Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure Question
Pressure Question
I have been doing some reading and have not found an answer to my question.
I see most of you that are on an auto machine set a range. Let's say 9-13. I can see and have experienced the reasoning behind having a bottom number. Until the machine adjusts up to the area of your top number it makes breathing hard and is not fun. Why limit the top number? In other words, why not have a range of 9-20? If your number is 12 and you set the top to 13 in theory the machine will always be in the range you need, but why not have the top at 20? The way I understand it, the machine will not go higher and run 19 if all you need is 12. What is the advantage to limiting the range? What happens if my number is 12 and the range is 9-13 but a position or some other reason causes me to need 16 briefly and the machine doesn't go there because of the limit?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure Question
This may not be the best reason but it is one reason that caused me to tighten my limits.
I have experienced leaks that temporarily disrupt the machine's best operation and cause it to increase pressure above what I am used to, or need, which wakes me up. Where as if I decrease the upper limit to just a little above where it wants to operate, these short leaks just occur without incident.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I try to keep a tight range because my APAP responds to Flow Limations, RERAs and snores by raising the pressure. Sometimes it raises it way too much and according to sleepyhead, there are no apneas occuring when it decides to raise pressure. This increase in pressure, if too high disturbes my sleep, so I have to "tame the beast."

MobileBassit is correct. If you have a lot of leaks, and if too many, the machine sometimes raises pressure which can wake you up. One reason why you have to control leaks.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are several reasons one might want to limit upper number the most important being that some people begin to experience more Central Apneas due to higher pressures. Other reasons might be increased problems with aerophagia or stomach bloating from higher pressure forcing air into stomach; increased leaks around mask.

In my case the Resmed is overly sensitive to Flow Limitations for my particular circumstances and wants to keep increasing pressure due to Its sensing these FLs. It will want to go way up past my prescribed pressure and if I let it go to these higher pressures I begin to experience all the problems listed above, but most notably the increase in Central Apneas/Clear Airway Apneas.

The first versions of Auto machines could actually experience a form of run away pressure increases so it was more important in the earliest versions to set an upper limit, but the newer generations of Auto machines don't suffer from those issues at this point.

If you are an individual that does not have an issue leaving the top wide open, then no problem, go ahead and leave the top at 20 cm, but for some folks it does create problems. It's funny that both my Resmed machines (S9 and Airsense Autos) want to keep increasing pressure, but my other Auto machines (F&P Auto Icon, Z1 Auto, and Transcend Auto) don't react the same way, they all top out either right at my prescribed pressure or just slightly above, so my conclusion is this happens due to the fact that each manufacturer uses their own proprietary Auto Algorithm - and from studying Sleepyhead graphs it looks like the Resmed Algorithm is much more sensitive to Flow Limitations in terms of increasing pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
the first time I adjusted my top limit down from 20 is the morning after the bad night where it climbed to 15. Boom, I will not subject myself to that anymore. Luckily, my pressures don't slam against my current top, but if they did, I would have to choose between lowest AHI and best fit comfort and sleep quality. I think of this as obtaining the lowest practical AHI.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,281 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 877 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 600 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  [Pressure] BiPap air pressure question AmbitiousCut0 30 2,060 03-26-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.