Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure from S9 Autoset when wide awake
RE: Pressure from S9 Autoset when wide awake
(12-14-2013, 03:35 PM)me50 Wrote: Any usage of your machine, with our without the card, will be saved in the machine. All that taking the SD card out before you use it during the day to get used to the mask, etc., means is the data won't be stored on the SD card.

Thanks
So, does that mean my plan to eliminate the waking sleep data, keeping it out of the ResScan summary data for sleeping will work as I listed it, step-by-step? From what you said above, it seems that it would, but I don't want to screw up the AutoSelect or ResScan!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know how your medical provider will review your data for compliance. If they use a modem to get the information, then all usage will be available to them, even during your practice time. One hour each day will only add to your compliance so really it doesn't matter one way or the other. I would imagine that you use your machine for 4 hours during the night while sleeping, correct? As long as you use your machine a minimum of 4 hours most of the time during compliance period, the period you are practicing is icing on the cake so to speak. I would hope that you are able to use the machine more than 4 hours per night and hopefully, over time, your issues will subside, if you have any issues. If you don't have issues while sleeping, the rest is a moot point and if you do have issues, you have come to the right place for help with them. It takes some adjustment and some adjust immediately and others take a while. Would be interesting to know what masks you have plans on trying. Are you a mouth breather? What mask did you use during the sleep study? It is great to be proactive and plan, but, sometimes we can plan to much, give ourselves a headache, cause undo anxiety, etc. The best for you to start, is like Zonk said, try to get a good mask and sleep with your machine all the time! Then, if some issues arise, come here to get advice. That really is the best plan that does not cause anxiety before things happen. Who knows, you may take to CPAP therapy immediately and have no major issues!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Data is important but I would say that mask is most important at this stage of treatment
Finding the right mask that is comfortable with less fuss and leaks is essential for effective treatment

Tips for new CPAP users http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2013, 04:03 PM)me50 Wrote: I don't know how your medical provider will review your data for compliance. If they use a modem to get the information, then all usage will be available to them, even during your practice time. One hour each day will only add to your compliance so really it doesn't matter one way or the other. I would imagine that you use your machine for 4 hours during the night while sleeping, correct? As long as you use your machine a minimum of 4 hours most of the time during compliance period, the period you are practicing is icing on the cake so to speak. I would hope that you are able to use the machine more than 4 hours per night and hopefully, over time, your issues will subside, if you have any issues. If you don't have issues while sleeping, the rest is a moot point and if you do have issues, you have come to the right place for help with them. It takes some adjustment and some adjust immediately and others take a while. Would be interesting to know what masks you have plans on trying. Are you a mouth breather? What mask did you use during the sleep study? It is great to be proactive and plan, but, sometimes we can plan to much, give ourselves a headache, cause undo anxiety, etc. The best for you to start, is like Zonk said, try to get a good mask and sleep with your machine all the time! Then, if some issues arise, come here to get advice. That really is the best plan that does not cause anxiety before things happen. Who knows, you may take to CPAP therapy immediately and have no major issues!!

Thanks
My plan is to go with the ResMed Swift FX or LT Nasal Pillow since that gives me the best option for sleeping on both sides with my Tempur Pedic pillow; however, if that doesn't work I'll go with the full face masks.

My DME says I can switch once without paying extra. I used some kind of Nasal Mask in my sleep study and was so startled when I yawned while trying to get back to sleep with the huge pressure change I didn't get good sleep for five hours after that.

Also, it seemed that the exhalation pressure was difficult to get past. So, that's why I'm being meticulous in my preparation, although I agree that one can become so focused on difficulties that in itself becomes a hindrance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Preparation is a good thing but don't worry about the little things like doing all that extra work with the SD card, etc. because the data will still be in your machine and the 1 hour per day is not likely to skew things and is really no different than getting ready to sleep for the night, hooking up your machine and it taking an hour to fall asleep again. What your plan is that you posted above is way too much work in my opinion. Oh, check your machine BEFORE you leave the DME and look next to the start button and make sure it says auto set and definitely does NOT say ESCAPE!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2013, 06:57 PM)me50 Wrote: Oh, check your machine BEFORE you leave the DME and look next to the start button and make sure it says auto set and definitely does NOT say ESCAPE!
Or Escape Auto

Post Reply Post Reply
Just a few thoughts for you drmick 3?

I think you are stressing the data a bit much. Most people look at the various graphs to get detailed data, and all of those graphs show a timeline, so it is very easy to pick out 'naps' or 'practice' sessions.

Also, you will only be practicing for a day or two, perhaps a week at the most - and trust me, you will have so much goofy data the first couple of weeks it just ain't funny - (sample: do you yet know how to sneeze with your mask on? Or, cough? Ever think what either event would do to skew the data? - how bout mask on, falling asleep, and your bed-partner asks you a question, so you just try to reply with the mask on, they don't understand you, so you reply again, but this time more carefully and louder - see my points?)

Keep a 'sleep diary' if you're concerned. Each time you put on the mask starts a new session in the diary, after waking, you complete the session with start and end time, how fast or slow you felt you fell asleep, passage of time felt or not, dreams remembered or not, any interruptions (bio breaks, etc), and a short one sentence overview of that sleep period. - You could add 'awake-test session' if you like. Then, turn in the sleep diary to the Doc if desired, or asked for.

IMO a mask to consider is the "Wisp" - I am a side sleeper and I really like the Wisp. Even though it's a nasal mask (not nose pillows) you can read or wear glasses with it as well.

I know in the beginning it's all new, and there's a real learning curve, and a lot to get used to. After more than a dozen years on my machine, rarely does anything bug me or cause issues with my sleep. Recently I have started doing more and more 'mouth breathing' - so I went back to basics and talked to myself each night as I was falling asleep - to remind myself to not breathe through my mouth, it is harmful for me to do that, etc, etc - and my leak numbers have steadily started to get much better - the point being that you *can* brain-wash yourself, and sometimes this is a good thing to do. Start the positive thinking bout your new machine now, get excited, look forward to getting it, and so on...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Again and thanks once more for the further advice,
As planned I set the top pressure at 12.6 and the ramp at 30 minutes before going to sleep wearing a Wisp mask (which I has used before but had problems with the high pressures from the S9). Hey presto this time I slept through the night without a bathroom break or other necessary interruption; I did wake a couple of times but got back to sleep almost immediately. FIRST GOOD NIGHT AFTER 2 MONTHS OF TRYING SO THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE. In the morning I was pretty woozy and a bit wobbly on my feet: this passed of after an hour or so. I also had a nagging chest pain which I put down to having swallowed too much air. Both of these effects I has experienced when using the Wisp mask previously with a Respironics CPAP (but I hadn't had them with the Quattro Air full face mask used with the S9 the previous night) so maybe it is related to the Wisp mask. IS THIS LIKELY AND IF SO WILL I GET USED TO IT OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT IT? The other problem with the Wisp mask is that it emits a jet of air from the mask vent on the nose elbow and this is directly directed at my wife who (whilst lovely and long suffering) is not exactly pleased with. Not sure how I can improve the air jet problem if at all. Any ideas on a mask with the same qualities as the Wisp but differently located vent holes please? I have tried the Resmed Nano but and found it good but the particular headgear seemed at odds with the shape of my head and I couldn't get it tight enough to withstand the higher air pressures! Maybe I should try it again. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ALTERNATIVES PLEASE.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried putting the wisp hose through the headgear so it goes over your head? Then you could attach part of the hose/tubing on a hook on the wall and the vents wouldn't face toward your wife. I wonder if using a chin strap would help alleviate you swallowing air. Just a few thoughts. Hopefully others will have more suggestions.

For me, I tried the Quattro fx, Amara Gel and Mirage Liberty before trying the wisp. I don't get along with Resmed headgear. So far, I am doing well with the wisp and a chin strap, much better than I thought I would. It is nice not to have all that stuff on my face. Now, all I have on my face is the chin strap which isn't bothersome b/c it is made of some kind of material that isn't like having all that not as soft headgear of the Mirage Liberty and the Amara Gel on my face) and the head gear and nasal mask. The head gear is made of silicone and since it is on top of the chin strap, I don't feel the silicone on my face. Masks are so individual that what works for some won't work for others. A lot really like Resmed masks and their head gear but I didn't like it and how the Velcro would just pop off during the night and disturb my already fragmented sleep. The only time I can remember sleeping for 4 or more hours without actually waking up and having to get out of bed is last week when I had my 3rd sleep study. Of course, the fragmented sleep and waking up without being able to fall right back to sleep started again the night after that sleep study so it is leaving me sleepy/tired/lack of energy during the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brian - The down-side of the Wisp is the air-vents, and I know of no way to change how it acts. My one complaint about the Wisp is my nose (not really big either) tip touches the end of the mask and it bugs me. But (for me) it's got the best seal of any nasal mask I have ever tried. FYI - while I am on a 'bi-level' machine, when inhaling my pressure bounces between 13 and 15.5 - a bit on the high side. and zero farts/burps, etc.

There are so many different masks available, and every single person is made differently. What I love, may be the worst mask you ever use. Most folks dislike FF masks, yet some folks swear they are the only type to use.

Some love 'gel', some love 'silicon' - there is no logic to it. The reality is that one night is not a good way to judge at all. What if you happened to be very tired last night, you might have slept well with most anything? Most folks may find in one night that a mask won't work for them at all (too many leaks etc), but most folks can't be sure one way or the other til they've used the mask for one to two weeks or longer. Your body just doesn't like change. So you have to convince yourself that in this case change is good, and given enough time, and effort, you will love the changes~!

FYI - it really does not matter which brand mask is used with which brand machine. Like most of us, you will in time decide that you like brand XX more than brand XY - even if others think that brand XY is great. And that's OK. Personally, I do not even pay attention to brands - off the top of my head I can't even say who makes the Wisp (or my standby the 'Flexi-fit').

Sadly, most folks go through many masks, 5-15 before they decide which they like best. Some they can toss after 20 minutes or less, some after 3-5 nights, and I've even tossed one but it took three weeks of loving it to find a deal-breaker issue.

As my wife and I are both on 'dream machines' - we've learned to deal with blowing air...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 111 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 673 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 718 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Mask fit issues - wide mouth michael7 3 568 12-09-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: michael7
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] High pressure at midnight causing awake makazaik 5 670 08-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: jwest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.