Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Pressure tics and awakenings, plus the 90% question
Question 
Pressure tics and awakenings, plus the 90% question
Okay, so I've been waking up about 2-3 times each night, with a kind of strange, panicky feeling. Interestingly, it always seems to be right after my System One has one of those "hunt & peck" 1.5cm pressure tics.

So that being said, I am going to try putting my machine on a fixed pressure, and see if that improves things while still keeping my AHI below 1.5.

Based on my average stats for the last 2 weeks, what should I consider putting my fixed pressure at?

My minimum pressure is set at 7cm (which is what I was titrated at)
My max pressure is set at 10.5cm

My Mean pressure was 8.2cm
My peak average pressure was 8.7cm
My 90% pressure was 9.5cm

Oh - and what does 90% mean?

Also, if you have any other suggestions regarding this, I'm all ears. Smile

Thanks folks!
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure tics and awakenings, plus the 90% question
(07-14-2015, 06:07 PM)Ailu Wrote: Oh - and what does 90% mean?
Pressure was at or below that number for 90% of the night

From the provider guide ...
90% Pressure - During any given night, the device recognizes the 90% Pressure achieved by the Auto Algorithm. 90% Pressure is defined as the pressure at which the device spent 90% of the session time at or below. For example, if the device recognized airflow for 10 hours, and 9 hours were spent at or below 11 cm H2O, and 1 hour was spent above 11 cm H2O, then the 90% Pressure would be 11 cm H2O. This screen displays the average of these individual nightly values of 90% Pressure over a 7 day and 30 day time frame (provided the device has at least 7 or 30 days of data respectively). If the device has only 5 days of data to use for the calculation, the 5 day average value will be seen under the 7 day display. This screen only displays in Auto-CPAP therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hang in there, and adjust one thing at a time. Then try it for a few days,

Based on your few days of data, I think I would set 9 and an EPR of 1. Then not touch it for a week.

This is my opinion, I am no expert!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk & Dave!

Dave - sorry but what is "EPR"? I don't seem to have a setting for it on my machine....

Thanks! Smile
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR (Expiratory Pressure Relief) available on ResMed machines and the not quite equivalent Flex available on Respironcis machines

I have no need for it, find it disruptive, but many folks like the idea of breathing out at lower pressure

EPR http://www.resmed.com/int/patients_and_f...c=patients
Flex http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/h...efault.wpd
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2015, 06:07 PM)Ailu Wrote: Okay, so I've been waking up about 2-3 times each night, with a kind of strange, panicky feeling. Interestingly, it always seems to be right after my System One has one of those "hunt & peck" 1.5cm pressure tics.

So that being said, I am going to try putting my machine on a fixed pressure, and see if that improves things while still keeping my AHI below 1.5.

Based on my average stats for the last 2 weeks, what should I consider putting my fixed pressure at?

Thanks folks!

Ailu, if you want to go to a single CPAP pressure, the 90% pressure is generally accepted as the best therapeutic pressure. It excludes those excursions Respironics machines like to probe, and is high enough to abate any events.

The 90% pressure (percentile) is the pressure that is not exceeded 90% of the time, or you were at or below this pressure 90% of the time. Same thing.

Great idea giving CPAP pressure a try. It works well for lots of people. You can do this by setting the machine in CPAP mode, or by setting the minimum and maximum pressure at 9.5 in APAP mode. The advantage of staying in APAP mode is that you will continue to record flow limitations and RERA that may not be recorded in CPAP mode.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2015, 09:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 06:07 PM)Ailu Wrote: Okay, so I've been waking up about 2-3 times each night, with a kind of strange, panicky feeling. Interestingly, it always seems to be right after my System One has one of those "hunt & peck" 1.5cm pressure tics.

Thanks folks!

Ailu, if you want to go to a single CPAP pressure, the 90% pressure is generally accepted as the best therapeutic pressure. It excludes those excursions Respironics machines like to probe, and is high enough to abate any events.

The 90% pressure (percentile) is the pressure that is not exceeded 90% of the time, or you were at or below this pressure 90% of the time. Same thing.

Great idea giving CPAP pressure a try. It works well for lots of people. You can do this by setting the machine in CPAP mode, or by setting the minimum and maximum pressure at 9.5 in APAP mode. The advantage of staying in APAP mode is that you will continue to record flow limitations and RERA that may not be recorded in CPAP mode.

Ooooh! Awesome idea! I will do just that. Almost beddie-bie time! :grin:

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2015, 07:29 PM)parkerdt Wrote: Hang in there, and adjust one thing at a time. Then try it for a few days,

Based on your few days of data, I think I would set 9 and an EPR of 1. Then not touch it for a week.

This is my opinion, I am no expert!

Thanks Dave! Yeah, I have it on A-Flex, setting of 1. That seemed the most comfortable to me.

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
If 7cm was the recommended optimal titrated pressure AND the sleep doctor's report on the study so recommended and prescribed it, if it were me I'd go no higher than 7cm and see how that goes for a few days. You can always adjust up from there, and it seems you may be having awakenings due to auto mode pressure variations.

I switched over to straight CPAP after months on auto. My optimal titrated pressure was 12cm and was the sleep doctor's recommendation in his written report.

I've never exceeded 11.5cm straight CPAP, and now I've dropped down to 10cm the past few days with no adverse effect. I try to sleep on my side at this lower pressure.

Initially, I see no reason to start any higher than 7cm, which is your 'cover all' pressure if indeed optimal, and supposedly good even supine in REM.

How sleep centers manually titrate to optimal pressure:

[Image: CPAP%20TITRATION%20EXPLAINED_zpswpt5uay1.png]

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ted. So glad the sleep study's pressure worked out in your case.

I would defintiely have done the same. But in Sleepyhead, the data clearly showed me having apneas at 7cm. When it would see an apnea, my System One would raise the pressure to prevent more of them. I must have had an unusually good night when I was titrated, because it surely does not represent what I am seeing in Sleepyhead.

But who knows? I am a scientist at heart, so I know I will keep experimenting. I am going to keep lowering the pressure until I have a fantastic few nights of sleep. Maybe 7cm is where I will have the least amount of issues. I'll keep reporting back here and let you know. Smile
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,281 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,639 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Early awakenings - CPAP Help Sonatine600 0 348 11-22-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Sonatine600
  Many Awakenings with Heart Rate Spikes jr991 3 496 11-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jr991
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 877 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 600 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.