Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Optimizing Dreamstation, Autoset for Her after Post 50
RE: Should I adjust my DreamStation minimum pressure?
Just checking in with an update. I've been a couple weeks at the new setting and things are going really well. AHI has been low and pretty consistent. Numbers are better when I use the Large nasal pillow as opposed to the Medium, so I'm sticking with Large. I've been feeling good and haven't needed a nap since I adjusted the minimum pressure! Here are last night's numbers. 

[attachment=25523][attachment=25524]
Post Reply Post Reply
I do think you have dialed in a very effective and comfortable pressure range. Congratulations on the very good results and better sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everybody. I thought I'd post an update to see if you have any comments. I still don't totally understand what I'm looking at on OSCAR. I know my AHI is looking good now, but I do wonder why it fluctuates (sometimes it's over one and sometimes under). 

[attachment=26681][attachment=26682][attachment=26683]
Post Reply Post Reply
At 9.5 to 15 and Flex at 3, your AHI is good, but you are left with a lot of flow limitation and snoring which shows continuing airway resistance or obstruction. I'd like to see you take pressure to 10.0 and reduce Flex to 2. You can turn off the VS2 events at the bottom of the charts, as we are only concerned with VS, which is what changes pressure for now. Your median pressure is 11.5 and 95% pressure is about 12.0, so I would not be surprised if we end up close to that as a minimum pressure.

With this much flow limitation, the Resmed exhale pressure relief which acts like bilevel pressure support would be more helpful, but since there is not much we can do about that, keep it in mind for the next machine. If you zoom in on the respiratory flow rate to where you see the individual waves, I suspect they will have a lot of flat or downward sloping peaks that reflect flow limitation from upper airway resistance. While pressure can help to open the airway, it is pressure support (the difference between inhale and exhale pressure) that actually relieves the airway resistance by assisting with some of the inspiratory effort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure fluctuations are being driven by Flow Limitations and snores, which can be cleared up by raising the minimum pressure slowly.

You can move your minimum pressure up by .5cm at a time, and see if that helps with the pressure swings. Otherwise, your numbers look good.

What Flex setting are you using? A Flex setting of 2 often works better than 3.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, guys. I set minimum to 10 and Flex to 2. I'll keep you posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the data from last night with the new settings. 

[attachment=26702][attachment=26703]
Post Reply Post Reply
Woo boy! OK, I had a REMstar Pro System One C-Flex Plus machine up until October of 2018. At that time I had moved to a new state and got a new doctor who did another sleep study. They ended up giving me the Dreamstation. I just pulled out the REMstar and thought, "Hmm, I'll put the card in OSCAR and see what my data looked like with the old fixed-pressure machine..." I'm pretty shocked. On many days like this back in 2018, my AHI is 0. I am usually over 1 now on the Dreamstation. What does it all mean? What does the data show?
[attachment=26915] [attachment=26916]
Post Reply Post Reply
Well you have it dialed in perfect today(Success) I would leave  your settings alone for a while. Anything below 1 on the AHI is excellent IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also had an older cpap that did better than my dreamstation Bipap.  It was not terrible but I never got it down to what I had on the cpap.  After 5 years on it (doing - worse each year) I came to this site and asked for help.  They did help me and the numbers went down but still not doing well.  I was in the mid 20s in total events each night.  Sleeprider and Fred both said I would do better on a ResMed, so I bought it my self without insurance.  and my numbers have been 3 events or less ever since.  There are a lot of people the dreamstation just does not work as well as the ResMed..
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First post - First week of CPAP R1c4ard06 3 98 04-16-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: R1c4ard06
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 351 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 7 319 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: FlyAU98
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 195 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 629,573 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 206 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,199 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.