Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] What is the theoritical correct pressure for a fixed pressure CPAP?
(05-14-2017, 06:28 PM)Rcgop Wrote: I am looking for the pressure setting that would be recommended for a straight CPAP. I am not including my data because I want the theory behind what the recommended pressure would be set.

I know I need the minimum to be high enough to be comfortable and to keep the airway from collapsing. I am beginning to believe the minimum is needed to keep the OA's, H's, flow limits, and snores to a min. And, if the max is too high, you will introduce CA's.

My overall numbers and sleep experience is excellent. AHI near 1 with a few exceptions. Gave up the chin strap as it is no longer needed for leaks.

Most of my apneas are CA's which makes me think the max pressure could be lowered. My home study PSG showed zero Centrals so I wonder if I could lower my max which is quite low anyway.

As I said, "Looking for the theoretical pressure for a straight CPAP". I am thinking the changing pressure has some disruptive effect on my sleeping.

there is no such thing

everybody has their own pressure that works best
and many people change from day to day if not hour to hour

get an auto machine that changes to what you actually need at that moment
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2017, 06:28 PM)Rcgop Wrote: I am looking for the pressure setting that would be recommended for a straight CPAP. I am not including my data because I want the theory behind what the recommended pressure would be set.

I know I need the minimum to be high enough to be comfortable and to keep the airway from collapsing. I am beginning to believe the minimum is needed to keep the OA's, H's, flow limits, and snores to a min. And, if the max is too high, you will introduce CA's.

My overall numbers and sleep experience is excellent. AHI near 1 with a few exceptions. Gave up the chin strap as it is no longer needed for leaks.

Most of my apneas are CA's which makes me think the max pressure could be lowered. My home study PSG showed zero Centrals so I wonder if I could lower my max which is quite low anyway.

As I said, "Looking for the theoretical pressure for a straight CPAP". I am thinking the changing pressure has some disruptive effect on my sleeping.

you do realise that a cpap only has one pressure

a bipap has two
Post Reply Post Reply
A CPAP has a pressure range for 4cm to 20cm and can allow an exhale pressure relief of up to 3cm.  A Bi-PAP has a pressure range of 4cm to 25cm and can allow an exhale pressure relief greater than 3cm.  CPAPs can come in a single pressure model or an Autoset (APAP) model that will allow setting the pressure range.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

He has an auto machine. He doesn't realise how good his numbers are and is concerned about 3 clear airways.
I think he's referring to his pressure range min and max.

Though I would say that the EPR function is close enough to a PS 1-3cm bilevel for me
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shortness of Breath/Air Hunger; Fixed Bakerman82 8 143 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  [Equipment] Correct mask for high pressure djfro 4 99 6 hours ago
Last Post: Apnea Infant
  Pressure raises when there is ca events yankees123 25 683 12-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Testing severity of Sleep Apnea with maximum 4 pressure freetime 8 257 12-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Why is that at the same setting two masks feel different pressure TimtheEnchanter 3 127 12-11-2017, 06:24 AM
Last Post: pupcamper
  Pillow vs FFM, pressure conversion formula? kiwii 39 940 12-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Last Post: kiwii
  changing from CPAP to APAP- which pressure to use? cbrts765 16 594 12-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore