Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Reaching maximum IPAP - Time to change settings?
RE: Reaching maximum IPAP - Time to change settings?
(12-16-2020, 05:37 PM)Frajola81 Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 04:48 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you want to get after the flow limits and snores, you are going to have to elevate both EPAP min and IPAP max. I also think you might tolerate additional pressure support.  I don't usually do multiple changes, but I'll make an exception IF you think your comfort is not what it could be.  If you're game, here it is:
Mode: Vauto
EPAP min: 7.0
IPAP max: 16.0
PS: 4.4

I am game Smile

If I am understanding this correctly, this is an effective increase of 2.4cmH20, right?    I will give it a try. 

This increase in EPAP may also decrease the number of "Hypopnea" events that sometimes are flagged, correct?

If I'm doing things right, it should result in more comfort and less flow limitation, snores and hypopnea. I guess there is only one way to know. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
First night with new adjustments and I got more of the same. I wonder if it is because of this that I am still sleepy until 1:30PM.

As you can see, the period between 4AM and 6AM was particularly bad.  Note that I didn't use the collar this past night... 

I assumed that the increase in pressure would take care of the snores but maybe it was a mistake....   the IPAP is topping off again. Other than that, the therapy was pretty comfortable (some mask leaks but probably because I removed the collar and didn't adjust the straps.)

Are there other solutions to control the snores and flow limitations? Lose weight?  I am 6ft3, 245Lbs. Don't look particularly overweight but there is an accumulation of fat in the belly and face/neck.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree the data looks the same. How was comfort with the higher pressure and pressure support? Which collar are you using. Sometimes, it just takes some experimenting with other styles or sizes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my opinion but if you're concerned with the nearly flat-topped high pressure at 5:30-6:30, I say this indicates 16 isn't as high as your therapy pressure demands are at that point. Note as well this is within the snore and flow limit increased activity, so that will factor in by demanding higher pressure required. What I'm trying to say is most likely snore and FL are driving pressures to your top setting of 16. Reduce the FL and snore and it may not peg at 16. Something needs to be done to reduce these as what's been tried so far isn't impacting these enough.

Again my observation only. Sleeprider is far more knowledgeable at helping solve this, and I'm not attempting to counter his info. I would normally think the right response to FL and snore is to increase your Min. pressure. But it seems not to have helped on this one night presented. Is that enough time to evaluate and conclude that pressure edits recently done did not work? No offense, but this is what I call a 1 night pattern, unless in fact it has been ongoing longer than presented. As presented, it seems to only be a one night snapshot. Correct me please if I have this wrong.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2020, 02:21 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I agree the data looks the same. How was comfort with the higher pressure and pressure support?  Which collar are you using. Sometimes, it just takes some experimenting with other styles or sizes.

I didn't feel anything different with regards to comfort. Felt great actually.

The collar that I have been using is called "Vive Neck Brace" which I order online from a major vendor. It is not comfortable to sleep with it but I might need though the snores and FLs looked bad wearing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2020, 02:35 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Just my opinion but if you're concerned with the nearly flat-topped high pressure at 5:30-6:30, I say this indicates 16 isn't as high as your therapy pressure demands are at that point. 
As far as I am understanding here, even though my AHI is acceptable, my pressure demand may be even higher due to the snores and FLs? Interesting....   
In the titration study, a pressure of 8cm of water controlled AHI, RDI, and oxygen saturation readings, however REM sleep was not observed until 14cm of water (and brought the apnea/hypopnea index to 0). There was no mention of snores or FLs.
And you may be right that the plot I showed is just for one night but before that, all my nights have had an AHI < 1, sometimes <0.5 but snores and FL have been very consistent (Even though I was using the collar). 
You guys think that I should stick with these settings for a couple of days to see if a pattern emerges?
Post Reply Post Reply
I for one am not in a hurry to see setting changes. It's not like AHI is very high, it's excellent. Comfort is the main consideration and should drive your decision, not just the data on pressure or flow limits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
@Sleeprider: But couldn't the FLs and snores being the cause of daytime sleepiness?
Post Reply Post Reply
Me, yes those events can be disruptive to sleep causing daytime sleepiness. There's other potential causes, but for you these are probably the source.

Have to looked into a Corflex collar? I'd not look at it. They are made to order if I recall right.

Sorry on typo, was on phone...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Frajola, if you want to see where the pressure takes you, just take the maximum IPAP to 20. It will be interesting to see if it resolves the issue. The auto pressure algorithm will seek to go as high as necessary to resolve flow limits. I think they are likely positional, but if they resolve with pressure that's fine. Your FL and snores are near zero, and increase in "clusters", so I still think it is something the collar is missing, but I have my maximum pressure at 18 cm. I don't often get there, but when I do, it is never noticeable. I have no problem with trying fairly radical changes, because we can always come back and reset. You can always learn something from making a change, we just have to see what it is telling us.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 207 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,706 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 616 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 806 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.