Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure builds up to high
Pressure builds up to high
Hi
I have a Respironics auto CPAP machine I believe it is the current model.

I am having an issue with it that builds up pressure when I am sleeping and does not reduce it at all and the problem is it keep waking me up.

This also happened with my m series Respironics CPAP machine. My base pressure is 7.0 and when I wake up it is anywhere from 10.0 to 13.0. I thought it increased pressure if I was having a apnea episode and then it was supposed to lower the pressure by its self. I lye there and watch it and wait to see if it will drop in pressure finally I have to hit the ramp button but it will gain pressure again sooner or later.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure builds up to high
That is why we have auto machines- to provide the pressure we need. Evidently you need a pressure of 10-13. They are pretty moderate pressures and you should become accustomed to them before long. Hitting the ramp is counterproductive as your apneas are not being treated efficiently during ramp. Good Luck, John.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2012, 03:53 AM)johndi Wrote: I have a Respironics auto CPAP machine I believe it is the current model.

Please fill in your profile with the model name. That'll help us figure things out. If your machine is data-capable you can look at what's going on and try to figure out why the pressure stays at the high end.

It's also advisable that you discuss this issue with your doctor. It could be that you need a pressure this high to prevent obstructive apneas, or it could be that the machine's algorithm causes it to "run away" on you and raise the pressure when it doesn't need to.

Do you have simple OSA or a more complicated form of SDB?

Quote:I thought it increased pressure if I was having a apnea episode and then it was supposed to lower the pressure by its self.

But if, while it's lowering the pressure, you have another apnea or hypopnea, it will raise it back up again.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. I cannot find where to edit my information but it is a Philips Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex with a heated humidifier and it is date capable.

I have not tried to look at the information on the memory card do I need a program so I can see the information?

I have simple OSA

That is the expression I was looking for "run away". I am not sure if it raised to stop an apnea episode and does not lower the pressure after or just goes up on its own. My doctor does not know and swapped out the M series I had which I guess is a good thing.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
John
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2012, 12:24 PM)johndi Wrote: I have not tried to look at the information on the memory card do I need a program so I can see the information?

You can download and install the free SleepyHead software. Look on the bottom of your machine. The model number should be 550P. If you have the newer model 560P it's not yet supported by SleepyHead so you'll have to go with the commercial Encore software.

Once you look at the data you can see what percentage of time you're spending at the high end of your pressure range.

Can you look at the machine's on-screen display and tell us the AHI, percent time in large leaks, and percent time in periodic breathing?

To edit your profile go to User CP, there's a link at the top of the page.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Thanks for getting back to me. I cannot find where to edit my information but it is a Philips Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex with a heated humidifier and it is date capable.

The how-to on updating information is found here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...trol-Panel
What you are specifically looking for is in the second post.

When you are awake, your breathing pattern is different than when you are asleep and the machine may not lower because it will think you are having an apnea event.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had an M series when I was first diagnosed, as a loaner. It absolutely does reduce pressure when you no longer need it. In fact, it was this very fact that made me absolutely refuse a fixed CPAP when they came up with my "final* titration. The pressure they wanted to fix me at was a) lower then the 95% average on the m-series and b) was more then I could tolerate *all* night. I could tolerate it and more, for the times I needed it, and the machines ability to reduce pressure as I started to waken from it actually helped me stay asleep.

One thing - the machine performs differently when you're awake, so that might explain it seeming that it won't back off the pressure.

All that said, if your titration said you need 7, and the machine says 10 to 13... and that's over 2 machines... I'd tend to go with the wealth of data (the machines) over one data point (your titration study.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi
Thanks for everyone's input.

The information I have found is:

AHI. 7 days. 7.1, 39 days. 5.1
Large leaks 0 recorded
Periodic breathing 0 recorded.

Why would it think its an apnea episode if I am lying there breathing steady?

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2012, 12:43 AM)johndi Wrote: AHI. 7 days. 7.1, 39 days. 5.1
Large leaks 0 recorded
Periodic breathing 0 recorded.

The AHI is a little high, nothing to be overly concerned about, but you do have enough data to be able to tell the doctor that he needs to consider making an adjustment to your pressure. Without more information, I can't tell what's going on. Need to know how much of the time you're at the high end of your pressure range, and what the components are of your AHI.

Quote:Why would it think its an apnea episode if I am lying there breathing steady?

It shouldn't. But, when we look at our Flow Rate graphs we can see that when we're awake we don't breathe anywhere near as steady as we do when we're asleep.

Did you ever look to see if you have the 550P or the 560P?
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.