Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new CPAP user [suffocating sensation / CA questions]
new CPAP user [suffocating sensation / CA questions]
I feel like I cannot breath/get air after about 10 minutes of CPAP use. I use the nasal pillows. In addition can using a CPAP machine cause central sleep apnea? Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new CPAP user
Hi Apnea247 - Welcome

Most users find they feel starved for air until the pressure is about 7cm or higher. We routinely suggest raising the starting pressure to 7cm or higher.

You will need to enter the clinician menu to change the pressure and/or any ramp. To obtain a copy the Clinician's menu, look here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...P-Pressure
Please note, you will need to be signed in to access this area of the forum.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea247

Crimson Nape gave you good advice.

Welcome to the forum
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi crimson

Thank you for you reply.

I should clarify. I was doing fine on 8cm of water pressure but as I felt my self dozing off and this happens without my CPAP device I felt immediately as if I was being choked and I had to yank off he mask. I often doze off during he day and I am woken up seconds later from what I think is central sleep apnea or osa. I’m not sure how to proceed with my CPAP therapy which I so desperately need to work as I’m having heart trouble at the age of 24 because of undiagnosed sleep apnea for many years. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have an Elite or Autoset A10 model, then I HIGHLY recommend that you download #SleepyHead. the download link is in the name. You will need an SD card to obtain any detailed sleep data. Some A10 were shipped without an SD card. If yours doesn't have one, any SD card 2Gb to 32Gb will work.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got that feeling when I mistakenly used the wrong size nasal pillows.  My mask came with large, medium, and small ones, and I got them mixed up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea247 hi and welcome,

In answer to the question of CPAP causing central apnea, it can at times do so. Seemingly typical cases can have a light amount of centrals that will fade after a short time passes and the user adapts to CPAP. Although it's more rare, there are some like myself, where the centrals don't go away due to an ongoing imbalance between carbon dioxide and oxygen that CPAP pressures tend to exacerbate the situation. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 415 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 154 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,486 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,040 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,016 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.