Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Reduced pressure to relieve lip leak
Reduced pressure to relieve lip leak
I have been on CPAP for about 2 months now. After I started I noticed a definite increase in my daytime energy level so I think it's helping. I have adjusted really well to the nasal mask and actually look forward to going to bed now.

One of the problems I had was a really bad lip leak and dry mouth as a result. I really didn't want to resort to a FFM or chin strap so a few days ago I experimented by reducing my max pressure down to match my minimum pressure of about 6. I also wanted to see if my AHI would just as I assumed. Now, I no longer have the lip leak or dry mouth so I'm really happy with that.

I'm curious about a couple of things...as I have reduced my max pressure so it's constant, my S9 is now acting as a "CPAP" and not "APAP", right?

Also, why didn't my AHI jump when I reduced the pressure? Does anyone else get by with such a low constant pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reduced pressure to relieve lip leak
The answers to your questions are yes and yes. From what you have said, it sounds as if your system is acting as a constant pressure CPAP. If you are operating with your max and min pressure settings having the same value then your autoset is effectively a constant pressure CPAP. Yes, others seem to have gotten effective therapy with low pressures like yours.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It somehow makes sense...it takes less constant pressure to hold an airway open and more to open a partially closed airway via dynamic pressure increasing from too low of a starting point. That only makes sense if your constant pressure (cpap mode) is somewhat higher than the minimum you were using when running in auto mode. Since that will depend on the mechanics of your particular restrictions, it may not work for you in the long term so enjoy the moment.

Best regards, Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2015, 05:46 PM)dozydave Wrote: Also, why didn't my AHI jump when I reduced the pressure? Does anyone else get by with such a low constant pressure?

Hi dozydave, welcome to the forum!

When we have an overnight titration to find what pressure we need for effective treatment, we are usually asked to sleep flat on our back for at least part of the night, because flat on our back is usually the worst case position for obstructive sleep apnea, needing the highest pressure to prevent apneas, and the therapist wants to find a pressure high enough to handle all sleep positions.

However, some people have learned to never sleep on their back, so their titrated pressure might end up being higher than needed if they are always sleeping only on their side, for example.

Take care,
-- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
People can get hooked on "ventilators" that breathe for you full time. It's especially a problem in infants, but can happen in adults in some cases. You don't get put on a "ventilator" unless you are in really bad shape without one.

Consensus is that that CPAP doesn't do the same thing. The CPAP doesn't breathe for you, it just opens your airway. Also, you don't wear the CPAP all day long, so your brain and body have to keep breathing on their own for 16 hours a day.

However, you do get used to sleeping while being strangled while you have untreated apnea. You usually developed it slowly over many years. You sleep badly and suffer all kinds of health problems, but you do sleep. If you do CPAP for a while, your brain decides that being able to breathe in your sleep is a good thing and is less willing to let you sleep despite being strangled for a while. If you do CPAP for a long time and then quit suddenly, you will sleep very poorly until your brain readjusts to sleeping despite being strangled. I presume that in the end, you'll be no more uncomfortable or unhealthy than if you didn't do CPAP at all.

Also, for most of us, our apnea gets worse as we age. If you do CPAP for 5 years and then quit, your age related apnea will be 5 years older than it was when you started. Your apnea will probably be worse than it was when you first started.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,412 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 155 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 138 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 676 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.