Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure near top of range on most nights
Pressure near top of range on most nights
I suppose this is an obvious question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. My Airsense Autoset has been consistently reporting pressure around 11.9 on my nightly statistics (my range is 7-12) for the last week or so, whereas a month or two ago, pressure was around 8-9.

My AHI's are usually < 0.5, but I'm wondering if I should still try bumping up my max pressure? According to ResScan, the machine is responding mostly to snore events. I have also been fighting a cold, so I'm wondering if that's causing more breathing issues.

Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure near top of range on most nights
Max pressure is going to go only as high as necessary, so it sounds like you have it set at, or near your maximum pressure. You could raise it, but I wouldn't expect it to make much difference. Congrats on your very effective therapy. If you're polling for votes, mine would be, leave it alone.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
And, a cold can also be in the mix.
The goal is to have a wide enough range to cover different sleep postures, illness, weather, allergies...

Sounds like you're in the right place. If it hits 12 and stays there for some time, then a bump up in upper limit would be in order.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If your AHI is that low and if you generally feel well (other than having a cold), then I would wait till your cold goes away and see if the pressure line is still hugging the ceiling. Even then, you may not want to trade off more pressure for fewer snores -- sometimes higher pressures can start getting more disruptive to overall sleep quality than the snores were. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2015, 01:57 AM)kaiasgram Wrote: Even then, you may not want to trade off more pressure for fewer snores -- sometimes higher pressures can start getting more disruptive to overall sleep quality than the snores were. Smile

I hadn't considered that. Thanks for the feedback. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2015, 05:49 PM)Possum Wrote: I suppose this is an obvious question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. My Airsense Autoset has been consistently reporting pressure around 11.9 on my nightly statistics (my range is 7-12) for the last week or so, whereas a month or two ago, pressure was around 8-9.

Are you referring to your maximum pressure, median, or 90th percentile? We'd need to see all those values.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2015, 05:49 PM)Possum Wrote: According to ResScan, the machine is responding mostly to snore events. I have also been fighting a cold, so I'm wondering if that's causing more breathing issues.

Any thoughts?
Snoring and FL are minor obstructions but nevertheless are obstruction, the machine see them as apnea (obstructive ones, not central) in the making and respond with pressure increase to prevent apnea from occurring in the first place. As justMongo mentioned having a cold can be a factor especially when the nose get stuffy and using a nasal mask, full face mask can helps in this situation but never worked for me YMMV

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2015, 10:59 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Are you referring to your maximum pressure, median, or 90th percentile? We'd need to see all those values.

Sorry for the lack of precision - rookie mistake! Here is my pressure data for the last 2 weeks in reverse chronological order:

Max P95 Med
11.9 11.2 10.3
11.2 10.6 8.8
12.0 11.9 10.6
12.0 11.9 10.0
12.0 11.9 10.4
11.9 11.2 9.6
11.9 11.5 10.1
11.6 11.3 9.8
11.9 11.0 8.8
11.4 10.3 9.1
11.9 10.0 8.8
11.8 10.9 9.2
11.9 11.9 10.8
Post Reply Post Reply
Possum, wait till you are over your cold, then see what happens. Although your AHI is so low, I don't see a problem.

Raising your max pressure doesn't make sense unless your graphs show you that you are bumping to higher pressure and staying there in response to apneas.

Just looking at your Med pressure numbers, your start pressure should be closer to those numbers.
You may want to bump your start pressure to 8 in time.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2015, 04:27 PM)Possum Wrote: Max P95 Med
11.9 11.2 10.3
11.2 10.6 8.8
12.0 11.9 10.6
12.0 11.9 10.0
12.0 11.9 10.4
11.9 11.2 9.6
11.9 11.5 10.1
11.6 11.3 9.8
11.9 11.0 8.8
11.4 10.3 9.1
11.9 10.0 8.8
11.8 10.9 9.2
11.9 11.9 10.8

Those numbers indicate that you are spending a lot of time near the high end of your pressure range. Even though your AHI is low the flow limitation could be interfering with the quality of your sleep. Unless an increase in pressure would cause discomfort, I would consider raising the high end of the pressure range a bit to see what happens.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 251 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,424 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 452 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  What should my pressure range be? tomkelly 4 421 01-09-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,639 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.