Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Tidal Volume/ Pressure Settings - Resmed ASV
Tidal Volume/ Pressure Settings - Resmed ASV
I have CA/OA.  I am a 25-year old male weighing 200lbs at a height of 5’11”.

I use a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV (in ASVAuto mode).  My doctor wants me to maintain a Tidal Volume of 200-600 mL. (200 min./400 median/600 90th percentile).

My AirCurve 10 ASV uses a constant “Minute Volume” to manage CA. (The currently recalled Phillips devices use Tidal Volume.)

Question: To what values should I set the four parameters of my AirCurve 10 ASV in order to produce a Tidal Volume range of 200-600 mL?
The four parameters are:
Min EPAP (4.0-15.0)
Max EPAP (4.0-15.0)
Min PS (0.0-6.0)
Max PS (8.0-20.0)

Thanks. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tidal Volume/ Pressure Settings - Resmed ASV
I'm surprised you have no help as of yet. So I'll jump in since I use the same machine.

What did the doctor tell you to set the machine at? Or the DME, what did they set the machine at? Do you have an SD card, have you installed Oscar? Oscar is a program to install to help others help you, and for you to help yourself -- see the top of many pages on here for a link to get it, it's free.

The Resmed defaults are:
EPAP MIN 4.0
EPAP MAX 15.0
PS MIN 3.0
PS MAX 15.0

The pressures can be adjusted after trying it a few days.
On the left side of Oscar, under "Statistics", it shows "Tidal Volume". I see no "Minute Volume" on my screen. You're the first one I've heard that is shooting for a target volume -- most people are just looking for a good nights sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Minute Vent target on the ResMed ASV is a calculated moving average.

To target specific volumes I believe you need an AVAPS machine. I'll let a person more familiar with it than I am speak to that.

What condition are you treating? Please be specific. Is it more than vanilla central apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
Central and the other type, quits breathing for short periods, not sure of the name as I am his mom...he has a concussion,  getting limited information.  ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Central and Obstructive Apneas he developed after a bad concussion almost 2 years ago.  I am his Mom.  Trying to help him since he cannot be on screen time very long each day.  
Thanks for anywhere you can direct me or tell me who to write to?  It's been very hard indeed.  God Bless - Jen
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post a copy of his OSCAR charts. That will show more of what is going on.

To be clear on a point, it may be important.
He definitely had no central apnea prior to the concussion, correct? Meaning he had a prior sleep test with no apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
iVAPS (intelligent Volume-Assured Pressure Support) Maintains a preset target alveolar minute ventilation by monitoring delivered ventilation, adjusting the pressure support and automatically providing an intelligent backup breath. It Treats COPD, Neuromuscular disease (NMD), Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome (OHS) and other respiratory conditions

ASV (adaptive servo-ventilation) Targets the patient’s minute ventilation, continually learning the patient’s breathing pattern and instantly responding to any changes. It treats Central or mixed apneas, complex sleep apnea, Periodic Breathing (PB)

ASVAuto Provides an ASV algorithm plus expiratory positive airway pressure (EPAP) that automatically responds on the patient’s next breath to flow limitation, snore and obstructive sleep apneas. It Treats Central or mixed apneas, complex sleep apnea, Periodic Breathing (PB)

Due to the concussion I believe your son falls into the neuromuscular disease category. I may be wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 16,999 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 138 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 218 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 136 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 175 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,960 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 210 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.