Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Weight loss but cpap pressure has rised
Weight loss but cpap pressure has rised
I'm 49y male and I was diagnosed 2017 with AHI 57 (severe) - values were when lying prone - unable to sleep at all on supine (still the same - palatal prolapse). I have lost weight on "well formulated" keto during past 13 months 45kg (99lbs) BMI 39-->27. Average pressure has rised steadily month to month from 7 to 8.5. 95% pressure rised from 9.5 to 11 during last 13 months. Before that pressures were the same 4 years even weight fluctuated significantly. I have turbinate hypertrofy and ENT shrank them with RFA on jan 2018. I have DISH and there are 1cm osteophytes protrudingfrom spine towards my throat. I think DISH and nasal congestion were the main causes for my sleep apnea and now with this weight loss it seems more certain. It could be that nasal turbinates have regrown and throat osteophytes have grown even bigger - but the timing exactly month to month with weight loss seems odd.

But does anybody else have same kind of experience with pressure rise. Could it be that throat gets "loose" like what my lower belly skin looks right now. I tought I could get rif of cpap but when you have severe OSA it seems it's not going to happen anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Weight loss but cpap pressure has rised
You mentioned my first thought, excess (flabby) skin because of weight loss. Based off of various articles I have read, it takes time for the skin to contract.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weight loss but cpap pressure has rised
You mentioned palatal prolapse, and we have a very good thread by "SleepyCPAP" on using an AlaxoStent to address that problem http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...l-Prolapse What we have found is that this physical problem is not fully resolved by increasing pressure or pressure support, because the airway unpredictably slams shut on exhale and causes the obstruction and arousals you are well aware of. The stent is an alternative to surgical options to stiffen or trim the anterior palate, and has been found effective by at least one of our members, and saves submitting to much more invasive surgery. SleepyCPAP continues to treat his obstructive sleep apnea, but with much lower pressure that in combination with the stent seems to be working well.

Consider the above linked thread, and if you want to investigate your problem, we should move on to look at some charts and perhaps some close-ups of the respiratory wave to see what your obstruction looks like and verify obstruction occurring in the expiratory cycle. We can experiment with pressures and pressure support (EPR) to see if the problem can be mitigated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR and Weight Loss Affecting Mask Seals? Snooks 0 130 05-11-2022, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Snooks
  Tired and Gaining Weight! LagosPrincess 2 171 05-11-2022, 04:53 PM
Last Post: LagosPrincess
  Do I have to readjust pressure settings after losing weight? AntKo 3 207 05-04-2022, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 5 344 03-22-2022, 07:01 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  Thoughts on OSCAR Data and Memory Loss shawnstoked 7 406 12-29-2021, 11:31 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  CPAP Use Found to Cause Weight Gain? MCS2014 10 792 12-19-2021, 12:25 PM
Last Post: BeMurda
  Losing weight and needing less pressure... but aerophagia is worse? legrunt 4 397 11-27-2021, 07:59 PM
Last Post: legrunt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.