Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure increases without any significant OA's
RE: Pressure increases without any significant OA's
(11-27-2018, 12:58 PM)zzzlessinMS Wrote: Do you remember dreaming around these times?  I wake up with heart racing and fast breathing after a dream (good or bad).

BTW.  I found my Contec oximeter was low by as much as 10% when done at same time as doctor's pro equipment.  So 83 could really be 93.  Don't put too much confidence in OTC oximeters.

No i dont remember dreaming. I know some oximeters can be quite inaccurate. But the O2 drops correspond to the exact times of my OA's and CA's. So that can't be coincidence.

I'd really like to get the official ResMed O2 sensor to prove to my doctors what is going on, but it is expensive. And I doubt even with the official O2 sensor, they would care, because these drops don't happen enough for them to care. They are not concerned with less then a dozen O2 drops a night. But I am, due to my AFIB condition. Anything can trigger my AFIB or arrhythmia. If I have ANY kind of leaking, I start having weird breathing issues with palpitations, and in the past this has caused ventricular bigemeny and afib. I don't want that happening anymore.

Is a drop to 80% for a short period over only a few times a night, still considered "okay" by most sleep doctors?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2018, 11:31 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Flow limitations and snores both will cause an increase in pressure. If you look at your flow limitation chart you'll see it matches with your pressure rising.

So I had increased my maximum pressure to IPAP 18, because during my last sleep study, they made it 14, and I kept hitting the max. So far I'm only reaching IPAP 16 last few nights, but still getting flow limitations.

I woke up at around 4am with my chest/stomach burning. I thought it was acid issue, so took a Pepcid. That seemed to help. I'm on a blood thinner for clots so could be affecting my stomach. I need to schedule an upper endoscopy and colonscopy according to my doctor.

1. Can acid reflux or stomach acid issues cause flow limitations?   
2. Could this increased pressure during night, cause respiratory distress, causing that burning sensation?
3. I guess the PES test won't help me, since the only solution to UARS would be to increase pressure, just like SDB/OSA?

The last few nights, my pressures have been going up for a few hours. It used to stay very low at the lowest setting 8/4 or 9/5 all night long, and also was that low during my sleep study.

[Image: 1YhCGrb.png]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
I would guess the gag reflex you'd have with acid problems would look like flow limitations. In both cases the airway is being closed off. The machine can't tell the difference.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2018, 11:19 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I would guess the gag reflex you'd have with acid problems would look like flow limitations. In both cases the airway is being closed off. The machine can't tell the difference.

I started taking Pepcid, according to my doctor, at night before going to bed. This has so far relieved most of the burning symptoms. I am scheduled next month for Upper Endoscopy and Colonoscopy with my GI doctor.

But tonight...I had an issue again with my knees bent up in the air while laying on my back. It happened the same time as the pressure increases, and flow limitations. In my webcam video, I kept my knees bent for a least one hour during this time. Then I woke up at 2:35am.

Not sure what to think about that and what is causing me to bend knees at night? Is it the breathing issue or just something I've always done at night?
I do remember before I was on CPAP/BIPAP, I would wake up some times with my knees bent, and wondered what was going on.

[Image: XfXuuuO.png]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2018, 04:51 PM)MyronH Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 12:58 PM)zzzlessinMS Wrote: Do you remember dreaming around these times?  I wake up with heart racing and fast breathing after a dream (good or bad).

BTW.  I found my Contec oximeter was low by as much as 10% when done at same time as doctor's pro equipment.  So 83 could really be 93.  Don't put too much confidence in OTC oximeters.

No i dont remember dreaming. I know some oximeters can be quite inaccurate. But the O2 drops correspond to the exact times of my OA's and CA's. So that can't be coincidence.

I'd really like to get the official ResMed O2 sensor to prove to my doctors what is going on, but it is expensive. And I doubt even with the official O2 sensor, they would care, because these drops don't happen enough for them to care. They are not concerned with less then a dozen O2 drops a night. But I am, due to my AFIB condition. Anything can trigger my AFIB or arrhythmia. If I have ANY kind of leaking, I start having weird breathing issues with palpitations, and in the past this has caused ventricular bigemeny and afib. I don't want that happening anymore.

Is a drop to 80% for a short period over only a few times a night, still considered "okay" by most sleep doctors?

IMO I think "89% or less and under 5 minutes per night" is the criteria that you're not doing "acceptable".
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 946 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 68 6,279 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 145 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Machine Increases Pressure Without Input JeffNC 7 428 01-30-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 432 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 761 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,020 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.