Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] You CAN Adjust your own CPAP Pressure
RE: You CAN Adjust your own CPAP Pressure [copied from old forum]
jamesky,(time=1270947702) Wrote:When I was first diagnosed about 2 years ago, my machine was a previous model Respironics that worked wonders. I had never slept like that in my life.
Hi jamesky, and welcome to Apnea Board!

I'm wondering what machine did you have before this one - was it an auto machine or straight CPAP?

Quote:My machine was updated to the new System One A-Flex and, with the change to a lower pressure following my yearly followup, life hasn't been the same. I have consistently gone down in sleep time and quality. I'll check with the doctor later but, right now I have the info to adjust to where I was before. I slept like a baby with a pressure of 12 but they changed to 9 with the new machine with too long of a ramp time.

Is the new machine set to Auto mode or CPAP mode? Looks like your range is 9-20, meaning the machine auto-adjusts to give you the proper pressure as you sleep - if that's the case, it's odd that you're feeling worse - usually auto machines provide better treatment than straight CPAP.

If it's operating in CPAP mode with a constant pressure, I would get the clinician manual out and change it to Auto mode, unless of course it already is in auto mode. There are many benefits to using an auto machine, you can read more HERE.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
columbo Wrote:My RX was for 12-15, but the DME set it for 10-15. The mean pressures were always in the low 10's.

Since then, I switched machines, so the AHI's are different now.

I saw the doc about 3 weeks ago and she set the minimum pressure at 11, with an RX to go to 12 when I get used to 11. Mean pressures were 11 when minimum was set to 11. There were no changes in AHI between 10 and 11 minimum pressures. Butt, I started to get aerophagia (farty) and more air leak from my lips (not a mouth breather.)

Last night I changed it to 12 as per RX. AHI is the same for the first night (about 5), but the pressure is blowing air out of my closed lips and out my....you know. I had this "leak" with a pressure of 10 as well, but not as often.

I think 12 is just more than I need as a minimum setting, but the doc thought the machine was "missing" sensing some hypopneas.

What is this mysterious little valve that allows the air to fill the mouth? I can open my mouth with the CPAP on and not have air leak out. Then try to say a word that starts with "K" or "C" and the air comes out.

EDIT: I called the doc (fellow) to explain what was happening at the higher pressure. She said to take an antacid like Prilosec, even though I don't have acid reflux! She said that I probably do, but don't know it!! I thanked her and hung up. Then I called back and asked that she not follow my case anymore and I wanted to talk to someone else. Being a teaching facility, it has to be a fellow though. She agreed to write an RX for 8-15. She also said that I may not ever feel relief from using CPAP, but said I should continue for preventative measures.
Post Reply Post Reply
danno Wrote:Help set pressure on Resmed Autospirit.

Can anyone inform me on how to set the pressure on the Resmed Autospirit? I did do a search on this forum for that information; however, I did not find anything on my particular model.

My cpap machines starts off fine, when I first turn it on and get ready for sleep. It quitely does its job, and I have zero problem falling asleep. However, I wake up in the middle of the night, almost every night, with my cpap "blasting" air into my nose. Its so much pressure; it "burns" my sinuses. Incidentally, this burning I speak of is not a fire type burning sensation, but more of a wind burn sensation. It's really starting to negatively affect my sinuses. I would like to set it to the exact pressure it starts off on every night, and keep there. I love this machine. I'll put up with the excess pressure if I have to, but if I can figure out how to set this pressure, it would be perfect.

If anyone can help me out on this bit, I would greatly appreciate it, very much. Thanks.

danno

PS. I love this machine. It has had a very dramatic and positive effect on my health. Before I got this machine, I felt like I was slowly dying. Yes, as melodramatic as that may seem to some, I felt like I was slowly dying. Every single morning, I would "wake up" in the morning feeling incredibly exhausted. I would yearn - pine - beg - curse - cry for just one night of sound peaceful sleep. But that was not to be had. My sleepless nights got so bad, that I would "microsleep" at red lights, stop signs, and even as I was driving my kids to school, and myself to work. Once I got to work, I would have to load up on the coffee to muster any kind of focus or concentration, but that only works for so long. Many times I would catch myself asleep at my desk. Obviously I couldn't exercise because of my exhaustion - my weight shot up to 270lbs. - I had terrible acid reflux problems - I was highly stressed - my nerves were frayed - I was starting to become depressed. My health was on a steep downward spiral, and I couldn't do anything about it.

Out of shear desperation, I decided to stop at that sleep clinic that I would pass every day on my daily commute. That was literally one of the best decisions I've ever made. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. My sleep apea was so severe, that the doctor not only prescribed the cpap machine, but an oxygen machine as well, because my brain had been getting deprived of oxygen every night, for far too long. I gladly and eagerly used that machine, and I wore that mask, despite my initial fear or feelings of suffocation. My yearning for sleep were so powerful, that I easily beat down those initial fears of wearing that mask. And I've been wearing that mask ever since that first day.

Too make this long story short: I can finally sleep again. I have since lost 40lbs. I don't suffer from any acid reflux whatsoever; I use to pop all brands of anti-acids like candy. I feel strong again - I feel healthy again, because I am.

I'm just sharing this with any of you, because if there is anyone out there having second thoughts about there cpap machine, or about even getting one, then please do yourself a big big favor, and GET IT - WEAR IT - USE IT!
Post Reply Post Reply

Howdy danno - welcome to Apnea Board!
Quote:Can anyone inform me on how to set the pressure on the Resmed Autospirit?
Yes. I believe your machine is the ResMed Autoset Spirit, correct? In order to get into the clinician setup menu and change the pressure, here's the procedure:

Access the Clinical Menu from the AutoSet Spirit screen by holding down the Right
and Up/Down keys simultaneously for at least 3 seconds.

To navigate and make selections within the Clinical Menu, use:

• the Up/Down key to scroll through items within a level
• the Left key to enter a submenu and to apply an option choice
• the Right key to navigate out of a menu or submenu and to exit without
changing options.

You can change between running your machine as an auto-CPAP or as a straight CPAP, using the options in these menus.

Also we have a full Clinician Manual for your machine, that gives you all the little "secrets" like this (and others, like the complete menu structure and what each feature does) which will allow you to take more control of your machine.

Our Clinician Setup CPAP Manual page is here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/CPAP%20Adjustment.htm

Please read through the page, and scroll down to follow the directions on how to obtain your manual via email. I try and send out manuals within a day of when I receive the email request, sometimes much faster.

Quote:Too make this long story short: I can finally sleep again. I have since lost 40lbs. I don't suffer from any acid reflux whatsoever; I use to pop all brands of anti-acids like candy. I feel strong again - I feel healthy again, because I am.

I'm just sharing this with any of you, because if there is anyone out there having second thoughts about there cpap machine, or about even getting one, then please do yourself a big big favor, and GET IT - WEAR IT - USE IT!
Absolutely agree. CPAP has helped so many people - they are amazing machines. So glad you shared your positive experience!

Let us know if you have any other questions and if these directions work for you.

Sleep well!

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
columbo Wrote:
SuperSleeper,(time=1271729380) Wrote:
columbo,(time=1271710255) Wrote:What is this mysterious little valve that allows the air to fill the mouth? I can open my mouth with the CPAP on and not have air leak out. Then try to say a word that starts with "K" or "C" and the air comes out.
I think that's called the Epiglottis.

It's what closes the windpipe when you swallow.
So does a muscle that normally keeps this shut relax during sleep or something, allowing air into my mouth? What is happening that allows the air to bypass it? If I allow my tongue to relax towards the back of my mouth, this does open. I guess nothing can be done about it, other than tape my lips closed. It seems that when someone laughs and liquid comes out their nose, this is the part that lets that happen??

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
columbo,(time=1271736121) Wrote:So does a muscle that normally keeps this shut relax during sleep or something, allowing air into my mouth? What is happening that allows the air to bypass it? If I allow my tongue to relax towards the back of my mouth, this does open. I guess nothing can be done about it, other than tape my lips closed. It seems that when someone laughs and liquid comes out their nose, this is the part that lets that happen??

Thanks.
I see what you're asking now - misunderstood you at first. It's the Soft Palate that is responsible for closing off the nasal passages when you swallow. The Epiglottis prevents food from going into the trachea (windpipe) when you swallow.

So yes, it's the relaxing of the soft palate that seems to allow air to enter your mouth while the air is going into your nostrils via CPAP. The nasal cavities are linked to the mouth.

Here's a picture of the whole area:

[Image: Gray855.png]

As far as keeping your mouth closed, several people have issues with this, it's called "mouth breathing" or "mouth air leaks". Some solutions that work for some people are:

1. Use a chin strap to keep the mouth closed.

2. "Train yourself" to "curl" or "tuck" your tongue up against the roof of your mouth prior to going to sleep - this closes off the ability of air to come out of your mouth.

3. Use mouth tape

4. Use a full face mask

5. Sleep on your side or stomach, not on your back.

6. Read this one a few years ago: Get a baby pacifier and stick it in your mouth before going to sleep - some people swear it works.

Try different things, the easiest & cheapest first.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
columbo Wrote:Thanks for the reply. Here is an update using 8-15 for one night. I know this can vary from day to day, minute to minute. I think this just shows that the minimum of 10 was too high all along. The doc wanted to raise me to 12!

The AHI is even lower now. It was 5.3.

Mean Press; 9.6
AHI; 4.3

1.) Air leaks without mouth opening, so chin strap probably would not help.

2.) I DO normally have my tongue pressed against the top of my mouth all the time. It's just subconsciously like that. So that's a plus.

3.) Thinking of doing this. But you can't yawn!!

4.) Tried getting fitted with one full face mask, but one that even went over my eyes. Could not get a seal. I know there are ones that only cover the nose and mouth. DME is giving me a hard time about trying so many different masks!! Now they are not returning phone calls.

5.) I am usually on one side or the other and rarely on my back. If I'm on my back, it's not for very long.

6.) Prefer the real thing, but WTH, it's worth a try! (Can I say that here? If not, you can edit it.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, lower AHI is always good. Big Grin

Glad you're taking control of your own therapy, Columbo.

If you try the pacifier system, there are some here who will expect you to post pictures (for purely informational purposes only)... Wink Tongue
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
columbo Wrote:Renting an S9 now!! No climate lined hose as the DME does not have them yet. They don't have filters yet either.

A Swift FX was recommended for comfort, but with the mouth leaking (jaw shut) they set me up with a mask that covers nose and mouth. It was hard to get a good seal, but he said to try it for a week. If I'm not happy, we'll try something else. (I guess it really matter who you are working with at this company.)

Note on the S9 so far, there is no setting for 3m hose. Only "standard" and "slim-line." I called ResMed to see if I could still use my 3m standard hose and what, if any, difference would it make. Waiting for an answer.

Is there a threshold for AHI? Lower is better, but is 4 or 5 too high?

Will work on pictures! Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
columbo,(time=1271801967) Wrote:Renting an S9 now!!
Is there a threshold for AHI? Lower is better, but is 4 or 5 too high?
I think you'll be happy with the S9 - it's a super machine according to most people I've corresponded with.

Yes, 4-5 on your AHI is GOOD. That's below the threshold for what is considered "Sleep Apnea", according to most sleep apnea doctors:

AHI < 5/h = No Sleep Apnea

AHI 5 to < 15/h = Mild Sleep Apnea- (some say that 5-10 would be called "borderline OSA")

AHI 15 to < 30/h = Moderate Sleep Apnea

AHI > or = 30/h = Severe Sleep Apnea

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 235 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 274 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Please help me adjust settings from OSCAR to CPAP deirdrepen 2 290 01-14-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.