Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure Relief Features (JCSM article)
RE: Pressure Relief Features (JCSM article)
(09-05-2022, 02:24 PM)StratCat48 Wrote: My DS2 only has 'Flex' 1,2,3 settings. Has the P-Flex and A-Flex been an addition to the DS2 with a recent firmware/software update? My current version is V1.0.3.3690.

I have 1.0.6.4326

In the user menu, you can only select flex level (if the flex system is enabled).
In the provider menu, you can select flex type (off, flex, p-flex).
Thats all in auto mode, Im not sure what appears in cpap mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon;
I believe the article's point was that for Obstructive Apneas which occur at the end of expiration, then EPR=3 is incorrect for that type of patient. Otherwise, it's a positive.

The takeaway from this forum should be EPR=3 is indicated mainly for Hypopneas and Flow limitations. So people should not be confused on that point!

TheResMed AirSense 11 algorithm presents us with a  "Black Box"containing an obsolete software program that needs improvements that are scientifically and commercially available.  Whether ResMed will ever invest in a non-inferiority study to “cheaply” do this is a hope to keep..... They did this with Autoset for Her, so I am keeping the faith. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyHenry, both Gideon and I are aware of the importance of positive end expiratory pressure for both obstructive AHI and proper oxygenation in some patients. When we coach users to use EPR, we mitigate the lower EPAP by titrating for a high minimum pressure as indicated necessary by the data. EPR or Flex is not the cause of the apnea, it is the failure to choompensate for its use with the other available settings. It's interesting that individual response to expiratory pressure relief varies widely with some needing the higher pressure, while others seem to do fine with the lower EPAP. Another observation we have made is that most individuals with a prescribed pressure can better optimize their therapy through changes in settings, including the use of EPR. It's remarkable that the sleep profession thinks 1 to 2-hours of low event rates at a particular pressure represents a good titration, when little regard is given to lower level events like flow limitation, RERA and patient comfort. It would be an interesting poll to ask how many members of this forum actually retain the prescribed settings they received.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree: If the poll response is not higher than 50% it is not the fault of the forum. It's  us Apnea sufferers relying on inertia and procrastination.
PSG is everyone's"Gold Standard" but it is not a research instrument. Its too expensive and labor-intensive. So why are we not using the APAP results more??? Sleep Docs don't have the time to follow patients adequately, and that was even before Covid-19. Don't expect help here.
I was a Respironic costumer until the recall. I studied Flex and arrived at the decision it was at best a comfort gimmick and should not be in the same paragraph as EPR that really works.
As you guys know, the between-individuals pressure response varies significantly between patients...even of the same age, sex and BMI..Not so much for the intra- individual pressure difference. (The PALM Scale phenotype explanation for Upper Airway collapsability). IMHO emphasizing subject differences as you have been doing is great for us apnea sufferers. (Avoiding jargon is always a challenge).
These are my thoughts on your post above. Hope they do not confuse the issue?

So, in summary:Red, Gideon,SleepRider, Opal Rose, Sarcastic Dave and all you guys continue the very helpful advice you provide. As an Apnea sufferer, please accept my thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Muggzy's Therapy Thread - My quest for relief Muggzy 6 598 01-07-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,629 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] relief from high pressure sistrunk 3 381 08-20-2023, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Millstone50
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  Desperately seeking relief - Pressure help robporky88 13 1,023 03-12-2023, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.