Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD?
What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD?
:grin: My C-PAP salesman and ENT and sleep doctors think that my machine pushes air into my stomach to cause my acid reflux. I get my GERD only at night when I'm asleep. We've ruled out any other cause. Do any of you forum participants have the same problem? If so, what have you done about it, if anything? Huh Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD?
It is called aerophagia. Try raising the head of your bed. You can put something under the feet of the headboard or raise just the head of the mattress. Many of us have it when we start out and for a lot of us, it goes away as we get used to it. For some people, it doesn't.

How long have you been using your CPAP?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I 2nd the raising the head of the bed thing. Also, did they give you a Prilosec or Prevacid or something like that to help?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BruceLeitertheWriter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, everyone! We've tried all of the meds, and I sleep on a mattress wedge that elevates my head. The next thing we might try is to decrease the titration rate of the air pressure to see if that change might help. You might be interested in my personal website, [link removed]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I Ranitidine

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I have your problem. My Gastro man wanted me to tilt the bed where the head is 6" higher than the foot of the bed. I found that you need velcro pj's for that angle. I compromised and raised it to 3" and have found that this helped considerably. I am prescribed Nexium, the 40mg version. I was advised to take it on an empty stomach for a greater effect. You might try doing this with your meds to see if there's any difference. You didn't mention this but don't eat or drink anything, other than water, for 3 hours or more before bed. . . the longer the better.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 251 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 405 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,599 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 301 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice
  Any idea what's causing such low flow rate? stevew77 1 376 10-01-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wanting additional insight on what might be causing me to be so tired relia 4 638 09-27-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  RESMED F30i Mask causing pulsing on exhale HULK 1 570 09-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.