Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] S9 CPAP
S9 CPAP
First let me thank you for making available the software and PDF files with information I couldn't find anywhere else.

Having used a Medicare issued CPAP for about 3 years, I finally shelled out $999 for the S9 with H5i to get the air required and not a steady stream at 10cmH2O as prescribed with the CPAP.

Here's what I don't get. When I bought the S9, the tech at the store set it Low 5 and High 14. As I look at the pressure line, it starts at about 5 then climbs within 30 minutes or so to about 14 and stays there until I wake up...often 4 to 5 times a night. Each time when I go back to sleep, the same pressure climb.

To see whether the pressure was "stuck" I increased it several times over a few nights up to 16 cmH2O. Each time the pressure would climb to the max set point and remain there unless I had a big leak from my MirageFX full face mask.

I though the pressure would vary with my demand?
Could the S9 sensors be defective. Electronics do fail as we all know.
Any similar experience?

Btw thanks to the software I now know I have obstructive, central sleep apnea and hypopnea often in one night. Sometimes just hypopneas.
Only the pressure stays at the max!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 APAP
what S9 do you have
next to power button, should say Elite, Escape, AutoSet

sound like the machine set at 14 constant pressure with ramp set at 5 for 30 mins
when ramp time expired, the pressure increase to set pressure and stay there all night or if machine switched off for any reason during the night

Edit: as you can see data, you should have either S9 AutoSet or S9 Elite

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2013, 08:22 PM)zonk Wrote: what S9 do you have

sound like the machine set at 14 constant pressure with ramp set at 5 for 30 mins
when ramp time expired, the pressure increase to set pressure and stay there all night or if machine switched off for any reason during the night

It's an Autoset
(02-14-2013, 08:45 PM)SleepyTime Wrote:
(02-14-2013, 08:22 PM)zonk Wrote: what S9 do you have

It's an Autoset

Actually ramp time is set at 5 minutes
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyTime,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang tight for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy and the new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyTime and
Welcome

(02-14-2013, 08:10 PM)SleepyTime Wrote: First let me thank you for making available the software and PDF files with information I couldn't find anywhere else.

Having used a Medicare issued CPAP for about 3 years, I finally shelled out $999 for the S9 with H5i to get the air required and not a steady stream at 10cmH2O as prescribed with the CPAP.

Here's what I don't get. When I bought the S9, the tech at the store set it Low 5 and High 14. As I look at the pressure line, it starts at about 5 then climbs within 30 minutes or so to about 14 and stays there until I wake up...often 4 to 5 times a night. Each time when I go back to sleep, the same pressure climb.

To see whether the pressure was "stuck" I increased it several times over a few nights up to 16 cmH2O. Each time the pressure would climb to the max set point and remain there unless I had a big leak from my MirageFX full face mask.

Any similar experience?

Btw thanks to the software I now know I have obstructive, central sleep apnea and hypopnea often in one night. Sometimes just hypopneas.

What is your AHI? Are events spread out fairly evenly? Does the pressure start raising as soon as you turn the machine on (discounting ramp, of course), or after you've fallen asleep? When was your last sleep study? Was it an in-lab study?

The reason I ask is because you say you've used CPAP for about three years. I'm assuming that means that your sleep lab titration was 3 years (or more) ago. A lot can change in 3 years and, unfortunately, OSA can get worse with age. Also; I believe, and this is just my opinion, that in-lab titrations often lead to less than optimal pressure, as the discomfort of the environment can lead to a lighter sleep and less relaxation.

If the AutoSet doesn't start raising pressure until you are asleep (not counting the ramp) and your AHI is high (above 5) and the apneas and/or hypopneas are spread out; then the AutoSet might be doing the best job it can within the limits it has been given. Your pressure needs may be greater than what has been estimated.

Have you considered setting the top end at 20cmH2O and seeing what happens? If the machine is not malfunctioning it will not go any higher than what is needed.

Before doing this though, I would shut the ramp off and wear the mask with the machine on while awake for a little while to make sure the pressure doesn't raise when you know it isn't getting any signs of apnea/hypopnea or snore. If it raises pressure while you are awake and not snoring, etc., then the machine is probably defective and should be replaced - it should still be under warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2013, 08:45 PM)SleepyTime Wrote: Actually ramp time is set at 5 minutes

There comes a time with some of us where the ramp is more of a hassle than a benefit.
Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2013, 10:01 PM)Ugly Wrote: There comes a time with some of us where the ramp is more of a hassle than a benefit.
Okay

Agree. I turned mine off because it was more of an annoyance than a help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2013, 09:52 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Hi SleepyTime and
Welcome

(02-14-2013, 08:10 PM)SleepyTime Wrote: First let me thank you for making available the software and PDF files with information I couldn't find anywhere else.

Any similar experience?

What is your AHI? Are events spread out fairly evenly? Does the pressure start raising as soon as you turn the machine on (discounting ramp, of course), or after you've fallen asleep? When was your last sleep study? Was it an in-lab study?

The reason I ask is because you say you've used CPAP for about three years. I'm assuming that means that your sleep lab titration was 3 years (or more) ago. A lot can change in 3 years and, unfortunately, OSA can get worse with age. Also; I believe, and this is just my opinion, that in-lab titrations often lead to less than optimal pressure, as the discomfort of the environment can lead to a lighter sleep and less relaxation.

If the AutoSet doesn't start raising pressure until you are asleep (not counting the ramp) and your AHI is high (above 5) and the apneas and/or hypopneas are spread out; then the AutoSet might be doing the best job it can within the limits it has been given. Your pressure needs may be greater than what has been estimated.

Have you considered setting the top end at 20cmH2O and seeing what happens? If the machine is not malfunctioning it will not go any higher than what is needed.

Before doing this though, I would shut the ramp off and wear the mask with the machine on while awake for a little while to make sure the pressure doesn't raise when you know it isn't getting any signs of apnea/hypopnea or snore. If it raises pressure while you are awake and not snoring, etc., then the machine is probably defective and should be replaced - it should still be under warranty.
Thanks, I'll report in more detail tomorrow. Tonight I'll turn the ramp time off. Then after my final wake-up, I'll stay awake in bed for 20 minutes and then see what the pressure line shows.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2013, 08:45 PM)SleepyTime Wrote: Actually ramp time is set at 5 minutes
5 mins ramp is not going to make much difference other than for me, would feel not getting enough air at such low start

S9 Autoset increase pressure in response to snoring and flow limitation
pressure increase can trigger problems to some people
such as aerophagia, discomfort during the night which can lead to feeling lousy during the day

its been suggested that if maximum pressure used for more than 10% of therapy time, may indicate that maximum should be increased providing leak is under control but if central events showed up than pressure should be decreased
its about compromise, pressure to control apnea without inducing centrals, comfortable enough to keep the mask all night every night

Post Reply Post Reply
I can look at my graphs and tell when I fell asleep. It will be a relatively flat line at 12 (my beginning pressure) then will jump up to 15 or 16. It will then slowly settle down and look like ocean waves for the rest of the night.

If your machine is going to the maximum you have set and then not moving the entire night, something is wrong with the machine. Or the pressure is too low. What is your AHI?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.