Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] What is the theoritical correct pressure for a fixed pressure CPAP?
What is the theoritical correct pressure for a fixed pressure CPAP?
I am looking for the pressure setting that would be recommended for a straight CPAP. I am not including my data because I want the theory behind what the recommended pressure would be set.

I know I need the minimum to be high enough to be comfortable and to keep the airway from collapsing. I am beginning to believe the minimum is needed to keep the OA's, H's, flow limits, and snores to a min. And, if the max is too high, you will introduce CA's.

My overall numbers and sleep experience is excellent. AHI near 1 with a few exceptions. Gave up the chin strap as it is no longer needed for leaks.

Most of my apneas are CA's which makes me think the max pressure could be lowered. My home study PSG showed zero Centrals so I wonder if I could lower my max which is quite low anyway.

As I said, "Looking for the theoretical pressure for a straight CPAP". I am thinking the changing pressure has some disruptive effect on my sleeping.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is the theoritical correct pressure for a fixed pressure CPAP?
Medical overview for professionals here:

Obstructive sleep apnea - http://reference.medscape.com/article/295807-overview
Central sleep apnea - http://reference.medscape.com/article/304967-overview

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Not that technical. More like setting it to the 90% or median, or high enough to stop OA'a an low enough to keep out CAs.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I would look at the 90% of both the Last Week and last Last 30 days. If they are close, use them. If they aren't I would extrapolate leaning toward the 30 day value.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are running a pressure range of 5-7 as your profile shows, that's pretty narrow.  

Normally a recommendation is made to set it to your 90% or median pressure reading.   Where are your pressures running?  If your topping out at 7cm, then set it to 8cm.
If not, set it to 7cm.  If your profile isn't correct, then scrap what I said.
I would turn the EPR off with such a low pressure.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is how it is figured out.  This is how a sleep lab does it.

CPAP titration

1. Set your initial pressure, protocols call for values from 4 to 6 or 2-3 cmH2O below your current settings then

2. Increase CPAP ≥1 cm H2O every ≥5 mins for obstructive apneas, hypopneas, RERAs and at least 3 min of loud or unambiguous snoring

3. Is the patient having obstructive events? If yes, repeat step 2
Obviously we cannot make an evaluation every 5 minutes while we are sleeping so we perform our evaluations in nightly cycles.

Once this base is determined we tweak based on data presented in your daily charts over time.

Read this   http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ng_therapy
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the last 2 days to demonstrate.

http://imgur.com/a/r3hX2

I have decided to only change settings at the beginning of the month and these settings have been in effect only since the beginning of May.
Post Reply Post Reply
If my numbers were that low I would automatically raise them by holding my breath hoping the number never get worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, your numbers are excellent, anybody would love to have them. I would recommend no changes. IF, and a big if, you feel the need to tweak remember your current settings as they are a good and safe place to return to. And make only small changes, no more than .5 cm, .2cm would be better.

The better question is how do you feel. Any issues with your pressures, or comfort? This is where I would concentrate.

again congrats on your numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
your chart looks good, those 3 clear airways could be anything, you could zoom in and see what they look like. It is normal to have some breathing events

this titration guide may be a help, with how they do fixed pressure cpap titration.
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf

http://imgur.com/o9cjuUc
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 32 1 hour ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 80 3,253 2 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,523 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 6 145 03-17-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 71 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 155 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 450 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.