Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Runaway Pressure
Runaway Pressure
Hi all, I have been a CPAP user for a long while now. I am using the Resmed S9 Elite. My air pressure is set to 10. The air blows at full force and I feel it sort of pulsating as though I can't breath against it. I have taken my machine to my service provider twice now and he claims he can't find anything wrong with it. He set the pressure a little lower at 8 and changed the EPR, but it is still the same. I set the pressure at 4, still takes my breath away. All this started happening after having issues with rainout then, my SD card started popping out and I was getting the message that I needed to see my service provider. Any idea what could be causing this. It has been unplugged since Christmas, I really need to get this solved. My provider is no help.
The machine is almost 4 years old and I have another year left before insurance helps with another one.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Runaway Pressure
Some folks confuse Pressure with Flow. The machine is intended to maintain constant pressure while adjusting flow to maintain that constant pressure.
There have been several ways suggested to gauge the pressure from the blower unit.
One way is to fill the kitchen sink with water; then place the end of cpap hose greater than 10 cm (about 4 inches) into the water; start the blower unit.
No bubbles should appear when the end of the hose is at a depth greater that the set pressure (in centimeters.) Large bubbles should appear as you slowly withdraw the tube such that the depth is less that the set pressure in centimeters. If the machine blows bubbles when the hose end is at a greater depth than the set pressure, the machine is not supplying correct pressure; and likely is maxed out.

Given that a machine service code has already appeared, likely the machine has become faulty.
Perhaps water got into the blower unit and has ruined a sensor (flow or pressure.)

Repairing a 4 year old S9 is probably not cost effective; but, there are several repair facilities on the supplier list (top of page).
They are listed as #27 and #28. You could explore that avenue.

Since you are out of warranty, and insurance will not cover for another year, I suggest looking for an open box special at Supplier #2 on the list.

You will need to fax or email a scan of your prescription to them. Actually, you can get a gently used S9 Elite from them for $299.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure you double check with insurance regarding whether a new one will be covered and appeal if they say no. Many Insurance policies now say they cover new machines as "medically necessary"
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kermey,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with getting your machine problems straightened out.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2016, 12:57 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Make sure you double check with insurance regarding whether a new one will be covered and appeal if they say no. Many Insurance policies now say they cover new machines as "medically necessary"

Thanks I will. I was under a different plan when this one was purchased so I may be able to talk the insurance company into a new one since technically this would be the first one they are buying!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,647 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 648 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,558 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Runaway Pressures, CAs, Horrible Sleep wantingsoundsleep 10 1,190 08-31-2021, 07:32 AM
Last Post: wantingsoundsleep
Surprised Causes of sudden Dreamstation APAP runaway? NorthernGuy 11 1,491 01-27-2021, 05:06 PM
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,353 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.