Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure on CPAP
Angry 
Pressure on CPAP
I took my sleep study test an measured a 5, yet they set my pressure at a 16. Why? My mask therapist said she has never set a 16 for anyone. She said that my pressure is too high and I should ask to have it lowered. I did and have not heard anything.

jal7148
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure on CPAP
To make sure we understand you correctly:

You had a sleep study. During which they determined your treatment pressure should be 5.
You pick up the machine, but the doc order said to set it to 16, not 5.

The treatment pressure of 16 is not unheard of so not sure what the supplier meant.

If this is the scenario, then call the doc office and insist on speaking with the doc's assistant (usually a nurse) and explain the problem to that person. Tell him/her you expect an answer within 24hrs.

While you have them on the phone, also request a copy of your sleep study and the interpretation, if you do not already have it. This is part of your medical record and they cannot deny it to you. The nurse may say it is a complicated document but don't believe it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jal7148,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Best of luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
5 seems incredibly low to me. I don't think I've ever been below 9, even when I first developed apnea. 16 is not unheard of. I'm on 15. I've been up to 23. The machines go up to 25, sometimes 30. Are you sure 5 is the pressure from the study? Sounds more like an AHI (number of breathing incidents per hour). Can you get a copy of the study report from your doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2013, 11:27 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: To make sure we understand you correctly:

You had a sleep study. During which they determined your treatment pressure should be 5.
You pick up the machine, but the doc order said to set it to 16, not 5.

The treatment pressure of 16 is not unheard of so not sure what the supplier meant.

If this is the scenario, then call the doc office and insist on speaking with the doc's assistant (usually a nurse) and explain the problem to that person. Tell him/her you expect an answer within 24hrs.

While you have them on the phone, also request a copy of your sleep study and the interpretation, if you do not already have it. This is part of your medical record and they cannot deny it to you. The nurse may say it is a complicated document but don't believe it.

Post Reply Post Reply

I was measured at a 5 for the sleep study---not the pressure. At a 5, I am told, very low and that they usually don't start with a CPAP until 6. I don't care about that. It is the pressure that is set at 16. The mask gets all kinds of air gaps, but when I get it seated well, it is ok. I have slept with it the last two nights with no problems. Funny, that I got your reply because the doctor's office called and said that he ordered it to be turned down to a 13. I think this will be MUCH better. Thank you so much for replying.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep study number was 37. They first set my pressure at 8 and most nights I was between 2 and 5 AHI with a Swift FX Nasal mask after a month the RN lowered my pressure to 6 and my nightly AHI numbers are now below 1. The lowered pressure eliminated most mask leaks.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 237 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 278 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 449 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 581 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,643 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.