Mask Make & Model: FX Nasal PilloSwift Resmed
Humidifier: 60 Series Heated
CPAP Pressure: 8-13
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

What is mean- support pressure on auto BIPAP
Hello, I'm back with another question.
From yesterday I switched on an rented auto bipap from an auto cpap(also rented) because I had problems with my ears(barotrauma) due to expiratory pressure.
And now, I am trying to understand the role of Min.and Max.pressure support on my auto PRS One Bipap -Bi flex(D760 model). I have done some reading, but still don't understand how pressure support works.
My DME set the I/E pressure on my rented machine thus; Ip=12, Ep=4, bi-flex=2 and Min & Max SupPress=0, but i guess something is goes wrong, as though something would explode in my nostrils when inspire.
On the autoCpap the pressure was set to 8-12.
Thank you.
04-02-2014 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: What is mean- support pressure on auto BIPAP
G'day adin67. It's a little while since I read anything about how pressure support works, so my memory might be a bit hazy...

Basically on bipap type machines the exhale pressure (epap) is set to maintain a patent airway, to try and prevent the onset of obstructive apneas. The inhale pressure (ipap) is varied in response to flow limitations and apneas. The difference between epap and ipap is the pressure support. ipap = epap + ps So if your EPAP = 10 and your PS = 5, then ipap = 10 + 5 = 15.

With auto bilevel machines, both the epap and ps are automatically adjusted up and down to optimise the therapy. There's a good diagram to explain this here:
http://www.resmed.com/uk/assets/images/t...-pic-l.jpg

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-04-2014 05:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] respironics bipap error code hanasdaddy 6 99 Yesterday 01:48 AM
Last Post: hanasdaddy
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,305 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 564 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  First time Bipap User, years of suffering SleepyMersim 18 658 11-16-2016 11:46 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  Ever try to call Philips Respironics for tech support? old dude 9 5,076 11-14-2016 12:27 AM
Last Post: Md Hoq
Question BiPAP vs EPR/Flex etc? SleepyBee 7 266 11-13-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,268 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore