Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] What is the theoritical correct pressure for a fixed pressure CPAP?
RE: What is the theoritical correct pressure for a fixed pressure CPAP?
(05-14-2017, 06:28 PM)Rcgop Wrote: I am looking for the pressure setting that would be recommended for a straight CPAP. I am not including my data because I want the theory behind what the recommended pressure would be set.

I know I need the minimum to be high enough to be comfortable and to keep the airway from collapsing. I am beginning to believe the minimum is needed to keep the OA's, H's, flow limits, and snores to a min. And, if the max is too high, you will introduce CA's.

My overall numbers and sleep experience is excellent. AHI near 1 with a few exceptions. Gave up the chin strap as it is no longer needed for leaks.

Most of my apneas are CA's which makes me think the max pressure could be lowered. My home study PSG showed zero Centrals so I wonder if I could lower my max which is quite low anyway.

As I said, "Looking for the theoretical pressure for a straight CPAP". I am thinking the changing pressure has some disruptive effect on my sleeping.

there is no such thing

everybody has their own pressure that works best
and many people change from day to day if not hour to hour

get an auto machine that changes to what you actually need at that moment
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2017, 06:28 PM)Rcgop Wrote: I am looking for the pressure setting that would be recommended for a straight CPAP. I am not including my data because I want the theory behind what the recommended pressure would be set.

I know I need the minimum to be high enough to be comfortable and to keep the airway from collapsing. I am beginning to believe the minimum is needed to keep the OA's, H's, flow limits, and snores to a min. And, if the max is too high, you will introduce CA's.

My overall numbers and sleep experience is excellent. AHI near 1 with a few exceptions. Gave up the chin strap as it is no longer needed for leaks.

Most of my apneas are CA's which makes me think the max pressure could be lowered. My home study PSG showed zero Centrals so I wonder if I could lower my max which is quite low anyway.

As I said, "Looking for the theoretical pressure for a straight CPAP". I am thinking the changing pressure has some disruptive effect on my sleeping.

you do realise that a cpap only has one pressure

a bipap has two
Post Reply Post Reply
A CPAP has a pressure range for 4cm to 20cm and can allow an exhale pressure relief of up to 3cm.  A Bi-PAP has a pressure range of 4cm to 25cm and can allow an exhale pressure relief greater than 3cm.  CPAPs can come in a single pressure model or an Autoset (APAP) model that will allow setting the pressure range.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
He has an auto machine. He doesn't realise how good his numbers are and is concerned about 3 clear airways.
I think he's referring to his pressure range min and max.

Though I would say that the EPR function is close enough to a PS 1-3cm bilevel for me
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 38 2 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 80 3,258 3 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,523 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 6 146 03-17-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 72 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 155 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 450 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.