Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Sudden elevated AHI. HELP!!!!
RE: Sudden elevated AHI. HELP!!!!
Okay then i will continue at 9-16 and will update you with the result after i get the collar. If i really see some nice improvement, I am definitely going to donate to Apnea Board. You guys have been a big help already. And a very very heartfelt thank you Sleeprider for your time and energy.
you have allayed my fears regarding the Clear Airway events.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are indeed in great hands with Sleeprider, whose advice has greatly improved my therapy...

Therefore...don't delay a night longer on that collar! I picked up the basic one at Walgreens and saw an immediate improvement. It doesn't make me feel hot, itchy or otherwise.

I did have to switch to a flatter pillow to better accommodate the collar. And yes, it felt a bit silly at first to put on a collar AND a mask, but...what a difference. Again, some good tips here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...oft-collar
Post Reply Post Reply
I have still not ordered the collar though i intend to. However, Sleeprider mentioned the pillow in his post and chin tucking which got me thinking. So i switched to a thinner pillow yesterday night and had a very good AHI of 3.5. I don't know if its by chance or the pillow but i will keep monitoring a few more days. Thinner pillow is bound to reduce chin tucking i guess. Yesterday was the best sleep I had in months. I just wish i can have such sleep daily.

Will also order collar after researchng the good ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
Arc, you may be able to pull a corner of your thinner pillow between your shoulder and jaw. This is the same exact feel you should get with the collar. The main difference is, the collar moves with you, while the pillow will eventually shift out of place. Give it a try, I think you'll be surprised.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have OSA.  Pressure is the treatment.
Your pressure is inadequate.
Your leaking is very high which often cause disruptions.  
Ignore CA and address the OSA.

So you must solve leaking problem and increase pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Sleeprider suggested me a pressure of 9-16 with reduced flex. He also suggested about positional apnea and chin tucking.

So i turned the pressure range to 9-16, reduced C-flex to 1 and also changed to a thinner pillow 2 nights ago. See the results now.

The leakage has reduced, AHI has dropped and sleep quality is better. Though I am having obstructive apneas still, but i still hvnt tried the main remedy suggested by sleeprider i.e. Cervical Collar.

If i get an AHI in the range of 1-2 after cervical collar, that would drive me crazy and basically be the best thing that will happen to me in a long time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you're getting close. I'd rather see you work with comfortable pressures and resolve the real problem (positional apnea), than just use maximum pressure and deal with uncomfortable leaks and lack of efficacy. Sometimes I think Ted has never seen a pressure he did not want to increase, but that is the conventional approach.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
arc0509, let's try to help each other haha!

Here are my findings after analyzing MY sleepyhead charts for the past three 6 months or so:

- My AHI was 1.5 - 2.0 when my min pressure = 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 and AFlex 1 ON
- My AHI jumped to 3.0 - 5.0 since my min pressure = 6.0 and AFlex/CFlex OFF
- My AHI was 6.0 last night with min pressure = 7.0 and CFlex 1 ON

What I noticed then, is that:
- My AHI basically started increasing when I stopped using AFlex 1, i.e. I was not using neither AFlex nor CFlex
- When I enabled CFlex 1, my AHI was in the same range than AFlex off/CFlex off

Looking deeper at the charts:
- AFlex 1 provides EPAP which is in the most of the cases, 1.5 cmH20 < current pressure delivered by the APAP
- CFlex 1 only provides EPAP which is exactly 0.3 cmH20 < current pressure delivered by the APAP

Quizz about the "Clear Airways":
- When AFlex OFF, or CFlex OFF, or CFlex 1 ON, I am having a lot of "Clear Airways" events, that I never ever had in the past when using AFlex 1

Conclusion:
- Tonight, I am gonna put back AFlex 1, and still keep min pressure = 7.0.

I will keep you posted tomorrow about my results!

if my results are fine, what I would like to try though, is to check if:
- AFlex 1 EPAP = CFlex 2 EPAP ?
- AFlex 1 EPAP = Cflex 3 EPAP ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. I never thought from that angle. I was under the impression that flex 1 means exactly a change in pressure by 1.

I read your post very carefully. Maybe A flex can work.  Honestly l, I have not used A-flex much since sleeprider suggested me to use C-Flex but trying never hurts.

Tonight, i will use A-Flex 1 and update you on the results. I think Trial and error is the only way to get it right. But I have had so much erratic results that I had given up on the trial and error.

Meanwhile have a look at the following pdf file from phillips.

Attached Files
.pdf   1063524_PRSTS_Flex_SalesAid.pdf (Size: 95.24 KB / Downloads: 99)
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2018, 07:12 AM)arc0509 Wrote: Wow. I never thought from that angle. I was under the impression that flex 1 means exactly a change in pressure by 1.

I read your post very carefully. Maybe A flex can work.  Honestly l, I have not used A-flex much since sleeprider suggested me to use C-Flex but trying never hurts.

Tonight, i will use A-Flex 1 and update you on the results. I think Trial and error is the only way to get it right. But I have had so much erratic results that I had given up on the trial and error.

Can you share a screenshot of:
- your monthly statistics ?
- your lasat week statistics ?
- Your last night chart ?
- What is your current AFlex/Cflex settings? Do you recall when you played with them?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 331 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 214 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 367 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 288 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,220 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Sudden raised AHI Papageno 10 654 12-07-2023, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Papageno
  [CPAP] Need some help if possible - sudden change in response from 4hrs to 1.5hrs usage OverflowingJoyEntity 6 489 11-28-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: OverflowingJoyEntity

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.