Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deep breathing
RE: Deep breathing
There is not and should not be any correlation between flow limitations (respiratory friction) and the "clear airway" apneas. they are caused by different things. your chart shows a large pickup in the number of CA events. But, even this is relative. Your AHI score per night is satisfactory treatment level (AHI of 5 or under). You are getting under 1.0 consistently. If you were not bothered, this actually is a good overall condition to be in.

I would not let these readings bother you at this time, just potentially reduce the EPR to something you are comfortable with, and just hang on at current settings.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those are pretty darn good results. The only thing I see right off the bat is the only events you have been experiencing in the last few days are CA's. Since you feel your pressure is too high, I think I'd lower it just a dab and see what happens. Not more than 1 point though. So instead of 13, go to 12. Then keep an eye on the results.

If you continue to not show any OA's, then after a few days maybe drop to 11.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good feedback. You have very few events, and those are now all CA. The summary charts show you were having some pretty good results in December and early January, then had a large increase in AHI, and now are again having lower AHI but experience discomfort "full lungs". What is going on that those changes happened?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks as always for the feedback. Yes, full lungs is a great way to describe it. I'll dial back to 12 and follow your suggestions.

Even a good new job has its downsides.

Cheers,
Scott
Meet you in the land of nod
- Johnny Mercer
Post Reply Post Reply
ScottW: Your respiratory rate looks high and your Tidal Volume looks like its fairly low. Your Average Tidal Vol is 214ml so If I calculate at the rate of 7ml/kg, you should be weighing 30kg (unlikely). Your breathing pattern is shallow.

Has it always been this way? Or is it a recent phenomenon? Any other medical issues confounding this? It could just be a your body's mechanism to deal with this inflating the baloon feeling.

Reducing EPR to 2 will reduce the difference in IPAP and EPAP and will reduce the "inflating a baloon" feeling but you should see your TV, RR and MV.

Since your AHI is < 1.0 on most days, Another thing you can try is reduce your CPAP pressure by 1cm for a few days. You may take a bit of hit on the AHI but you will breathe better.

My 2 cents. YMMV.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I confess I don't know enough about the readings to gauge how they should be. I've been sailing along relatively happy [for someone who has to sleep with something attached to his face] until this recent bout. I know I don't breathe deeply when I'm sleeping as a rule, which is why this new phenomenon was so perplexing.

I tried lowering the EPR to 2, but that didn't help. However, last night I decided to turn it off altogether and slept through the night with the CPAP attached for the first time in about a week. I'll see if that works again tonight. But I had discovered that the machine was rushing me to inhale, which isn't happening now.

I will dig into learning how to interpret the sleepyhead results and keep a better eye on them.

Thanks again, everyone.

Cheers,
Scott
- Johnny Mercer
Post Reply Post Reply
I did not like the often missed timing of my machine to press the air into me, and so I turned my machine into an auto-titrating CPAP mode. It still changes pressures through the night, but significantly improved the CAs I was experiencing. But, I have only had a couple horrible nights in the last 100 nights.

Glad to hear your success, and hope for continued good results.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wanted to post an update on this thread. For the last couple of weeks I have been unable to use my CPAP machine at all. Either I would start out with laboured breathing [like I wasn't getting enough air, or was getting too much] or would wake up that way after a couple of hours. It was like I was fighting the machine.

I went to the place where I bought the machine, they went over my settings and made a few suggestions, but it didn't make any difference.

Then, a couple of nights ago, I decided to experiment. I got out my old Swift FX mask and used it instead of the Airfit P10. Slept like a baby the last two nights. Although it's not as comfortable as the P10, for some reason I breathe way better with it.

Anyone have any thoughts?
- Johnny Mercer
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're sleeping like a babe with the swift, it's comfortable enough.

But as to the P10: What size pillows are you using? Labored breathing (laboured breathing for you guys in the northern suburbs) is usually a sign of the pillow needing to be one size larger. However you also mention sometimes it's like you're getting too much air. So that doesn't really fit well.

I think it's an issue with the machine settings. If it were me I would leave the pressure at 13, turn ramp to the "off" position," and set the EPR to 2. ...and see how that works.

In spite of all that, there still remains the fact that your swift is letting you sleep like a babe. That's not a bad thing actually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm already using the largest pillow on the P10. And I've tried all manner of settings with the machine with no change.

One thing I have noticed since I switched back is that my night-time incidents have increased from about 0.74 [all CAs] to 1.3 [mostly CAs with a couple of OAs.]
- Johnny Mercer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 24 562 8 minutes ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 126 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 140 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 485 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 352 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 213 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 481 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.