Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Reaching maximum IPAP - Time to change settings?
RE: Reaching maximum IPAP - Time to change settings?
That is good to know Stacey! Thanks for the reply. I will adjust the pressure and see if things improve.

@GuyScharf, I sometimes sleep on my back but for the most part (I want to believe....), I sleep on my side. However, following doctors orders, I piled up 2 pillows to elevate my head during my sleep. According to her, this would help with the bad sensation of swallowing air during therapy.

So as of now, I need to increase my EPAP and max IPAP, get rid of that second pillow, and what about PS (Pressure support), should it still stay at 4? Does it play a role like EPR in a APAP machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is, the problem with pillows, and I will say I totally disagree with this doctor's order. The pillows cause chin-tucking and it is evident in the clusters of flow limitation which are increasing your pressure. I think without this, your pressure would be very steady and therapy much improved. Please read our wikis:
Positional apnea: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft cervical collar: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe try a thinner or a single pillow than what you've been using. I'd disagree with doc here as well. And the collar suggested will help out. There's a good collar called Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar that several members have tried that does well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great advice here, thank you both!

I will do some research on them and will definitely get rid of the pile of pillows that I have been using.

About the collars, should I buy it myself online? Do I need an Rx for it? Could I ask my DME to provide me with the one my choose and charge the insurance?
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Sleeprider and SarcasticDate94. I would focus on the positional apnea/chin tucking problem first.

Is there a reason the doctor suggested the pillows for swallowing air? Did you have that problem before?
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, that makes sense. The pressures may not go too high fixing these problems first.

I am new with this biLevel machine (about 1 month). Before that, I was using an Airsense 10 and my compliance was terrible due to swallowing a lot of air during therapy and wasn't handling well the therapy in general (and of course, tired all the time). 

When the NP asked me about the bad compliance and I gave her this response, that's the advice she gave me. 

Afterwards she Rx'd the biLevel machine. According to her, I would tolerate the therapy better with this machine which was true. My compliance now is 100%!
Post Reply Post Reply
Pillows under the head are a very bad idea and leads to chin tucking. Individuals with aerophagia usually get relief from a wedge pillow which elevates the whole body from the hips, but does not tuck the chin. We have seen some people prop up the whole bed by stacking blocks under the head of the bed frame, and of course articulating beds make all of this very easy. There are some other tricks as well. Needless to say, if your pillows cause flow limitation, that leads to an increase in pressure, and the result is aerophagia, so you're clearly at cross-purposes. If we resolve the positional apnea, we may even be able to reduce pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will definitely address that first especially because with the biLevel PAP, I haven't suffered from aerophagia. 

It doesn't look like it will come back. Need to study/decide on the collar though. Or maybe, one step at a time: first the pillows then the collars if it doesn't improve the clusters of flow limitation.

Thanks for your advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
About follow-up appointments...    S. Dave gave me some good advice on talking with my sleep dr.     
My    thread?   was titled   "advice appreciated".     That specific advice was #32 in that thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!     I wrote that short note last night.    
I just want to tell you that I admire you and all the other people who get started learning these things!      I am new to forum, too,   it is very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 4 60 9 minutes ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 851 7 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 217 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 114 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 265 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 353 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 319 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.