Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Pressures over 20?
RE: Pressures over 20?
There seem to be different schools of thought about placement of the tongue when blocking air flow through the mouth. Some say the tongue should be on the roof of the mouth just behind the upper front teeth. Others feel that the tongue should be on the roof of the mouth towards the back of the mouth.

When awake I can prevent mouth leaks with the tongue seal at 20 cm/H2O with no problem. My problem is that I can not keep it that way while asleep. Keeping your lower jaw forward should help to keep your airway open but I am not sure what its effect on sealing the mouth is.

I have tried sealing my mouth with just my lips and I can not get it to work no matter how hard I try to press my lips together. So for me and I think for most it is tongue seal or nothing. In fact, I have to keep some semblance of tongue seal working with my FFM in order to keep down the dry mouth problem.

Best Regards,

PaytonA (Manning???) Laugh-a-lot Sad

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 08:22 PM)PaytonA Wrote: When awake I can prevent mouth leaks with the tongue seal at 20 cm/H2O with no problem. My problem is that I can not keep it that way while asleep.

That is the part I don't get about the tongue position either. I have no control over my entire body while I'm sleeping, let alone my tongue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 08:22 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I have tried sealing my mouth with just my lips and I can not get it to work no matter how hard I try to press my lips together. So for me and I think for most it is tongue seal or nothing. In fact, I have to keep some semblance of tongue seal working with my FFM in order to keep down the dry mouth problem.

Best Regards,

That's the problem with those big old ring piercings. Hmmm, maybe you should have gone for the belly-button option after all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 10:47 PM)retired_guy Wrote: That's the problem with those big old ring piercings. Hmmm, maybe you should have gone for the belly-button option after all.
OTOH -- pierced ears with hoop earrings can be used to hold a mask in place using a bungee cord!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
First night with the P10:

I decided to go back to APAP with a range of 12-20 with APR at 3 just to see what happened. The AHI was 2.49... not too shabby! But I do feel pretty tired this morning and my eyes keep crossing which was pretty common before CPAP. As a result, despite the good AHI, I would say I've felt better after a night of sleep with CPAP. I will definitely keep trying the P10 for a while though to see how it goes. It is very comfortable! I went with the large pillows which seemed to fit well, and other than my nostrils being a bit sore this morning, it went pretty well. I may give the mediums a shot to compare. The smalls felt too restrictive and seem like they'd be more likely to whistle.

I do show some large leaks, most of which seem to be mouth leak, but my wife did wake me up at one point because the nose pillows fell completely out and the machine turned off. A few hours later she woke me again to say that the machine had turned off again although the pillows were still in place. Initially I thought so too but when I pulled the pillows out of my nose it was obviously blowing pretty good and checking the machine confirmed that it was on. It had just been very quiet.

As with the nasal mask, the pressures bumped up to 20 several times so I guess I will raise my lower limit again as well. I had hoped a different mask style may allow for slightly lower pressures which would presumably help with occasional large leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you set the mask type for pillows in the menu?
There is a setting in the 9 series -- so there must be one in the 10 series.
You might consider setting auto start to off.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 10:47 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(03-07-2015, 08:22 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I have tried sealing my mouth with just my lips and I can not get it to work no matter how hard I try to press my lips together. So for me and I think for most it is tongue seal or nothing. In fact, I have to keep some semblance of tongue seal working with my FFM in order to keep down the dry mouth problem.

Best Regards,

That's the problem with those big old ring piercings. Hmmm, maybe you should have gone for the belly-button option after all.

R_G, thanks for the clarification. I was beginning to wonder why there was air leaking out of my navel.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2015, 11:29 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(03-07-2015, 10:47 PM)retired_guy Wrote:

Best Regards,

R_G, thanks for the clarification. I was beginning to wonder why there was air leaking out of my navel.

I am puzzled by all of the despair and effort in trying to keep air from escaping from the mouth. Keeping lips closed and using the tongue doesn't seem to be working. Nothing is working.

When other masks don't work for you why the resistance to using a full face mask? Air has no where to go unless it escapes under the pillow against your face, you will know that and can tighten the straps.

I have used one from the beginning and couldn't go to sleep with out it. The mask to me is like Linus's blanket is to him. Each morning when I get dressed I squirt some baby shampoo in the basin, rinse the mask, dry it and it's ready for when I go to bed.

Never had a problem and my mask fit rating is 100%.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2015, 12:43 PM)gondolabob Wrote: I am puzzled by all of the despair and effort in trying to keep air from escaping from the mouth. Keeping lips closed and using the tongue doesn't seem to be working. Nothing is working.

When other masks don't work for you why the resistance to using a full face mask? Air has no where to go unless it escapes under the pillow against your face, you will know that and can tighten the straps.

I have used one from the beginning and couldn't go to sleep with out it. The mask to me is like Linus's blanket is to him. Each morning when I get dressed I squirt some baby shampoo in the basin, rinse the mask, dry it and it's ready for when I go to bed.

Never had a problem and my mask fit rating is 100%.

No despair on my part. I use a full face mask (Mirage Quattro).

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2015, 02:25 PM)PaytonA Wrote: No despair on my part. I use a full face mask (Mirage Quattro).

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Me too! Just looked at last night's data -- wow, I was really snoring in the early morning hours. That pinned my pressure up against IPAPmax.

Let's take a poll.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,729 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 457 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central sleep apnea? need help on pressures flappypalate 2 485 11-23-2023, 05:37 PM
Last Post: flappypalate
  Need help falling asleep with changing BiPap pressures ISeekRem 7 629 08-13-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Ffm requires higher pressures yankees123 2 558 05-15-2023, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.