Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure from S9 Autoset when wide awake
RE: Pressure from S9 Autoset when wide awake
You can use your CPAP before noon for the hour to get used to it. Anything before 12 noon will be considered data from the previous night. If you see something that says Attachment 591 but cannot see the actual attachment, chances are the OP removed it (maybe because they didn't want to use up their quota or use up space for attachments no longer needed). I am sure others will have better suggestions for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a question about a section of "robysue's" post, and I am copy/pasting it in since her post was some time ago.

The first post is the following [boldface mine]:

And the Auto algorithm is based on what normal sleep breathing is supposed to look like. Normal sleep breathing is much more regular than normal wake breathing is in terms of both respiratory rate and in the depths of the inhalations and exhalations. When we're awake, it's the conscious part of our nervous system that controls our wake breathing. And we do all kinds of things that affect our wake breathing without really thinking about them, but it's still controlled by the conscious part of the nervous system when we're awake. We take an extra deep breath now and then that may have a prolonged exhalation. We sigh. We momentarily hold our breath when we're concentrating on something (and we may not even be aware of this.) We clear our throats. We "sniff" more vigorously through a slightly stuffed up nostril. We take a series of deep, full breaths (think relaxing yoga breaths) and then naturally return to a more shallow breathing pattern.

For many years I studied Yoga breathing and use mantras to trigger a breathing pattern where inhalations are very deep, very slow and exhalations are slow and prolonged. When I was first put on the CPAP device after an hour or so into my sleep study last week, and i had difficulty getting back to sleep, I automatically used this breathing pattern, and when I involuntarily yawned, I got this huge pressure change in the nasal mask the technician had me wear.

From reading the most insightful and expert posts in this thread, I have a much better understanding of why I had so much trouble getting back into a restful sleep for the next five hours of my sleep study, which I terminated an hour early when the tech said he had enough data for the study.

I would like to try the ResMed Swift FX Nasal Pillow, first since it is not as bulky when the side of my head hits the pillow, but my first question is "would I have to eliminate my usual Yoga breathing to relax in order to get back to sleep?" If anyone cares to elaborate on why they say "yes," or "no," please do (more info the better).

My other thought has been to try a full face mask so I could yawn or sigh, but I alternately sleep on my left and right sides, left more than right. In been looking at YouTube videos of most ResMed Masks, and I don't see any FF masks that won't interfere with where my cheek bones hit the Tempura Pedic pillow I use. I know there are special CPAP pillows one can purchase, but I'd like to start out with a Nasal Pillow then go to the FF mask if I have to.

In addition, I usually wake up around 4-8 times per night even with a drowsy antihistamine medicine (taken for many years and won't get my S9 AutoSelect [1st CPAP device] until next week). Since I have osteoarthritis and a bad back, I used these awakenings to switch positions to keep the stiffness down in just one body part. It may be that decreasing the apneas/hypopneas will be more important that waking up to just change positions.

So, does anyone have any suggestions about 1) dumping the Yoga breathing, yawning, sighing, 2) shooting for the fewest awakenings during the night, screw the morning stiffness 3) sequence of trying nasal pillow and full face mask (my DME will allow one mask change free of charge). 4) Anything else?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all of you excellent people.
I am just amazed at the level of knowledge and help you have all offered to me in my hour of need. I thought I would hold off replying until today when I might be less tired, but guess what: I had another bad night, so I am just as tired once again. However here goes with some answers to all of your suggestion/contributions. First what causes me to wake as I suspect it is not wholly the bathroom visit: perhaps I haven't yet got the right mask as I have to really tighten the straps to stop the leaks and manage to go to sleep only out of shear exhaustion. Maybe when I am somewhat recovered my brain starts complaining about the mask hurting and that makes me start moving about which helps to wake me up and I then feel the straps hurting as well as the bathroom need which is not always very pressing. Answer, keep trying more masks maybe. Any suggestions here please? I don't snore and don't sleep with my mouth open so I don't really need a full face mask, but having tried about 8 masks (all from respironics and resmed each kindly provided free by the NHS) I can't find a Nasal mask which holds out the air pressure and is also comfortable enough to sleep with. But I have to say it is just suck it and see and the manufacturers' info is pretty creative rather than reliable. Moving on to how to get back to sleep after the bathroom break, I have always had problems with this over many years but not as bad as it is now. I think I just lay there worrying about my current problems - at the moment sleep apnea. But to be honest I don't think I am particularly restless as I am usually content to just lie there and wait to fall asleep - the problem is that the S9 just seems to attack me unprovoked with more and more air!! I have tried reading from my IPAD whilst lying awake but I need to wear glasses so that causes problems with most masks. I have also tried varying the ramp from off to 20 minutes but what you need when you are first going to sleep isn't necessarilly what you need in the middle of the night!!! So here is my master plan then :-
1. Set the ramp at 20 minutes to go to sleep and if/when I get up in the night reset it to 40 minutes to give me more time to get back to sleep before being attacked by the S9.
2. Bring down the top pressure limit to 12 (or maybe 13) but leave the bottom limit at 7. This should constrain the beast a bit I HOPE and is a step towards setting it to work as a CPAP. I am a bit nervous about this as I found a Respironics System One CPAP did not give very good results set at these sort of figures which was why I changed to the S9 (after having had a trial run on an ancient ResMed Spirit APAP provided by the hospital as a test). Anyway I would would welcome more input on this please.
3. I think I need to find a better fitting mask. Any suggestions please?
4. Everybody seems agreed that I need better information by using from down loaded software but I am a little nervous because of the possibility of downloading mal-ware at the same time. I assume they are pretty safe or you wouldn't all be suggesting it. Any further comments please?

I will post some further info on progress with the plan (if I live through it OK).

Once again my deepest thanks for all of your helpful advice and encouragement which has been really welcome.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2013, 10:45 AM)me50 Wrote: You can use your CPAP before noon for the hour to get used to it. Anything before 12 noon will be considered data from the previous night. If you see something that says Attachment 591 but cannot see the actual attachment, chances are the OP removed it (maybe because they didn't want to use up their quota or use up space for attachments no longer needed). I am sure others will have better suggestions for you.

To clarify your 12 noon suggestion, are you saying that the data for one hour before 12 p.m. will 1) not be recorded in the AHI, leaks, etc. data or that 2) it can be easily seen by the time of day and just not considered by myself, doc, respiratory therapist, etc.?

If so, I would assume that one would then just not pay as much attention to the days, weeks, months summary stats when you're wearing the CPAP during the day. Is that your idea of the best way to do it?Cleaver
Post Reply Post Reply
Brian, follow the link ZONK gave you, download and install the software. When you remove your SD data card be sure to click the little lock button on the side to the LOCKED position. This will keep your data safe.

Since you are having problems getting a mask that suits you I am going to assume that you have some leaking....we all do. BUT there is a delicate balance between comfort and leaks. I was over tightening big time in the beginning to get rid of leaks. Well then I was uncomfortable. Just thinking too much will keep us all awake. My nasal pillows now are much looser. I get a bit of leaking but I am comfortable enough to sleep the night through.

The data will help more experienced users to guide you. Some trial and error is necessary. DO NOT worry about viruses following the download link from this forum.

By the way, Sleepyhead or Rescan will most likely ask you if you want to save changes when exit. It's ok to say yes. It's only saving changes in your computer. Do not remove data card while your software is still open. Exit first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brian Rule, I'm sorry to hear you had such bad sleep last night. Hang in there.

Copy/Pasted quote from Brian rule at 11:58 a.m. on 11/14/13:

4. Everybody seems agreed that I need better information by using from down loaded software but I am a little nervous because of the possibility of downloading mal-ware at the same time. I assume they are pretty safe or you wouldn't all be suggesting it. Any further comments please?

For malware, I use Webroot's "Secure Anywhere," which is certainly more than what you need, but if you're in the market for something to take care of all your security needs, this is one of the best; however, it requires a yearly subscription fee and includes cloud functionality.

However, for just your concern about downloading ResScan, I would think its safe.

To further decrease your worries, for free, I would recommend downloading Malwarebytes which you can google, but here's the link (I don't know if the Forum will allow links, but here goes) http://www.malwarebytes.org/.

A couple of hints, for free you get immediate updates, and you can do a full scan of your computer for free (to get real-time coverage, you have to pay). I have never paid since my Webroot program does active prevention of malware.

Malwarebytes is a really good malware program, since my computer geek uses it as one of three malware programs when he charges me to remove malware and viruses I think I might have. I know that I use it to pick up malware that the well-regarded Secure Anywhere from Webroot has missed.

A second hint. doing a Full Scan of my computer takes at least 2 hours; so, I just do it at night, no problem.

A final hint, when you first download the Malwarebytes, it will ask you (it may automatically, I forget) to "update" the program, which you will. It will update the program and/or malware definitions, which is pretty quick in comparison to doing a full computer scan.

When the program finds malware, it will take care of it; so, don't worry about googling the listed malware since you'll get some pretty complicated manual ways to get rid of it, which is much more difficult and risky than just using Malwarebytes to fix things. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2013, 09:44 AM)drmick3 Wrote: I want to keep my data in ResScan as clean as possible, but I also want to get used to CPAP during the time I'm awake. Is there a way to prevent the awake data from being recorded with the legitimate nighttime data when I'm asleep?

Can you or anyone else suggest the best way to go about this? For example, I suppose I could just remove the SD card, but then I would be losing compliance data, which I would be willing to do if that was the only way.
If the compliance is for insurance purposes than using the machine during the day will add to your compliance usage which is not a bad thing.
CPAP day (24 hours period) start from noon to noon the following day

Compliance data is stored on the machine with or without the card, whenever you stick the card in the machine, the machine write compliance data on the card but if you remove the card before using the machine (which is not recommended) you loose detailed data with graph as detailed data written directly on the card and not stored on the machine

I've been using SleepyHead for few days and like it better than Resscan, try both, Resscan for legal/medico matters
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2013, 11:58 AM)Brian Rule Wrote: 4. Everybody seems agreed that I need better information by using from down loaded software but I am a little nervous because of the possibility of downloading mal-ware at the same time. I assume they are pretty safe or you wouldn't all be suggesting it. Any further comments please?
Its safe, I have download both Resscan and SleepyHead from this board and had no problem. The security on your computer would warn you of any risk. Try both, I started using SleepyHead recently and like it better than Resscan. Resscan does not work with Mac computers
I,m not computer savvy more like Luddite, seriously if I can do it, anyone can

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2013, 01:54 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-14-2013, 09:44 AM)drmick3 Wrote: I want to keep my data in ResScan as clean as possible, but I also want to get used to CPAP during the time I'm awake. Is there a way to prevent the awake data from being recorded with the legitimate nighttime data when I'm asleep?

Can you or anyone else suggest the best way to go about this? For example, I suppose I could just remove the SD card, but then I would be losing compliance data, which I would be willing to do if that was the only way.
If the compliance is for insurance purposes than using the machine during the day will add to your compliance usage which is not a bad thing.
CPAP day (24 hours period) start from noon to noon the following day

Compliance data is stored on the machine with or without the card, whenever you stick the card in the machine, the machine write compliance data on the card but if you remove the card before using the machine (which is not recommended) you loose detailed data with graph as detailed data written directly on the card and not stored on the machine

I've been using SleepyHead for few days and like it better than Resscan, try both, Resscan for legal/medico matters

To clarify my understanding of what you posted above, let me give you a plan, and you tell me if it would work and if not, what problems are associated with it.

Again, my goal is to get in as much awake practice time to help me adjust to the CPAP process while not contaminating accurate sleeping AHI, pressures, flows, etc. with screwy awake readings, say for, daily, weekly, monthly summaries..

This plan assumes that there is nothing in the data while I'm awake that will help me during a one-hour, waking practice session. If there is anything that needs to be checked, such as leaks via ResScan (that I couldn't get anywhere else--such as from just the machine without the card), I assume i'd 'have to dump the below plan and just live with it.

1) I set up the machine with the card in it and use an installment CD or download ResScan.

2) I take the card out the first day while I'm awake.

3) I put the mask on and turn on the AutoSelect for an hour for practice.

4) I turn the machine off.

5) I put the SD card back in.

6) When I go to sleep, I turn the machine back on.

7) I get up in the morning and turn the device off.

8) At some time later, I turn the machine back on and check my data in ResScan from the night before.

9) I switch the machine off.

10) At some later time, during daylight, I take the SD card out and practice while awake for a second day of one-hour practice.

11) I turn the machine off and put the SD card back in.

12) That night I turn the machine back on, get in bed, and go to sleep.

13) I get up the second day and check ResScan's data.

Given the above plan, would I have 1) two nights of clean data from just the two night's of sleeping 2) would I have compliance data that not only logged 2 nights of sleep,l but also two hours of 1-hour practice times over the two day period?Oh-jeez

Any other suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
Any usage of your machine, with our without the card, will be saved in the machine. All that taking the SD card out before you use it during the day to get used to the mask, etc., means is the data won't be stored on the SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 671 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 718 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,629 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Mask fit issues - wide mouth michael7 3 565 12-09-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: michael7
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] High pressure at midnight causing awake makazaik 5 667 08-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: jwest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.