Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure and Snoring
Pressure and Snoring
I have the S9 elite and I was using a nasal mask, and my wife complains about snoring, I have a snore guard made by my dentist. I have never gotten the "refreshing sleep" that I think you should get. I have had a cpap for about 5 years with this new machine for about a year.

My question, I was originally set at a 10, and went through another study last year and they kept me at a 10. I am thinking about bumping up to a 12 but I wanted some thoughts on this.

I have also switched to a full face mask resmed Quattro FX hoping that helps.

Thoughts?

thanks!

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure and Snoring
Hi graphton,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I just downloaded some software It looks like my problem is leaks? see attached photo!
(12-18-2012, 06:15 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi graphton,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

THANKS!!! Glad to be here!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2012, 05:58 PM)graphton Wrote: I have the S9 elite and I was using a nasal mask, and my wife complains about snoring, I have a snore guard made by my dentist. I have never gotten the "refreshing sleep" that I think you should get. I have had a cpap for about 5 years with this new machine for about a year.

My question, I was originally set at a 10, and went through another study last year and they kept me at a 10. I am thinking about bumping up to a 12 but I wanted some thoughts on this.

I have also switched to a full face mask resmed Quattro FX hoping that helps.

Hi Jim, welcom to the forum!

While using the nasal mask, did your wife indicate whether you were breathing through your mouth? If that was the case then the Quattro FX should really help you since a full face mask allows for either mouth or nasal breathing.

If both of your studies indicated that 10 cm was sufficient to keep your airway open you should monitor your results before making any kind of pressure changes, if you go too high you can actually induce Central Apnea's (which is a bad thing).

You can download either ResScan or SleepyHead (I use both) to monitor your AHI to determine if a pressure change is warranted, without knowing what your leak rate is and your average AHI you'd just be shooting in the dark trying to find an accurate pressure.

You can find both applications here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

SleepyHead is more user friendly for a first time user but ResScan was written by our CPAP's manufacturer (ResMed) and has a few more technical details than SleepyHead but I like the zoom feature much better in SleepyHead and the simplicity of the program.

In any case, if you do determine you might benefit from a higher pressure, you should NOT just turn it up by 2 cm, rather it's better to make gradual changes like 0.2 cm after monitoring every change for a couple of weeks to see whether it's actually helping or hurting.

If you have any questions just fire away, we're here to help!

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jim - Welcome

Since you have the S9 Elite, you have a data-capable CPAP machine. You can download the free ResScan or SleepyHead software and tell a lot more about what's going on with your therapy.

Go to our Private Files & Links Forum for info on how to download the software packages for free.

After you read about and install the software, you can interpret the results by using this guide:

http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

Full face masks are notorious for leaks, which will decrease therapy effectiveness. Nasal masks or pillows systems are better if you can use them.

In order to set the best CPAP pressure, see this page:

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...re-on-cpap

You can also request the Clinician Setup Manual for your machine here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Remember, it will take time, and make small changes, slowly. Ask questions here if you need help.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, looks like Ren and I were posting at the same time. Anyway, two heads are better than one. Grin
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2012, 06:27 PM)graphton Wrote: I just downloaded some software It looks like my problem is leaks? see attached photo!

I think everyone was replying at the same time! Too-funny

Which mask were you using during the sessions?

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2012, 06:34 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Ah, looks like Ren and I were posting at the same time. Anyway, two heads are better than one. Grin

Cool And we did it again!

Post Reply Post Reply
I was using the nasal mask, my full face came today.

How do I upload the report data?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2012, 06:27 PM)graphton Wrote: I just downloaded some software It looks like my problem is leaks?

the machine cannot detect events accurately when leaks goes above the red line for prolong period of time
it looks leak is an issue but cannot tell without seeing the graphs
your compliance usage is excellent ... are you sleeping right thru

before bumping any pressure ... pay attention to mask fitting
washing mask every day and wash face before bed does help
some use mask liner ... pad a cheek or Remzzz
full face masks are the hardest but your pressure at 10 is not too high
a chinstrap may help keeping mouth closed with nasal mask

are you using mask fit feature to fit the mask
it doesn't help fitting the mask at ramp or lower start pressure

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,473 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Diagnosis] Help with Snoring Sleepster 14 1,000 11-19-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Snoring ,treating hyponeas and flow limits Bluesv6 3 531 09-30-2023, 07:16 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.