Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] What is mean- support pressure on auto BIPAP
What is mean- support pressure on auto BIPAP
Hello, I'm back with another question.
From yesterday I switched on an rented auto bipap from an auto cpap(also rented) because I had problems with my ears(barotrauma) due to expiratory pressure.
And now, I am trying to understand the role of Min.and Max.pressure support on my auto PRS One Bipap -Bi flex(D760 model). I have done some reading, but still don't understand how pressure support works.
My DME set the I/E pressure on my rented machine thus; Ip=12, Ep=4, bi-flex=2 and Min & Max SupPress=0, but i guess something is goes wrong, as though something would explode in my nostrils when inspire.
On the autoCpap the pressure was set to 8-12.
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is mean- support pressure on auto BIPAP
G'day adin67. It's a little while since I read anything about how pressure support works, so my memory might be a bit hazy...

Basically on bipap type machines the exhale pressure (epap) is set to maintain a patent airway, to try and prevent the onset of obstructive apneas. The inhale pressure (ipap) is varied in response to flow limitations and apneas. The difference between epap and ipap is the pressure support. ipap = epap + ps So if your EPAP = 10 and your PS = 5, then ipap = 10 + 5 = 15.

With auto bilevel machines, both the epap and ps are automatically adjusted up and down to optimise the therapy. There's a good diagram to explain this here:
http://www.resmed.com/uk/assets/images/t...-pic-l.jpg
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 10 1,249 03-15-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 449 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 202 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 4 489 03-11-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,152 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  candidate for bipap??? eok361 6 439 02-17-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: eok361
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 387 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.