Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure Relief (& other) settings for FFM vs Nasal Mask?
Pressure Relief (& other) settings for FFM vs Nasal Mask?
I'm a DreamWear nasal mask user. But I've been dabbling in the FFM realm with an Amara View so I can mouth breathe a bit.

I've noticed I need a higher humidity level with the Amara View... and one night the humidifier even ran out of water. (The DreamWear hardly uses any water.)

I notice my AHI is higher with the Amara View, and the 95% pressure is higher too. So I have adjusted the pressure range to be higher when I use this mask (7-14 rather than 5-8 or even 6-12 for the DreamWear).

And I also feel that the exhale pressure relief (I really have no clue how that works or how to adjust it) is too much decrease in pressure when I'm wearing the Amara View. It anticipates my exhale as soon as my inhale has stopped. And it feels as if there is no pressure... so I feel like I'm just filling the mask with my exhale. 

Also with regard to that pressure relief... the mask cushion significantly bellows (fills with air) when I'm not exhaling, but when I am not inhaling it deflates. So I have a constant sensation of it filling and deflating... in which case it leaks when it inflates. I did not notice this at the beginning, when I was only using a pressure of 6... but then again, that was giving me a much bigger AHI.

I can sinch the mask tighter, which prevents that leaking when it inflates, but by being so tight the harder plastic frame pushes on my face and hurts. 

Please advise. I do like my DreamWear, and feel like I have that thoroughly figured out. But I'd like to figure out the Amara View, so I can use it successfully on nights when I really do need to mouth breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure Relief (& other) settings for FFM vs Nasal Mask?
Hydrangea,

You can adjust the pressure relief in the My Setup menu in the Patient's menu. You can choose 1 to 3, with 1 being the least amount of pressure relief. If you go to the Comfort menu in the Clinician's menu you can change not ony the amount of relief, but the type of relief as well.

I tried the Amara View with no success. It just doesn't fit me right. I ended up with higher leak rates and higher AHI when using the mask. I tried the medium and the large cushion. I have a problem with my jaw dropping back and breaking the seal on FFMs when I am sleeping, even with a chin strap. That is the reason I am willing to go to so much trouble to use the P10 pillow mask.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2017, 05:48 PM)pupcamper Wrote: I tried the Amara View with no success. It just doesn't fit me right.

I have a problem with my jaw dropping back and breaking the seal on FFMs when I am sleeping, even with a chin strap. That is the reason I am willing to go to so much trouble to use the P10 pillow mask.

Ah!  That makes sense to me!  The Amara View pushes my lower jaw back, too. So perhaps it's the combo (or even just the jaw pushing) that causes this leaking to happen to me. Hmmmmm. That makes me really think. 

Have you had this with other FFMs as well?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I've had it with every FFM. That is why I work so hard at making pillows work. The reason I know what was happenig, my wife saw it happen one time and started paying attention. The Amara View seems to be worse, though, which disappointed me because I really wanted it to work.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 80 3,263 6 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 453 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 252 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 984 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,164 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,728 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 427 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.