Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Reaching maximum IPAP - Time to change settings?
Reaching maximum IPAP - Time to change settings?
Hi there!

First time posting, long time reader of the forum. You guys are great!

I was just Rx'd a new biPAP Resmed and for the most part, the adjustments which look very loose to me, have been taking care of my mild apnea. 

I have 2 questions:

1) Why the AHI in OSCAR is different from the AHI presented by the machine?

2) Because last night I had some hypopneas events, is this a sign that my pressures need to go up? My min EPAP is 5.0, max IPAP is 14.0 with PS = 4.0. Please let me know if you can see the screenshot from OSCAR for my last night sleep. Any extra recommendations? I am still damn sleepy during the days..... Sad

Thanks for all your help!
F.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reaching maximum IPAP - Time to change settings?
Welcome to Apnea Board.

I myself don't have the answer on differences in report numbers, I would trust OSCAR though. If you use too many data sources, it's just confusing the matter, and it's harder to decipher which to rely on.

You can edit settings if you choose to. In your present status, the reason to do so is to address results not so much numbers. If you felt the need to edit settings, maybe focus on moving the min pressure of 5 up a bit. ResMeds allow pressures for example of 5.0, 5.2, and so on up to 6.0, 7.0 etc. If you want to go up from 5.0, maybe try 5.4 and see what it changes.

You mention still being tired. Answer even if it's just to yourself, how long have you been on PAP therapy? how long did you have untreated apnea and fatigue? how long has therapy been helping? Suppose you have been on therapy for a week, but apnea was untreated or apnea symptoms were suspected for 3 years. Apnea damage and fatigue do not reverse overnight, nor in a week or a month. You have to continue to use PAP therapy, sometimes for months before you really notice. I think that if therapy is helping, you will start noticing some positive result within a month.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks @SarcasticDave94.

Also for the encouraging words. I have been suffering from extreme fatigue and daytime sleepiness for about 5 years. Then 3 years ago I decided to invest on a Resmed Airsense 10 Auto and things didn't improve at all though my low compliance of about 66% must not have helped. 

I would not use it consistently as I should have because 1) I thought I would see results right away and then concluded it to be useless and 2), it was hard to handle the high pressure blowing all the time. That's when I did some research and my NP recommended a biPAP to alleviate this and improve compliance.

So now I have been using this biPAP for about 3 weeks. Much better tolerated. I just need to focus on your advice and have a little patience to see if things improve over time. I didn't know that "catch up lost sleep" was really a thing...

As far as adjusting the pressures go, do I need to adjust IPAP as well? To me, it looks like last night the machine "wanted" to pass over the limit and kind of flatten out but I could be wrong.

Thanks again for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would raise both the min and max by 2 keeping the ps where it is. You were maxing out at 14 and 5 is to low for a normal adult.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw a small section of pressure being flat topped due to the 14 that is set. If it's something you would feel better because of the adjustment, go ahead and change 14 to 15. I've found when I use the machine consistently, it takes less time to recover and begin feeling better for the therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2020, 01:32 PM)Frajola81 Wrote: 1) Why the AHI in OSCAR is different from the AHI presented by the machine?

There may be usually slight differences between the AHI reported by a ResMed CPAP machine and by OSCAR especially if there is more than one session in the night. The machine reading can be higher or lower than what OSCAR reports. This is caused by a difference in the way the machine and OSCAR compute AHI.

The machine rounds the length of each session to the nearest minute, then adds those together to get the total minutes for the night.  OSCAR doesn't round the session lengths and thus computes the total time for the night in seconds (or maybe milliseconds -- I don't remember which without looking). AHI is calculated as # events/total time, so OSCAR and the machine are using a slightly different denominator for total time.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great information here. Thanks Stace and Dave. I will raise the pressure settings slightly and wait some time to judge the results. And have a little more patience Smile

@GuyScharf, it does make sense now. I was curious but not really paying much attention to the machine reports. From now on, I will only use OSCAR to assess my treatment parameters. Thanks for your explanation!

Thank you all for the replies!
Post Reply Post Reply
OH, one thing I forgot to ask is if the doctor/NP can do something against my treatment through my insurance if I adjust the machine settings myself?

In my last appointment with her, before I had upgraded to the biPAP, she mentioned that "she didn't want me messing with the machine pressures". Why is that? I feel like I am more informed than she is after spending hours reading this forum....    Big Grin

Since I will see her in about 10 days, I decided to hold off on the adjustments. My last night analysed with attached OSCAR screen occurred:

1) Pressure reaching maximum at several times
2) hypopnea events
3) And even one CA event showed up. Is this bad?

Please let me know your thoughts.....

--
F.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
No they can’t. It is your therapy and you can make ANY change you want. The only thing insurance will look at is hours used and if your AHI is under 5. 

Your top number is to low. I suggest you raise it by 3. You have it set to VAUTO and the machine will only go as high as needed so your change of high pressure may never reach the max number.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
What causes a ResMed CPAP machine to increase pressure?

1. Flow limitations
  2. Snores
  3. Apneas
You have a lot of flow limitations and snores. Be sure to bring those to the attention of your doctor (in case he just sees the AHI and says "everything is fine").

Do you sleep on your back? That can be a source of both. Also sleeping with your head forward (your chin tucked in) will increase both.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 200 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 608 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 243 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 169 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 801 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.