Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] TheWallofSleep's Therapy Thread
RE: TheWallofSleep's Therapy Thread
sheepless,

Does any common TENS work or do scripted varieties work better? If you've had the chance to try both that is. I've a scripted TENS that I could give specs if I can find it. I do know that when I used this on my back, I used a diamond pattern for the sticky pads. Up/down were channel 1 +&-, left/right were channel 2 +&-, and on a certain program I could have it shock cross channel to cover a broad area. OK your eyes are glazing. Later...

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
dave, the short answer is idk.

I think tens is helping me but its only been 2 or 3 months & my usage time has slipped a lot lately. I have no idea if it'll help anyone else but they're inexpensive so worth a try, imo. mine was not prescribed. idk if there are better stronger more sophisticated units available by prescription but there are dozens of brands available without. I've only ever used one so no experience to compare. frankly, I'm not entirely confident it'll continue to provide relief from my rls/plm, but so far, if I don't go days between uses, it seems to be helping. I've a long way to go to know how often to use it, best modes & settings or even where best to place the electrode pads. and I'll bet these are different for different people & conditions. I'll report what I learn along the way.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok copy, yeah I was issued one for severe chronic back pain, and as is typical, I researched it extensive. My neurologist PAC issued a scripted order for this TENS. 9 volt or plug in power. But then I'd progressed to SCS a year later. Both were paid by insurance fully. I was that bad I guess.

OK sorry Wallofsleep, sidetracking... Dunno maybe it's a do it yourself PLM shock treatment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
when I had poison ivy/oak/sumac all over my legs, I'd jump in the shower when I couldn't take the itch and use a handheld sprayer on it at the highest water temp I could stand. the pounding spray & the heat was a bit like scratching the itch but it seemed to amplify it too. the relief only came afterward. by comparison, I felt significantly less itch for a few hours afterward.

I think the tens/ems stimulation acts much the same. during use it 'hurts so good', triggering the same sensations as restless legs, but it doesn't seem to actually provide relief from the rls sensations until I stop using it.

I will eventually update my plm thread with this kind of observation but mention here because your interest, dave, & because WallofSleep is also experimenting with tens.

WallofSleep, I'm looking forward to reading about your experience with tens for rls/plm, whether positive or negative. afaik, you & I are the only one's using it for this purpose.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
It appears using a TENS unit nightly is helping slightly, at least it appears my PLM-esque flow rate is slightly diminished. However, with ASVAuto, the flow rate looks somewhat different than what I have observed on other machines in the past, so I am still learning what 'normal' looks like. 

As far as my PLM diagnosis, my initial sleep study prior to any medication showed a total leg movement index of 12.2 and an index of 8.9 associated with arousals. Just over a year later, while using gabapentin, albeit taking a dosage on the lower side, I had a total leg movement index of 13.7 and an index of 2.1 associated with arousals. This is from a polysomnogram study, so I assume the numbers in and of themselves are correct, but taking into account I do not know if those were accurate representations of an average night, I cannot speak much on how much if at all the leg movements that were 'not associated with arousals are affecting my sleep. 

The literature on RLS and PLM reflect all the personal anecdotes I have read online, in other words, to say they are counterintuitive and contradictory would be an understatement. Some sources say hot baths, cold baths, exercise, stretching, massaging, or even intense mental activity before bed may alleviate symptoms while other sources claim some or all of the aforementioned activities may exasperate symptoms. It really all seems to come down to a person by person basis. It appears some people get lucky by having their RLS be caused from a ferritin deficiency, although I have already had blood work done for that twice in the past. I have read that some people have benefited immensely from taking vitamin D, vitamin B12, and/or magnesium supplements. I still feel completely exhausted every day, but I will give my ASV some time to do it's job.
Post Reply Post Reply
How well is ASV therapy going then?
Post Reply Post Reply
Overall I would say it is going better. At this point in time I am used to the machine. AHI swings from night to night but typically stays under 2.5. I am currently working with my doctor exploring other medication options for RLS. I can post OSCAR charts later, right now I believe I have settled for a min EPAP of 7.0
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you're doing well as far as Apnea. Congrats to ya, just look at OSCAR occasionally. You'll have small AHI up and down nights, but it should remain at 2-3 based on my past ASV usage. That range is where I felt best. You will get some zero event nights as well, so they would be very likely to be real/correct stat wise.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,067 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 160 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,355 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 959 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,207 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.