 100 VPAP ST....

Using it in ST mode (Might also be called "bi-level", I think?).
Been fiddling with the pressure settings, currently they're at
EPAP 13
IPAP 18
(Don't know the unit... language is set to Swedish, if that matters.)

The problem:
I thought these settings would mean it switches between a fixed low pressure and a fixed high pressure? But after using it for a short while (minutes) I get the feeling its high pressure starts to drop. After a while it feels like I barely get any breathing support at all.

I have already had the machine swapped once, the nurse said this one was brand new, but the problem remains... so I don't think it's a mechanical problem anymore... perhaps a setting somewhere that I've overlooked?

I'm fairly new to being supercharged, so I probably have a thing or two to learn........

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure gets lower over time?
Hi peter e - Welcome
There are two different units of measure for pressure on the Resmed.  Your numbers would seen to indicate that your machine is using centimeters H2O.  Commonly written here as 13cm or 18cm.  Your questions about settings and your problem will need to be answered by someone familiar with your CPAP model.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect pressure is not dropping it is more likely you are getting used to it I don’t know if the machine is supported by sleepyhead or just resscan, either way the graphs will show us what is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed Lumis 100 VPAP ST is is a noninvasive ventilator designed for spontaneously breathing. It has both a ramp up and ramp down function. I wonder if the ramp up is on and set to 4, this could produce the effect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jaswilliams:
I've considered it, and I do have some self doubt, but... I actually don't think I'm imagining it.
In the beginning it's a very distinct feeling, each intake push fairly hard on the seal, since I have raised the IPAP level in an attempt to get more air, I think it was 16 (cm?) to begin with.
But after a rather short amount of time (minutes) I feel that the push against my face is much lower AND I feel like I don't get enough air. If I intentionally take deep breaths, I still get air (it's still a positive pressure after all) but when I try to relax, try to sleep, my breaths seem to get shallower and shallower.
I'd buy "getting used to it" if it had been an hour or more, but not after just a few minutes.

gwc2795:
Ramp is turned off. (Both of them.)
Ramp up was activated in the beginning but I disabled that too rather soon.
It seems easier to me to fit the mask properly if I have full pressure from the beginning. With Ramp it might start to leak when pressure rises, if I haven't gotten the mask in the proper position.
And yes, I've had some problems finding a mask with a good fit... but as long as I don't move around too much in my sleep, this one does the job.
(The leak report thingie in the morning is always green = ok, at least.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, and I got the clinical manual today, but couldn't find any settings that might cause this phenomenon. (Nothing that ins't already deactivated, at least...)
Then again, my English skills aren't perfect so I may have missed something.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,448 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 330 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 623 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 174 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 811 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.