Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure gauge accuracy?
Pressure gauge accuracy?
I purchased a cpap manometer to check my machine while it is new just because I like to tinker with things. (small round plastic piece with floating ball)

I tried it on my machine and it read lower than the pressure was set to on the machine.

Is it suppose to be super accurate or just used as a guide to monitor long term performance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure gauge accuracy?
I bought a digital manometer from Amazon. It's in inches-H2O -- but, conversion to cm-H2O is just a factor of 2.54 cm/inch.
I used it to check my ResMed VPAP-S. On the lower (exhilation) pressure, it's dead on.
I cannot get a good reading on inhilation pressure as the meter does not slew quickly enough to follow the pressure curve.

I would suggest that that a floating ball in plastic is an approximate device.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
peels,

Plastic thing with a floating ball? Sounds like a flow meter to me. This would measure the air flow through the hose. If it says something like lpm on the side (liters per minute), it definetly is. If it's a piston/spring type manometer, you're right, it is about as accurate as measuring your battery electrolyte specific gravity with the 99 cent glass tube with colored beads from the auto parts place.

You can find several posts on this forum on how to build a manometer (pressure, or more precisely, differential pressure) from some cheap plastic tubing, likely less than $5. Ignoring the incredibly small variations that you likely don't have access to pure water and probably don't want to do the temperature compensation calcuations, it will be spot on to check the pressures. It can't be wrong, it's what metrologists call a primary standard.

Have fun with it. As long as we're tied to this therapy we might as well entertain ourselves.
Post Reply Post Reply
I could have gone all geeky and made a water manometer but i just wanted to get a baseline and check it once in awhile to make sure the machine isn't going off or leaks in the hose etc.

I'll mark my setting as reference.

I wish I had it a few days ago when I traded my noisy machine for a quieter one. The comparison would have been nice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just get some tygon hose ,colored water,mm/cm ruler and you have an accurate meter. Had to do this to set propane regulator on a gas ceramic kiln --not a big deal . Neat to know how to do it . Cheap too.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you think about it, you can use a homemade u-tube manometer as a pressure source to test a manometer. Or hook up a hose to the manometer, and stick the end into a glass of water, and measure the depth of the air column.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,646 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Question about OSCAR accuracy during high leak periods raptosnorus 13 922 06-26-2023, 12:55 PM
Last Post: raptosnorus
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 647 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,558 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Accuracy of the o2ring compared to checkme Zackio 22 4,844 08-08-2022, 05:53 PM
Last Post: goku
  Accuracy of REsmed MyAir hegel 8 3,683 07-08-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.