Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Pressures over 20?
RE: Pressures over 20?
My wife did comment that I was snoring quite a bit last night, which she says is a bit unusual since I started CPAP. I think at this point I will see how these settings work for a few nights. As I mentioned, last night was probably a much deeper sleep than typical since I was extra-tired.

I agree on the leaks. If I can't get those better with different mask styles and sizes then I will probably just need to lower the pressure or find another solution to the leaks, such as duct tape. (j/k)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 10:26 AM)TiredToo Wrote: My wife did comment that I was snoring quite a bit last night, which she says is a bit unusual since I started CPAP. I think at this point I will see how these settings work for a few nights. As I mentioned, last night was probably a much deeper sleep than typical since I was extra-tired.

I agree on the leaks. If I can't get those better with different mask styles and sizes then I will probably just need to lower the pressure or find another solution to the leaks, such as duct tape. (j/k)

Never used duct tape on the mask but have used electrical tape on the hose when it split Wink.

When you mentioned about trying a different mask I think you may be on to something. I've only used a full face mask so I don't know anything about a nasal mask, but I do know that there are passageways from the nose to the throat. This would lead me to believe that some of your pressure in going to your throat and out your mouth.

Also without your mouth being covered how do you know whether you are breathing through your nose or your mouth. With a full face mask there's no possibility of not getting full benefit od the pressure.

Any one else agree with this possibility?
Post Reply Post Reply
There are many threads on taping to prevent leaks from the mouth. Duct tape is usually reserved to silence abducted hostages. A cloth medical tape might be a better choice.

Frankly if you are able to tolerate nasal therapy without excessive leaks from the mouth, the nasal pillows are the easiest way to avoid leaks from the mask/skin interface. Some people experience minor irritation at first, but most succeed with no problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 11:49 AM)gondolabob Wrote: Never used duct tape on the mask but have used electrical tape on the hose when it split Wink.

Bet you never knew that older (the good stuff) electrical tape contains lead.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 12:57 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(03-07-2015, 11:49 AM)gondolabob Wrote: Never used duct tape on the mask but have used electrical tape on the hose when it split Wink.

Bet you never knew that older (the good stuff) electrical tape contains lead.

So do the bullets we put into the abducted hostages.

Actually, the OP was j/k about using duct tape. Good thing or I would have had to give him a stern lecture about not using duct tape, and using duck tape instead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lip taping is a dangerous practice.

You can tell if your leaks are mouth leaks but looking at the leak rate graph. If they go up then are rough but flat topped like mesas, it's a mouth leak. If it is a tall spike with little to no mesa to them, it's a mask leak.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes... just kidding about the duct tape. I'm in the same camp that thinks taping your mouth shut is a bad idea.

@Paula: Looking over all of my leak charts at various zoom levels I do see obvious spikes and obvious mesas. I assume that the thought behind the spikes vs mesas is that mask leaks tend to be more temporary, thus tending to show as short lived spikes? Or is there another reason? I ask because while most of my mask leaks do tend to be short in duration, I have on a couple of occasions awoken to a pretty dislodged mask that was blowing large amounts of air out which I would guess would have appeared as more of a mesa. I'd look back at that but I have no idea which day it was.

Assuming that in most cases the spikes vs mesas holds true, then it would appear that most of my large leaks are actually mouth leaks. I have worn a chin strap since I started this but my wife told me today that she does hear me "blowing raspberries" quite often and added that last night was worse and louder than usual. Perhaps the strap isn't tight enough?

@Sleeprider & Gondola: I ordered a P10 nasal pillow mask and also a different size cushion for both my Eson nasal and Simplus full-face. I received the new P10 today and plan to try it tonight (back in APAP mode). Because of my apparent mouth leak problem and wanting to get away from the chin strap, I actually bought the Simplus (in medium) a couple weeks ago but I had problems with mask leaks and felt better off with the Eson. I later purchased a large cushion for the Simplus based on their sizing card and a YouTube video, figuring the medium was a mistake but the large leaked far worse than the medium so back into the drawer it went.

So this is where I am at now:
  • I will try the shiny new P10 tonight and try tightening my chin strap.
  • Soon I should receive a small cushion for the Simplus FFM and if I still can't get it to work then I'd say the Simplus is not for me and will need to try a different brand or model. I do like the feel of the F&P cushions though - although maybe they all feel about the same?
  • Soon I should receive a medium cushion for the Eson NM because the current large one that I am using just seems a bit too tall on my face and I get occasional leaks into my eyes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 05:05 PM)TiredToo Wrote: I will try the shiny new P10 tonight and try tightening my chin strap.

Be careful with the tightening thing when it comes to the chinstrap. It is not supposed to force your mouth to stay shut. That's what Mrs. TiredToo is supposed to do. Essentially, you want it to "encourage" your jaw to stay forward when you relax, so that you can successfully block the airway with your tongue.

If you use it too tight it can create really really bad pain in the whatchacallit gland in between your jaw and your ear.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 06:03 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(03-07-2015, 05:05 PM)TiredToo Wrote: I will try the shiny new P10 tonight and try tightening my chin strap.
Essentially, you want it to "encourage" your jaw to stay forward when you relax, so that you can successfully block the airway with your tongue.

Interesting. I think I have read that elsewhere here - or at least that it should pull your lower jaw forward - but never put too much thought into it. Out of curiosity, I just plugged my nose, moved my lower jaw forward a little and partially closed my mouth then tried to breathe. I never knew how much that actually blocked your airway off through your mouth! I was actually able to breathe out (with restriction) but it was very difficult if not impossible to breathe in. Kind of makes me wonder though... since I was still somewhat able to breathe out, I wonder if it is still possible to leak air through your mouth (resulting in blowing raspberries) even with the chinstrap correctly tightened.

(03-07-2015, 06:03 PM)retired_guy Wrote: If you use it too tight it can create really really bad pain in the whatchacallit gland in between your jaw and your ear.

Now you're just throwing around your fancy schmancy medical terms! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you can still leak air. But once you have successfully blocked the airway with the tongue, the amount and frequency of "lip leak" will probably not be significant. I spit a little air once in awhile, especially when I'm sleeping on my back. But it is never enough to impact my overall statistics.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 347 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,815 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 497 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 447 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central sleep apnea? need help on pressures flappypalate 2 499 11-23-2023, 05:37 PM
Last Post: flappypalate
  Need help falling asleep with changing BiPap pressures ISeekRem 7 662 08-13-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Ffm requires higher pressures yankees123 2 573 05-15-2023, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.