Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure and leaks, changing pressure
Pressure and leaks, changing pressure
I've been using a CPAP since 2010, I had an old respironics and it worked great. Recently got upgraded to a resmed s9. I didn't check any clinician settings on the old respironics, but on the S9 it was so easy with your instructions, so I saw that my min pressure was 4 and my max pressure was 40. Now 40 seemed very high to me compared to what I saw of others here, ranging from 5-12 etc.

Reason I ask is I've been using the machine for 3 nights, and the first night I slept very well and it reported in the statistics on the machine itself that I had used it for 9.5 hours and the mask icon was green.

The next 2 nights I also slept around 8 hours, but the statistics said I had only used it for 1.4 hours and 1.1 hours. This made no sense to me considering I actually woke up 8-9 hours after I went to bed and I didn't wake up during the nght but I did feel tired and not well rested. The AHI was 0.9 and 1.5 or so on the two nights I didn't sleep as well, which made it a bit of a mystery to me. On both nights I got a red mask icon but I wasn't able to see the data from the SD card, which I am considering doing.

I'm curious if it's safe to set the max pressure to something lower, maybe it's mask leaks that's the problem? the mask already feels kind of loose or 'vulnerable' even at the start pressure, I can't even imagine how it is at 40. The guy who prepared this cpap wasn't involved with the docs I talked to at all, he said he got the settings off my journal in the computer, but they may be off.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure and leaks, changing pressure
(12-26-2013, 10:05 AM)sleepwellsir Wrote: I've been using a CPAP since 2010, I had an old respironics and it worked great. Recently got upgraded to a resmed s9. I didn't check any clinician settings on the old respironics, but on the S9 it was so easy with your instructions, so I saw that my min pressure was 4 and my max pressure was 40. Now 40 seemed very high to me compared to what I saw of others here, ranging from 5-12 etc.

Reason I ask is I've been using the machine for 3 nights, and the first night I slept very well and it reported in the statistics on the machine itself that I had used it for 9.5 hours and the mask icon was green.

The next 2 nights I also slept around 8 hours, but the statistics said I had only used it for 1.4 hours and 1.1 hours. This made no sense to me considering I actually woke up 8-9 hours after I went to bed and I didn't wake up during the nght but I did feel tired and not well rested. The AHI was 0.9 and 1.5 or so on the two nights I didn't sleep as well, which made it a bit of a mystery to me. On both nights I got a red mask icon but I wasn't able to see the data from the SD card, which I am considering doing.

I'm curious if it's safe to set the max pressure to something lower, maybe it's mask leaks that's the problem? the mask already feels kind of loose or 'vulnerable' even at the start pressure, I can't even imagine how it is at 40. The guy who prepared this cpap wasn't involved with the docs I talked to at all, he said he got the settings off my journal in the computer, but they may be off.

your machine won't go to a high pressure of 40 so something isn't right. The max pressure that an S9 auto set will go to is 20.

EDIT: I would suggest downloading ResScan and/or SleepyHead and look at your actual data. Where did you get the high pressure number of 40 from?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response. You're right, I went and checked again by holding the settings button and the wheel button for 3 seconds. Not sure how I read it as 40, but it is set to 20.

Do you know what the usage time means? Can mask leaks distort that span? I went to bed with, and woke up with, the mask in place, so I have no idea how it can read as 1.1 hours used.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going to second downloading SleepyHead and looking at your data. It is entirely possible that the high pressure is causing leaks and it sounds like you were set to a completely open range (4 is the lowest and 20 is the max). But it will help if you can look at the leak charts and see if an increase in pressure is correlated with the leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
after 12 noon, the machine will record your sleep time on the next day so that may be why you have time recorded as a little over 1 hour. Download the software (it is free) and look at your data and see what is going on. It will make it easier for us to help you. Also, did you take your mask off for a while and then put it back on? If you are using a FFM as your profile shows, they tend to leak more than other types of masks. Once you look at your data, let us know what you found out and we can try and help you more. Stick with it though because the repercussions of not being treated can be very serious!
Post Reply Post Reply
OK thanks a lot tim, and me50. I'll do that.

Edit: thanks me50! The noon thing would explain it, I didn't know that.

And yeah, I do not sleep without the mask ever. I feel terrible even sleeping a little without. I just need to get this new machine right, I used the older respironics always. It's a FFM, I'm going to try to tighten it more tonight
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2013, 10:58 AM)sleepwellsir Wrote: OK thanks a lot tim, and me50. I'll do that.

Edit: thanks me50! The noon thing would explain it, I didn't know that.

And yeah, I do not sleep without the mask ever. I feel terrible even sleeping a little without. I just need to get this new machine right, I used the older respironics always. It's a FFM, I'm going to try to tighten it more tonight

Did you have a titration study that determined your optimal pressure? That is helpful for us to know too so we can see why they gave you a wide open range on your pressure settings. If you don't have your sleep study report, ask for it and make sure they give you the full report, including all data points, tech notes, etc. Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2013, 10:05 AM)sleepwellsir Wrote: I've been using a CPAP since 2010, I had an old respironics and it worked great. Recently got upgraded to a resmed s9. I didn't check any clinician settings on the old respironics, but on the S9 it was so easy with your instructions,
You can also get the instruction of the old Respironcis machine, so you can set the S9 exactly the same

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepwellsir,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

Hehe, this change of day at noon is confusing a looot of people Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,096 Today, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 12 250 Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 69 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 115 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 108 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 149 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 442 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.