[Pressure] Pressures over 20?
TiredToo Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Airfit F10 (also have a Simplus, Eson and P10)
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: Started CPAP Feb 9th, 2015. Suffered for way too many years prior.

Sex: Male

RE: Pressures over 20?
My wife did comment that I was snoring quite a bit last night, which she says is a bit unusual since I started CPAP. I think at this point I will see how these settings work for a few nights. As I mentioned, last night was probably a much deeper sleep than typical since I was extra-tired.

I agree on the leaks. If I can't get those better with different mask styles and sizes then I will probably just need to lower the pressure or find another solution to the leaks, such as duct tape. (j/k)
03-07-2015 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
gondolabob Offline

Members

Machine: Respirionics System One Auto CPAP With Humidifier
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quatro
Humidifier: Respitionics System One
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 20 Auto
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: Started Therapy November 2007

(03-07-2015 10:26 AM)TiredToo Wrote:  My wife did comment that I was snoring quite a bit last night, which she says is a bit unusual since I started CPAP. I think at this point I will see how these settings work for a few nights. As I mentioned, last night was probably a much deeper sleep than typical since I was extra-tired.

I agree on the leaks. If I can't get those better with different mask styles and sizes then I will probably just need to lower the pressure or find another solution to the leaks, such as duct tape. (j/k)

Never used duct tape on the mask but have used electrical tape on the hose when it split Wink.

When you mentioned about trying a different mask I think you may be on to something. I've only used a full face mask so I don't know anything about a nasal mask, but I do know that there are passageways from the nose to the throat. This would lead me to believe that some of your pressure in going to your throat and out your mouth.

Also without your mouth being covered how do you know whether you are breathing through your nose or your mouth. With a full face mask there's no possibility of not getting full benefit od the pressure.

Any one else agree with this possibility?
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2015 11:53 AM by gondolabob.)
03-07-2015 11:49 AM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

There are many threads on taping to prevent leaks from the mouth. Duct tape is usually reserved to silence abducted hostages. A cloth medical tape might be a better choice.

Frankly if you are able to tolerate nasal therapy without excessive leaks from the mouth, the nasal pillows are the easiest way to avoid leaks from the mask/skin interface. Some people experience minor irritation at first, but most succeed with no problem.

03-07-2015 12:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(03-07-2015 11:49 AM)gondolabob Wrote:  Never used duct tape on the mask but have used electrical tape on the hose when it split Wink.

Bet you never knew that older (the good stuff) electrical tape contains lead.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-07-2015 12:57 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(03-07-2015 12:57 PM)justMongo Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 11:49 AM)gondolabob Wrote:  Never used duct tape on the mask but have used electrical tape on the hose when it split Wink.

Bet you never knew that older (the good stuff) electrical tape contains lead.

So do the bullets we put into the abducted hostages.

Actually, the OP was j/k about using duct tape. Good thing or I would have had to give him a stern lecture about not using duct tape, and using duck tape instead.
03-07-2015 01:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Lip taping is a dangerous practice.

You can tell if your leaks are mouth leaks but looking at the leak rate graph. If they go up then are rough but flat topped like mesas, it's a mouth leak. If it is a tall spike with little to no mesa to them, it's a mask leak.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-07-2015 01:17 PM
TiredToo Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments: Started CPAP Feb 9th, 2015. Suffered for way too many years prior.

Yes... just kidding about the duct tape. I'm in the same camp that thinks taping your mouth shut is a bad idea.

@Paula: Looking over all of my leak charts at various zoom levels I do see obvious spikes and obvious mesas. I assume that the thought behind the spikes vs mesas is that mask leaks tend to be more temporary, thus tending to show as short lived spikes? Or is there another reason? I ask because while most of my mask leaks do tend to be short in duration, I have on a couple of occasions awoken to a pretty dislodged mask that was blowing large amounts of air out which I would guess would have appeared as more of a mesa. I'd look back at that but I have no idea which day it was.

Assuming that in most cases the spikes vs mesas holds true, then it would appear that most of my large leaks are actually mouth leaks. I have worn a chin strap since I started this but my wife told me today that she does hear me "blowing raspberries" quite often and added that last night was worse and louder than usual. Perhaps the strap isn't tight enough?

@Sleeprider & Gondola: I ordered a P10 nasal pillow mask and also a different size cushion for both my Eson nasal and Simplus full-face. I received the new P10 today and plan to try it tonight (back in APAP mode). Because of my apparent mouth leak problem and wanting to get away from the chin strap, I actually bought the Simplus (in medium) a couple weeks ago but I had problems with mask leaks and felt better off with the Eson. I later purchased a large cushion for the Simplus based on their sizing card and a YouTube video, figuring the medium was a mistake but the large leaked far worse than the medium so back into the drawer it went.

So this is where I am at now:
  • I will try the shiny new P10 tonight and try tightening my chin strap.
  • Soon I should receive a small cushion for the Simplus FFM and if I still can't get it to work then I'd say the Simplus is not for me and will need to try a different brand or model. I do like the feel of the F&P cushions though - although maybe they all feel about the same?
  • Soon I should receive a medium cushion for the Eson NM because the current large one that I am using just seems a bit too tall on my face and I get occasional leaks into my eyes.
03-07-2015 05:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

(03-07-2015 05:05 PM)TiredToo Wrote:  I will try the shiny new P10 tonight and try tightening my chin strap.

Be careful with the tightening thing when it comes to the chinstrap. It is not supposed to force your mouth to stay shut. That's what Mrs. TiredToo is supposed to do. Essentially, you want it to "encourage" your jaw to stay forward when you relax, so that you can successfully block the airway with your tongue.

If you use it too tight it can create really really bad pain in the whatchacallit gland in between your jaw and your ear.
03-07-2015 06:03 PM
TiredToo Offline

Preferred Members

(03-07-2015 06:03 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 05:05 PM)TiredToo Wrote:  I will try the shiny new P10 tonight and try tightening my chin strap.
Essentially, you want it to "encourage" your jaw to stay forward when you relax, so that you can successfully block the airway with your tongue.

Interesting. I think I have read that elsewhere here - or at least that it should pull your lower jaw forward - but never put too much thought into it. Out of curiosity, I just plugged my nose, moved my lower jaw forward a little and partially closed my mouth then tried to breathe. I never knew how much that actually blocked your airway off through your mouth! I was actually able to breathe out (with restriction) but it was very difficult if not impossible to breathe in. Kind of makes me wonder though... since I was still somewhat able to breathe out, I wonder if it is still possible to leak air through your mouth (resulting in blowing raspberries) even with the chinstrap correctly tightened.

(03-07-2015 06:03 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  If you use it too tight it can create really really bad pain in the whatchacallit gland in between your jaw and your ear.

Now you're just throwing around your fancy schmancy medical terms! Big Grin
03-07-2015 06:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Yes, you can still leak air. But once you have successfully blocked the airway with the tongue, the amount and frequency of "lip leak" will probably not be significant. I spit a little air once in awhile, especially when I'm sleeping on my back. But it is never enough to impact my overall statistics.
03-07-2015 08:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question on masks that will handle higher pressures like 27 nanook683 13 920 09-21-2016 07:14 AM
Last Post: nanook683
  Help (Resetting Pressures) Linda57 9 510 08-19-2016 06:57 PM
Last Post: icyura10
  95%/ max pressures rising - wondering why? Carbon 7 752 05-08-2016 04:53 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Help please with fine-tuning Resmed ASV pressures Asjb 9 720 04-29-2016 04:48 AM
Last Post: Asjb
  [Pressure] Danger Involved - Changing your own CPAP pressures SuperSleeper 99 29,921 04-12-2016 04:51 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  What do pressures mean Inky1 18 1,631 03-28-2016 07:26 AM
Last Post: Ed1101
  [Treatment] Cant seem to adjust pressures Cookie 24 2,315 10-31-2015 07:05 AM
Last Post: Cookie