Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Question on pressure
Question on pressure
I have not been able to get a lot of my questions answered because I have to see the pulmonologist first and I cannot get an appointment until April. My question is WHY would the pressure register as 17 when I had an AHI at something like 1.3? (My machine is an auto one set between 12-18. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question on pressure
Two reasons. One is that is what your body requires higher pressure to keep your airway open. Two is you have large leaks and the machine is driving up pressure because of it. If you download the SleepyHead you can post a chart from it here and get better answers. The link is below.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Earlsgirl - Welcome
Your CPAP is adjusting the pressure to try and overcome your apneas.  In your case the pressure was 17cm H2O.  An AHI of 1.3 is an average per hour of your total apneas and hypopneas divided by your length of sleep for that time period.  

An example would be:
You have 8 apneas or hypopneas during a sleep cycle and you slept for 8 hours, then your AHI will be 1.0.

I hope this helps.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Earlsgirl,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you... The mask says it fits 100 percent. I just wondered why if the AHI average was so low that it had to jump up to 17. And is that "17" the average for the 7 hours I was on the machine or just ONE time as it jumped after an event. The highest pressure # I've had in the past was 13, and that was back when I was having a fairly high AHI in the beginning. I've been on the CPAP a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is very unlikely it was at 17 all night, just for a short period to clear the event.
Without data it is impossible to tell how often it is going to high pressures, it might be a one off due to sleeping position, but data will tell.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The 17cm is probably the highest pressure that you reached.   Depending on the brand of CPAP that you are using, you may be able to use #SleepyHead for a more detailed view of your sleep sessions.

BTW: if you had a 7 hour sleep session and your AHI was 1.3 then you had a total of approximately 9 apneas (1.3 X 7 hours).

Please review the links in my signature below for more information.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, everyone. I also wake up exhausted in the morning--as if I have been wrestling with this all night. Headachy, DRY mouth (despite the humidifier), rashes. My fingernails are still bluish-purple. BUT the arrhythmias have decreased, and that is huge. I hate this thing as much on the 31st day as the first, but I'm hanging in there... I'm to see the pulmonologist in mid-April and hope he has some help to offer...
Post Reply Post Reply
Questions are better answered with data.  SleepyHead offers the best data. 

If you download Sleepyhead and post your daily charts and likely help get you in better shape for your appointment.

We can and will help you, but data is needed first.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a computer illiterate. I haven't a clue what Sleepyhead is or how to download it or how to get data from my machine. I only have my flip-phone and no texting capabilities. It just is what it is. Thank you. Oh, and my neck is "killing me" with the pull of the mask. But, again, it is what it is.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,415 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,045 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 931 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 990 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 647 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 672 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  [Pressure] BiPap air pressure question AmbitiousCut0 30 2,172 03-26-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.