Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] You CAN Adjust your own CPAP Pressure
RE: You CAN Adjust your own CPAP Pressure [copied from old forum]
columbo Wrote:First night with S9 and full face mask. Settings of 8-15.

Mean pressure; 9.2 (Fellow wanted to raise from 10-15 to 12-15! Got that RX changed to 8-15.)

Leaks; 0.0! (Activa fit pretty good. I think the lip bubbling registered as leaks with just the nasal mask. They were 4.8L/min. with 95% at 36.0.)

AHI; 0.0!

(So who's the smarter one?)

Still waiting for an answer on using the 3m hose though. So maybe those numbers are not quite accurate.

S9 is quiet. S9 takes up a bit of room though. While the CPAP and heater aren't much bigger (in sq. in.) than the S8, the hose comes out the back. I think this was a design mistake; it should come out the top. Just my opinion. This will take more space on whatever you have the machine setting on. It also uses a remote power supply.

Nice machine!!
Post Reply Post Reply
columbo,(time=1271867157) Wrote:AHI; 0.0!
Hmm... 0.0 AHI?? That doesn't sound right. Especially since you were at 4-5 prior to this.

I wonder if this reading is averaged - in other words, it will read 0.0 until it gets a few nights of data to calculate an accurate AHI perhaps?

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
columbo Wrote:
columbo,(time=1271872868) Wrote:
SuperSleeper,(time=1271868417) Wrote:
columbo,(time=1271867157) Wrote:AHI; 0.0!
Hmm... 0.0 AHI?? That doesn't sound right. Especially since you were at 4-5 prior to this.

I wonder if this reading is averaged - in other words, it will read 0.0 until it gets a few nights of data to calculate an accurate AHI perhaps?
I don't know yet. But it says "last night." There is no separate reading for AHI, HI, AI like the S8 has. Just AHI. I've used the same 3m tubing with all three machines. I put another call into ResMed on the use of that tubing.

My AHI with the PR One was 1.6 though.

Per ResMed; "NO" to 3m tubing on S9.
Update; second night readings/report with 2m (size matters) slim tubing;

Press; 9.2 (same as w/3m tubing)

AHI; 1.8 (now there is a reading, not 0.0)

Looks like a winning combo to me! (It would be crazy to set the low pressure to 12 like the trainee wants to do.)

Sorry to those wanting to see pictures with a pacifier! Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
columbo Wrote:AHI; 1.8 (now there is a reading, not 0.0)
That ain't bad at all. Big Grin
So it looks like the 0.0 reading on the first night was because it didn't have enough data yet, either that or you slept really well that first night with the S9.

Quote:There is no separate reading for AHI, HI, AI like the S8 has
I wonder if there is a setting to allow you to see this - something you can change in the clinician setup menu system, perhaps?

If not, you might want to try to download the ResScan software, because I betcha a buck that it will be able to separate out the AHI into HI & AI. I wouldn't think ResMed would make a brand new S9 machine that had less capability than it's S8 predecessor, but who knows. :ermm:
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Columbo -

Just looked at the S9 clinician manual, and it looks like the data is separated out of the AHI, into AI (and therefore HI as well), but may be viewable only with the ResScan software. If you have an SD card reader on your computer, I believe that's all you need for the software, because you can download it for free (link provided on the Members Only Forum).
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
columbo Wrote:think the 0.0 AHI was probably due to the 3m hose length. Maybe the machine could not sense them.

I'm not too concerned with the AI because I don't really have them. Just hypopneas. The S8 read something like 0.2 AI over about a months time.

If I had an SD card reader on my computer, I would look into getting the program to read it. But I don't. Is there an external card reader that plugs into a USB port? If so, do you know how much they cost?

The technician has to follow the RX the doctor writes. I happen to have a "fellow" (aka trainee) that was handling my case. She said not to let the machine do it's thing because "it could spike" or "miss sensing a hypopnea or apnea event."
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:The technician has to follow the RX the doctor writes.
Thank makes sense.

Quote:If I had an SD card reader on my computer, I would look into getting the program to read it. But I don't. Is there an external card reader that plugs into a USB port? If so, do you know how much they cost?

Yes, they make them. They are like dirt cheap, lately.

You can find a ton of them on Amazon, just search for "USB SD card reader".

Also, various brick & mortar stores carry them - Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. Most of them are less than $20, some are a bit more.

Nice thing is, your S9 already comes with the SD card in the box.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
raydeeohman Wrote:This issue may have been addressed but if so, here it is again. I don't own my machine, it is currently being rented by BCBS and will be for 10 months, according to the DME provider. I've been on the CPAP for 17 days with no noticable change in symptoms - fatigue, etc. I switched the machine to AUTO on the third night and switched it back after two nights. I set the range, etc and it seemed to be more comfortable like that but what I was worried about was that I don't own it and a couple days ago, I had to take in the SD card to the DME for a compliance check. They gave me a new card as a replacement. I haven't heard back about it but I guess that I wonder what they may say about me messing with the settings. BTW, my AHI average now is about 11. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi raydeeohman -

Sometimes it takes several weeks after you begin CPAP therapy to notice any significant change in your symptoms.

I think that Auto-CPAP (or APAP) machines are the best way to go for most Sleep Apnea patients, assuming they can afford one or get their DME to supply one. There are a lot of reasons for this, as outlined on our web page on Auto CPAPs (click here).

raydeeohman Wrote:I had to take in the SD card to the DME for a compliance check. They gave me a new card as a replacement. I haven't heard back about it but I guess that I wonder what they may say about me messing with the settings.
Most recommend that if you're renting a machine from a DME, and you want to make small, incremental changes to your pressure, or switch modes (from straight CPAP to Auto-CPAP) take out the SD memory card first. If you leave it in, then change the pressure and run it that way, this activity will be recorded onto the SD card, and the DME will know you have attempted the pressure change. While not illegal, it may invalidate your service agreement, so be careful. If you take the SD card out, and the DME says, "hey - there's no data on this card", it might be because "you forgot to put the SD card back in" or maybe "you didn't have it pushed in all the way" (hint, hint) Wink

If in doubt, it's always best to be up front with the doctor so you can get their input prior to making any pressure changes or mode changes (such as moving from straight CPAP to auto-CPAP). That way, if they agree with the change, you're not going to get in trouble with your DME.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
raydeeohman,(time=1272724680) Wrote:Thanks SS, but my machine won't work without the SD card plugged in. And it has internal memory that gets written to the card whenever it is plugged back in. Apparently, the SD card is only for reporting usage information, etc. I'm not too concerned about it, just suffice to say that there are issues to consider if you, like many of us, are caught in a rental deal between the DME provider and an insurance company. Thanks for your reply.
Hmm.. it won't work without the SD card in the slot? Could be wrong but I thought I heard that you can change a setting that would allow you it to work without the card?

Anyway, if it will work without the SD card in, and the internal memory records data that is later transfered to the SD card when it's put in the slot, there is a CPAP re-set function I believe that will wipe out all data in the internal memory to return the machine to the factory defaults, thus wiping out anything in the internal memory that might be transfered to the card.

But, as long as there's no issues that your DME will get all flustered about, I guess it's no big deal.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 237 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 278 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 448 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 404 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Please help me adjust settings from OSCAR to CPAP deirdrepen 2 292 01-14-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.