Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure experiment
I thought I’d follow up on my original post with more information about how my autoset machine titrates my pressure in a way that is probably not correct for me (possibly due to my clear airway events which for me are worse with pressure changes). I was titrated to a pressure of 10 in the sleep lab by manual titration, it was found that lower pressures did not resolve my obstructive events. A prescription was written for a pressure of 10 in CPAP mode.

Once I was setup with my machine I changed it from a set CPAP pressure of 10 to the auto mode with a pressure range from 8-12 which I thought would confirm my prescribed pressure. What happened is that my pressure increased to 12; over time I increased my higher setting to 13. My pressure increased to near 13 but I noticed that my AHI’s were no better than when I was set to a straight pressure of 10. I then put my machine back in CPAP mode with a pressure of 10 and remained at that pressure until I decided one night to drop it to 9. That was an evening where I just didn’t feel like wearing my mask and rather than not wear it decided just to try the lower pressure. That was back in November. Two nights ago, I turned my pressure down again from 9 to 8. It turns out that MY AHI was great at 8.

[attachment=3079]

Because I thought it would be interesting for some folks on Apnea Board and as an experiment, last night I set my machine in auto mode with a pressure range of 8 to 12.

[attachment=3080]

My AHI was really good last night which surprised me because my past experience on an auto setting was usually an AHI of around 3 with the highest pressures delivered. Anyway, my results from last night were very good with a lower AHI then my fixed pressure of 8 but I'm setting my machine back to 8 because I prefer the lower pressure and usually my AHI is higher with the pressure range.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dagmar, if your events have always consisted of CA like this, it is not surprising that variable pressure is not a good thing for you. It actually surprises me you tolerate EPR as well as you apparently do. Lots of mouth leaks going on. Congrats on working towards a better solution for yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider for pointing out the mouth leaks. I'm too complacent about the chin strap and need to try the pad-a-cheek covers for my ruby style strap. I don't like strap marks on my face in the morning but will tighten it down a little more.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto to manual BPM experiment tmoody 16 468 8 hours ago
Last Post: tmoody
  [Equipment] Viscious cycle of increased pressure -> more leak -> response of more pressure 3mp0w3r 5 253 09-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Checking In, and a BPM experiment tmoody 10 346 08-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Last Post: tmoody
  [Pressure] What is the theoritical correct pressure for a fixed pressure CPAP? Rcgop 13 938 05-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Last Post: ajack
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 2,481 11-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  New Chin Strap experiment tonight FrankNichols 4 788 09-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  Lower max pressure affecting pressure increases Rcgop 9 1,184 07-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Last Post: green wings