Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure increases for no reason?
Pressure increases for no reason?
Hello all. New to the sleep apnea world. Why is it sometimes my pressure on my mask goes up while I'm asleep, yet I'm having no apneas? Here are some pictures from sleepyhead. You can see my pressure ramps up to 8 as I use a 25 minute ramp, and I fall asleep some where in between, but then it suddenly starts going up even though theres no apnea events detected. Any idea why this machine would just raise the pressure for no reason? At the end there, I finally get woken up by the pressure, or get woken up by something feeling ill. Not sure why my machine decided to go from 8 pressure to 11 for no reason.

http://www.imgur.com/a/jre7h
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure increases for no reason?
(03-11-2018, 06:43 AM)xeno Wrote: Hello all. New to the sleep apnea world. Why is it sometimes my pressure on my mask goes up while I'm asleep, yet I'm having no apneas? Here are some pictures from sleepyhead. You can see my pressure ramps up to 8 as I use a 25 minute ramp, and I fall asleep some where in between, but then it suddenly starts going up even though theres no apnea events detected. Any idea why this machine would just raise the pressure for no reason? At the end there, I finally get woken up by the pressure, or get woken up by something feeling ill. Not sure why my machine decided to go from 8 pressure to 11 for no reason.

imgur.com/a/jre7h

We need your "Details" left-hand sidebar, AND the Flow Limitations graph to get a better idea of whats going on. Please repost with those added.

In MY case, my pressure jacks itself up quickly due to Flow Limitations (even some fairly small ones), which can be clearly seen on that chart.

From top to bottom we need:

Event Flags
Flow Rate
Pressure
Leak Rate
Flow Limit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi zeno and Welcome to the forum.
The machine will also increase pressure in response to Flow Limitations and Snores.  Without seeing the events graph and the statistics on the left side bar, we are just guessing.

If you would use the attachment feature instead of imgur and use the links below in my Signature Line for instruction on arranging #SleepyHead graphs and posting here, then we can take a better look.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello and thank you for your replies. I went back to sleep, only to wake up to 15 pressure again for seemly no reason! I would appreciate any help into investigating this matter. I think I have arranged the graphs correctly this time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2018, 07:48 AM)xeno Wrote: Hello and thank you for your replies. I went back to sleep, only to wake up to 15 pressure again for seemly no reason! I would appreciate any help into investigating this matter. I think I have arranged the graphs correctly this time.

Ok, try one more time after clicking on the ^ next to Sun on the top left calendar. That will shrink the monthly calendar up, so we can see the detail stats below it. Also, move "Mask Pressure" graph down low enough so we don't even see it, which will cause the others to move up a bit.

Thanks!

P.S. See the squiggly line at 3:40am, and then later at about 4:35am of the "Flow Limit." graph just before your pressure increase? That's what right now appears to be driving up your pressures. That's considered a precursor to an apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are experiencing some Flow Limitation.  I don’t see the snore graph or snore information on the left side, which will also cause the pressure to rise.

Next time, elimate the calendar.

Question, you only showed us a two hour range. Is that all you slept?

You can try to lower the max setting to limit the machine from raising pressure.
Your pressure is too wide open anyway. I would suggest minimum 9 and maximum 12. Also, set ramp to start at 7 for a short period of time.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It might also help to have your history; sleep study results.  The machine will go up in pressure when it detects obstructions so you may have some issues that the machine is taking care of and you just don't know it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all of your help everyone. I believe I followed the instructions clearly. Also yes, I have only slept a few hours so far. I keep waking up feeling ill (this is a normal thing as of the last 6 months, which is why I got my sleep study and diagnosed with moderate obstructive sleep apnea). However, I am not sure why I keep waking up feeling ill when this program shows no apneas but somehow the pressure increases. Very confusing. I will also try adjusting the pressure to what Opal suggested and see how that works. Here's the graph again, any more info you guys can give?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2018, 08:30 AM)xeno Wrote: Thank you for all of your help everyone. I believe I followed the instructions clearly. Also yes, I have only slept a few hours so far. I keep waking up feeling ill (this is a normal thing as of the last 6 months, which is why I got my sleep study and diagnosed with moderate obstructive sleep apnea). However, I am not sure why I keep waking up feeling ill when this program shows no apneas but somehow the pressure increases. Very confusing. I will also try adjusting the pressure to what Opal suggested and see how that works. Here's the graph again, any more info you guys can give?

It's your Flow Limitations that are driving your pressure increases. They are precursors to apnea's, so the machine jacks up the pressure to try to stop it going into a full-blown apnea.

Also realize that Sleep Apnea is not the only thing out there that causes sleep disturbances. It's a good start to finding out what is causing you to feel ill, but you might need to follow up with the doctor to find out what's next.

I encourage you to make the change Opal suggested, AND to start increasing your sleeping time with your machine turned on while wearing your mask. Keep a sleep diary if need be, I use the "Notes" tab on Sleepyhead to keep detailed notes on my nights. Such as if I changed the pressure, what meds I took before bed that particular night, do I remember more leaks, during the night, did I feel ok that morning or sicker/more tired that morning etc, etc. It really helps keeping track from night to night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree, very good idea on keeping a sleep diary.  I did that in the beginning of my therapy, as I would tend to forget how I felt after making changes, unless recorded somewhere.  

Once you make that change to your pressure, take note if you see apneas occurring.  Then you may have to adjust the pressure to compensate.  

As far as feeling ill upon waking after 6 months on Apap, I suggest if you haven't done so already is to see your doctor and get a complete physical checkup.
Have you had your Thyroid checked?  What about Vitamin D levels?
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Machine Increases Pressure Without Input JeffNC 7 398 01-30-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 832 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  6+ of CPAP, but symptoms are coming back for some reason terrytorres 7 638 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
Question Pressure on eyes, what could be the reason? newbieusa 4 510 09-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 678 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.