Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] What is mean- support pressure on auto BIPAP
Hello, I'm back with another question.
From yesterday I switched on an rented auto bipap from an auto cpap(also rented) because I had problems with my ears(barotrauma) due to expiratory pressure.
And now, I am trying to understand the role of Min.and Max.pressure support on my auto PRS One Bipap -Bi flex(D760 model). I have done some reading, but still don't understand how pressure support works.
My DME set the I/E pressure on my rented machine thus; Ip=12, Ep=4, bi-flex=2 and Min & Max SupPress=0, but i guess something is goes wrong, as though something would explode in my nostrils when inspire.
On the autoCpap the pressure was set to 8-12.
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day adin67. It's a little while since I read anything about how pressure support works, so my memory might be a bit hazy...

Basically on bipap type machines the exhale pressure (epap) is set to maintain a patent airway, to try and prevent the onset of obstructive apneas. The inhale pressure (ipap) is varied in response to flow limitations and apneas. The difference between epap and ipap is the pressure support. ipap = epap + ps So if your EPAP = 10 and your PS = 5, then ipap = 10 + 5 = 15.

With auto bilevel machines, both the epap and ps are automatically adjusted up and down to optimise the therapy. There's a good diagram to explain this here:
http://www.resmed.com/uk/assets/images/t...-pic-l.jpg
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Respironics M-Series BiPap Auto Question Dawnstar 6 135 08-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need support readyforsleep 7 167 08-13-2017, 03:28 PM
Last Post: readyforsleep
  [Pressure] new airsense auto set pressure? Jom333 10 285 08-13-2017, 02:02 AM
Last Post: Jom333
  [Equipment] Respironics BiPap A40 petnew 2 92 08-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  PS Bipap auto settings.. gouravverma 5 200 08-03-2017, 02:05 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question [Equipment] Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto BIPAP Oxygen Bleed In Issues mshelgamble 10 276 08-01-2017, 10:05 PM
Last Post: mshelgamble
  Future BiPAP user.. Which machine to ask for? Herb 118 5,053 07-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94