Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure equalization
Pressure equalization
When I put my mask on I can feel the air rush in and a slight resistance when I breath out. Many times when I wake up I fell like the machine not working because that feeling of air rushing in and the restriction breathing out is gone. When I pull the mask away from my face air is rushing out so I know the machine is working. What is causing this? I use a Resmes S9 with a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure equalization
It is slightly more difficult to breathe out against the pressure. You may find some relief by setting Pressure Support.
It lowers the exhalation pressure a few cm-H2o during exhalation.

BTW -- In infer your humidifier is an H5i, your machine is an S9 Autoset?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi imbracer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Edit: Are you using EPR (Exhale Pressure Relief,) on your machine? That might help you to breathe against the pressure easier, End edit.
Hang in there for answers to your question and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, Hi and autoset
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2014, 10:22 AM)imbracer Wrote: When I put my mask on I can feel the air rush in and a slight resistance when I breath out. Many times when I wake up I fell like the machine not working because that feeling of air rushing in and the restriction breathing out is gone. [...] What is causing this?

That is the wonderful capability of the human body and mind to adapt!

We get used to the continuous pressure and it becomes the new normal.

This is why newbies need to be encouraged to persevere. The things that bother us about CPAP therapy are transient. We soon get used to them and are no longer aware of them. CPAP therapy becomes the new normal for us.

Personally, I feel like the CPAP mask and machine are parts of my body that the good Lord forgot to attach.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, imbracer.

I think Sleepster is right. I also think that in sleep our body relaxes and our subconcious mind takes over. When that happens we sync up better with the machine and the whole thing becomes effortless. When I go to bed, I can feel the incoming air and the switches from IPAP to EPAP. In the morning when I wake up, it feels like the machine is off. It is like when you turn your CPAP off with your mask still on after using it all night. When the machine shuts off it feels extremely difficult to take a breath. The main reason it feels so difficult is because it has been so easy when the machine was applying pressure.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. It's called "getting used to it". The next stage will be finding that your ramp (if you use it when first going to bed) feels like you are not getting enough air, so you increase the minimum ramp pressure. Then you simply stop using the ramp altogether. And eventually, you simply put on the mask and turn on the machine with little if any notice.

If I recall my initial few months, right around now you might be getting a backache right between your shoulder blades when you wake up. This is also normal, and is essentially "muscle ache" as your lungs are exercising against the increased pressure. It will eventually go away, although it did take a month or two for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,643 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,351 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,356 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,647 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.