Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Auto A-flex cpap
New Auto A-flex cpap
Hi there, I just got a new cpap!

Philips Respironics System One RemStar Auto with A-Flex 550p. I picked it up for $150 with just 22 hours of use =D

So my question is, where should I start the pressure range settings? I was set at 11 with my cpap. This being an auto though, should I leave it at 5-20, or should I narrow it further in? My old machine didn't give me any useful data to compare with, so I feel like I am having to baseline from scratch.

I could work with the technicians, but I don't feel like paying my deductible in December. For now, I know I could turn it to cpap mode and leave it at 11 and be ok, but I'd like to try and take advantage of the better technology.

Last night I set it to 7-12. I feel like it worked pretty well, but I'm not sure if the minimum pressure was high enough. My AHI was 3.62, which seems pretty good overall.

I'd love to hear some recommendations.

http:// imgur.com/xJoY2Df
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Auto A-flex cpap
Id set my min at 9 max about 15
Then monitor data with sleepyhead.
I have the same machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2015, 01:43 PM)srmousse Wrote: So my question is, where should I start the pressure range settings? I was set at 11 with my cpap. This being an auto though, should I leave it at 5-20, or should I narrow it further in? My old machine didn't give me any useful data to compare with, so I feel like I am having to baseline from scratch.

A lot of people feel like they can't breathe @5. I'd probably start the minimum pressure at 6 or 7, use it for a few days or a week, then check the data in Sleepyhead and see where it spends most of it's time.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, that confirms what I was thinking. I'll bump the min to 9 and max to 15 and leave it for a couple nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2015, 01:43 PM)srmousse Wrote: Last night I set it to 7-12. I feel like it worked pretty well, but I'm not sure if the minimum pressure was high enough. My AHI was 3.62, which seems pretty good overall.

As you get the lower limit closer to where it needs to be, your AHI will probably drop more. If you find the machine bumping into the upper limit, you might want to try raising that a little. The machine won't go there unless it needs to.

The machines try to walk the line between preventing your apneas and waking you up with rapid pressure changes, so the closer it starts to where it needs to be, the better you'll sleep.

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure to delete any previous patient content that might be on the machine by getting into the clinical menu (from setup, press ramp and control knob until 2-beeps), then turn to Info and Reset Data. If you don't do this, any therapy sessions that might have been recorded in the short time this was someone elses machine will show up in your data. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info! Super helpful each of you!!

Very helpful to know about the minimum. That makes a lot of sense.

I'll make sure to get the data reset. I meant to do that last night but forgot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi srmousse,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, so last night my AHI was down to 2.76! I'm gonna leave the settings where they are for a few more days and see how it works. I wish I could have been able to collect this kind of data before. I am really curious now how this machine performs vs the other one. I will say, I have only been able to judge effectiveness based on how I feel, and I have to say, I think I am feeling better today than I have been... super subjective, I know, but it's something.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing you can compare it what the Auto did in terms of pressure, compared to the 11.0 of the old machine. It's not much, but it gives you an idea of how close the old fixed pressure was.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 229 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 438 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 634 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 626 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 618 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,085 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  Auto-adjusting CPAP as replacement in Philips Recall Speusippus 1 644 08-14-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.