Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] about EPAP and IPAP for Airsense s10
about EPAP and IPAP for Airsense s10
Dear Sir

From this picture, I got some questions
For pressure
1.Which value can hold airway open? red line(IPAP) or green line(EPAP)? 
2.if turn off EPR for Airsense S10 (EPAP=IPAP), then set up pressure 4.0 to 7.54 (EPAP), or set up 5.0 to 10.54 (pressure), which one is enough to hold airway open?
3.How different is between them? (open EPR (Get EPAP) or just turn off EPR and set up right pressure value to hold airway open (No EPAP)
4 How do I know a non-EPR pressure would be more appropriate from this picture (or appropriate pressure with EPR 3)? Because from this picture, Where can I get right setting value for pressure (Min to Max),

Thanx , everyone

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: about EPAP and IPAP for Airsense s10
Hi Format.

It's the EPAP which hold the airway open during exhale. With the Airsense 10 Autoset, the pressure during inhalation is the set pressure. The EPR (exhalation pressure relief) lowers the pressure as you exhale. This is so that you can breathe out easily against the pressure the machine is producing. But if you set EPR at (say) 3, you need to increase the pressure to compensate.

In the chart you have given us, the minimum set pressure (7 cmH2O) is the inhale pressure. The machine then deducts 3 cm of EPR to give you an exhale pressure of 4.0. The numbers for apnea and hypopnea look pretty good, so if you are comfortable with this pressure I don't see any need to change it.

Just to confirm - your profile says you're using a Prisma machine - have you changed to Resmed?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2019, 03:31 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Format.

It's the EPAP which hold the airway open during exhale. With the Airsense 10 Autoset, the pressure during inhalation is the set pressure. The EPR (exhalation pressure relief) lowers the pressure as you exhale. This is so that you can breathe out easily against the pressure the machine is producing. But if you set EPR at (say) 3, you need to increase the pressure to compensate.

In the chart you have given us, the minimum set pressure (7 cmH2O) is the inhale pressure. The machine then deducts 3 cm of EPR to give you an exhale pressure of 4.0. The numbers for apnea and hypopnea look pretty good, so if you are comfortable with this pressure I don't see any need to change it.

Just to confirm - your profile says you're using a Prisma machine - have you changed to Resmed?

Dear DB Sir:

Actually I have both, resmed Airsense S10 is my back up machine, but resmed's AHI is lower than Prisma's, so maybe I will change to use resmed Airsense S10 mostly

BTW, I still have one question more, for question 3 as below Could you let me know their difference and which setting is better? thanx again

3.How different is between them? Turn on EPR (Get EPAP-4.0 to 7.54) or just turn off EPR and set up Min to Max(4.0 to 7.54) (EPAP=IPAP)
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear DB Sir:

I also wanna show you another prisma 20A's picture. When OSA happen, Prisma will cancel SofaPAP(EPR) and raise pressure to solve OSA (EPAP=IPAP)

Resmed have the same feature as Prisma? thanx

Post Reply Post Reply

Sorry, updated with Picture
Post Reply Post Reply
Format, I reviewed your posted results and would like to suggest a starting pressure of 8.0 minimum pressure with EPR at 2, maximum pressure 14.0. You have flow limitation in your results, and your events are hypopnea. You need the EPR rather than constant pressure to help with those issues. The higher starting pressure will help elevate EPAP to 6.0 which should help prevent the OA events we see. Overall, your results are actually quite good, but I think the higher starting pressure should help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2019, 09:28 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Format, I reviewed your posted results and would like to suggest a starting pressure of 8.0 minimum pressure with EPR at 2, maximum pressure 14.0.  You have flow limitation in your results, and your events are hypopnea. You need the EPR rather than constant pressure to help with those issues.  The higher starting pressure will help elevate EPAP to 6.0 which should help prevent the OA events we see.  Overall, your results are actually quite good, but I think the higher starting pressure should help.

How to know low limitation in my results, and my events are hypopnea from this chart?

If I turn off EPR and set up a starting pressure of 6.0 minimum pressure, maximum pressure 12.0.

Will it be the same result as your suggestion? (You suggest a starting pressure of 8.0 minimum pressure with EPR at 2, maximum pressure 14.0.)

Thank you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
With my suggested settings you will get both IPAP and EPAP pressure in a range from 8.0/6.0 to 14.0/12.0. I doubt you will get close to the maximum. What the EPR does is to provide a small pressure support to inspiration so that it is a little easier to inhale and easier to exhale, and that is what reduces the flow limitations. EPAP is to keep the airway open, and the pressure support is to help with inspiratory volume and rate (flow). The important part of this is your EPAP will not be less than 6.0, and that is a big difference compared to the chart you posted. I think you will find this more comfortable and that it functions better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear Sir:

I change to use Vauto, this is my chart as below, Do you have any good suggestion for pressure? thanx very much

Post Reply Post Reply
Results on the Vauto look good, and I don't think the morning CA events are anything to worry about. At 5.0 EPAP min, PS 2, IPAP max 10 your pressure varies by only 1-cm, so your needs are met with fairly low pressures. How are you feeling? Is this therapy comfortable for you?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,091 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 245 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS] ldinks 154 12,203 08-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Dutchie
  Is this due to too much PS/EPAP? Xeros 7 813 07-31-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Xeros
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,625 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.