Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Unused upper APAP limit falls for Mask Fit
Unused upper APAP limit falls for Mask Fit
In ckingzzzs's thread started 12/3/15 he and commenter stoopidmonkey and others touch on the subject of this report of mine. The bold font in italics indicates my main point.

As a struggling newbie (driven by home-study-device desats to 66% about 100 days ago while fighting large leaks from 5-20 APAP repeatedly maxing at 20) I stumbled into this report from a ResMed tech who had to talk to their engineering people for an answer.

My DME guy is sharp and has had his own sleep lab. I complained to him that the A10 had become defective. It quit running pressure up to nearly 20, as I wanted to continue for the mask fit function (APAP mode). Fixated on my leak problem, I had seen pressure consistently falling from near 20 by punching "the (selector) button" near max pressure instant of Mask Fit.

DME guy called ResMed and soon handed the phone to me. The first tech inquired up the tech hierarchy and came back with the report that the A10 Autoset programming (after a number of sleep sessions) reduces the upper limit of Mask Fit pressure to a point with some margin above your 95% (or max demanded) pressure.

Then, for a few sessions, I even switched to CPAP and set (fixed) pressure to 20 and used it for mask fit--being careful to reset the A10 to approx. APAP Rx immediately afterward. Meanwhile, I applied advice here on Forum and got leaks and AHI down as I have reported.

I'm just now getting reasonably adept as using the Forum Search so I assume those with only my low skill and knowledge levels need all the help they can get.

The Forum is saturated with good and generous resources and advisors--almost overwhelmingly. With those, with fitting hardware, and with use of software (SleepyHead for me) to learn the ropes and enable advisors you can "get back to sleep"--more restful sleep, if apneas are your problem.

Meanwhile, as flurries of new posts come by, adding to great, diverse and deep archives, I shamelessly claim that it may be worth a fellow newbie's look at my few posts and comments, mostly on pressure and leaks: one struggling man's nearly 90-day journey to some zeroes from an RDI(AHI) in the 50's. You would see good advice I've received from this Forum. Gotta hope my CMS50I arrives soon as I hope my sleep study O2 desaturations down to 66%, and far too often below 88%, have been eliminated.

The "Keep on keeping on!" cliché is apt.

I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unused upper APAP limit falls for Mask Fit
(12-25-2015, 07:09 PM)2SleepBetta Wrote: the A10 Autoset programming (after a number of sleep sessions) reduces the upper limit of Mask Fit pressure to a point with some margin above your 95% (or max demanded) pressure.
Meanwhile, as flurries of new posts come by, adding to great, diverse and deep archives, I shamelessly claim that it may be worth a fellow newbie's look at my few posts and comments, mostly on pressure and leaks: one struggling man's nearly 90-day journey to some zeroes from an RDI(AHI) in the 50's. You would see good advice I've received from this Forum.

Hi 2SleepBetta,

Thanks for the good info about Mask Fit and for the helpful invitation to peruse your past posts for tips on controlling leaks.

By the way, regarding advisors, please read my signature statement.

Take care, and Keep on keeping on!
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Vaughn,

Your reprimand (for "advising", I think) is accepted.

Fresh from seeing and commenting on gimpy's plight, which I had recently experienced, I was, above, too inept and lazy to quote myself (say, about those jeffy1958 mask fitting links) and others to explain how others helped me; I was too quick to share and point others to my earlier mentions of specific Forum experts' posts and recommendations that changed my PAPing life from a real struggle.

There was no intent to walk on Advisors' turf or to step beyond substance already on the Forum...somewhere. True, I had not seen my main point about the Mask Fit pressure reduction, but it was probably on the Forum somewhere.

Additionally and clearly, self ID'ing as a struggling newbie, etc., was an insufficient disclaimer of any expertise. Worse yet, I probably violated a rule--for which having arrived here as a damaged PAPer is probably not a defense.

I was and am simply over enthused with positive results from applying points found on the forum, after being desperate from no sleep (i.e., from leak battles) while Rescan and/or SH showed up to a 120 second apneic event among as many as 43 events per hour.

Thanks for being here and helping run a great forum that helps people whose MD's are out of their element or unresponsive.

2SleepBetta
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 2SleepBetta

I think you may have misinterpreted Vaughan's post. All members are very welcome to post and offer advice. You haven't broken any rules.

Our advisory members actually advise the forum administrator on a range of matters relating to how Apnea Board operates. They don't have any particular knowledge or medical expertise, and don't have any "turf" when it comes to giving advice to other members. We are all of us apneacs and hoseheads and help each other to the best of our experience and ability. But nothing on this board is really medical advice, and doesn't take the place of a proper consultation with a qualified medical practitioner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 2SleepBetta,
It’s great to hear that after much work, you are getting your CPAP therapy dialed in to really meet your needs.
Keep up the good work and thank you for taking the time to give your helpfull posts to newbies.
Don’t sweat it, you didn’t break any rules, you were giving information on how you proved victorious over your struggles with this therapy, thanks again.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2015, 05:55 AM)2SleepBetta Wrote: Hi Vaughn,

Your reprimand (for "advising", I think) is accepted.

Dear 2SleepBetta, please accept my apology and forgive me for creating a misimpression.

The situation is as DeepBreathing has kindly explained. No "reprimand" was intended.

Actually, my intended point concerned only the part of my signature statement which is in bold font, that we are not experts on the treatment of Sleep Apnea. Always use your own judgement, and when feasible consult medical professionals, while recognizing that unfortunately they, too, may be mistaken in their understandings and opinions.

Please understand that the only "turf" Advisory Members have is to be supportive and helpful, and you and all members are most welcome to walk on that turf whenever you have time. Please continue to do so. We need your help.

Again - Thank you for your informative, supportive and helpful post.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

ADDED: I have now edited my signature statement, hopefully making my intended point more clearly.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 298 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 193 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,230 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 155 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 227 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 927 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.